Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 AM

3,321 posts, read 7,930,478 times

Advertisements

So heres my background. I was pretty fat when I was in middle school. I'm 27 now and I weigh about the same back when I was 10-13, 170 pounds or so. I tried on some shorts from back last week, 1-2 inches loose on me. Now, I HATED HATED being fat so I lost weight and got skinny enough to become a X-country runner a few years later in high school. Since then, I've always been into fitness in one form or another.

As I get older, I don't take overweight people under say 40 years old seriously. I know with age losing weight gets harder so I give older people slack. However, with people my age and younger regardless of sex...I don't respect them. In fact, I don't befriend overweight people. Now, an extra 10-20 pounds is one thing but I mean fat. Getting tired doing basic stuff like walk around a mall or climb some stairs without getting exhausted. When overweight people give me advice, I ignore it regardless of topic. My good friends can tell know this about me and they can tell the difference with my demeanor and attitude. When I'm at work, I fight this but its always in the back of my mind especially when prior managers are overweight.

And yes I know how shallow this makes me look but its more than that too me. It's a complete lack of self-respect and willingness to live a better life. I know, people have health issues but I really doubt so many people have "thyroid" conditions. In fact, I use to have a low thyroid count when I was 20 and nearly needed medicine. I just changed my diet and exercised more.

I'm able to do whatever I want without feeling embarrassed about my looks. I don't get nervous at theme parks and the awkward seating. I go to the beach and walk around shirtless with no worries...minus a minor farmers tan. I think things like that worth so much in ones life and you can change it with just a few months of dedication. I have a few friends who don't work out nearly as much as I do and they are in better shape. They got a better luck of the draw but all that means too me, I need to work a little harder than most.

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?

Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,863,053 times
I have to admit that at one time I was farely judgmental over obeasity, my daughter struggled with it a her life having alergies and health issues that made finding foods that didn't give her some kind of odd reaction.
Some people have thyroid issues and others have injuries that prevent excessive excersize. Not every one can afoard a swimming pool,or accesss to one .
Eating is a dicipline and a tougher one now days; with markets charging extra for the healthy food than the junk food .
Growth hormones in meat are a leading cause "I think " that skinning and cooking vegitables habitually too long removing most of the food value, which is not much, seeing that the ground they grow in is sevirely depleated in mineral content .
This day and age is also loaded with stress, both at work and privately, and people tend to eat with out thinking . It is a last comfortable thing to do when other comforts are evaporating.
If you are skinny or fit ,good for you ,just remember there are stresses that go with that too that can be just as dammaging .

Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
Then it's a good thing you won't associate with fat people. Good for the fat people not to have to be around someone like you. So what sort of job do you have? Any medical conditions? No? Then consider yourself lucky. I started putting on weight after my shoulder injury. I went from the best shape of my life to not being able to do half the exercises I did before. I was in the Navy at the time. I was forced out for not being able to pass the fitness test due to my injury. Then came depression, I'm talking about hardcore clinical depression. My life is stable employment wise (same job for 13 years). But my job is a rotating shift job. You try finding a steady exercise routine and diet working 11pm-7am 7 days straight, 2 days off, 3pm-11pm 7 days straight, 2 days off, 7am-3pm 6 days straight, 4 days off, repeat rotation. I do this while taking care of my home and my wife (who also is overweight, who has multiple spinal problems and is on very strong pain medicine. Almost a month ago, I was also caring for her 86 year old father who lived with us, he passed away. We're starting to get back to normal and I'll be going back to the gym again soon in another attempt to lose this weight. Besides what goes on at home, my job is pretty stressful. I work in a hospital boiler room. No big deal? I'm just responsible for an entire 11 floor hospital's comfort and safety. I'm the non-medical emergency first responder. Fire, someone trapped in an elevator, power outage, loss of medical gas, and many other emergencies are my responsibility. On nights and weekends, there's only one person covering the entire hospital. We sometimes get called to the ER when they need tools to use on whatever is attached to a patient. I wore a pedometer to work for a week and averaged 3 miles of walking a day on the job. The gym I go to isn't filled with slim beautiful people. Many are overweight and trying to get in shape. I'd rather be around overweight people who are trying than a shallow, egotistical, stuck-up witch like yourself.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,378,265 times
Disgusting post.

I hope that people like you get to meet a lady named karma someday.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,300,972 times
I guess distancing yourself from overweight people, kind of makes it so it won't happen to you again in your own head..or you hate what you are or were ...everyone who can't stand something about someone else, hates that part of themselves. I hate controlling people and have to watch to try not to be controlling. No one is perfect, whether it be weight related or otherwise. If you see obesity as a bad character trait, so be it...But you only have to live in your own skin, not someone elses. So maybe thinking of it that way, will allow you to be more tolerant. I'd rather be fat than stupid, there's no cure for stupidity. By stupid, I don't mean people who don't know something, I'm talking stupid/ignorant/narrowminded...So there are worse things than just having too much weight.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
To the OP, ever hear of Richard Simmons? At one time he was over 300 lbs. when he lost the weight, he didn't behave like you. Instead he did the opposite. He reached out to those overweight people you hate so much in an effort to help them instead of hating them. He's been doing this for over 30 years.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,551,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?
It's pretty common for people to "hate" other people for what they "hate" in themselves.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 AM

568 posts, read 958,218 times
You are just a huge prick.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
We all have flaws. We all lack self-discipline in one way or other, or most of us. What about smokers, who are killing themselves with cigarettes, or alcoholics, or people who eat too much salt, or people who engage in risky behaviour? Do you not respect them either?

Can't you respect them as people? How does fat make anything they said void? So if a fat guy was an expert on say, cooking, you'd just ignore it? I think you've just got a deep-seated prejudice against them, maybe they remind you of the you you hated? Maybe they represent your worst nightmares? I think you need to get over whatever it is you have. You've got over the physical part of losing weight, now you probably need to sort out the emotional transition.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
hmmm, judging people by how much they weigh, interesting concept,kinda similar to judging a book by its cover..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.