Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My older son died when he was only 37...My younger son just turned 40. He's been dealing with cancerous brain tumors that keep growing back...Most of the people in my family died far younger than I ever would have expected...So I don't go by statistics anymore. A surprising number of my friends also died at a younger age...These days I just take things "day by day" because there's no telling what might be around the next "corner."...I tend to view my life as a series of "chapters." And each "chapter" gave me the opportunity to see new "sides" to myself...Each "chapter" challenged me to grow and step outside my "box" and self-imposed limitations. (In other words.)....I'm still "here" so I figure that I must have a "chapter" or two left to "write" and new things to learn. But who knows? I could "kick the bucket" tomorrow!
Sorry to hear about your loss...

It is good you can take each 'chapter' afresh. I've been determined to turn around my life, do a complete 180, for awhile now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There is a freedom in having 'nothing to lose.' I felt that when I was in Boston for a few days, I was psyching myself up for death. Long story.
I'd be interested to hear it as I lived up there for a while and can probably relate. Feel free to DM me if you want.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'd be interested to hear it as I lived up there for a while and can probably relate. Feel free to DM me if you want.
Well basically I was 100% convinced I was going to die on about three occasions while in the US. It involved visits to the ER, and two weeks in the psychiatric ward at Beth Israel, in Boston. I felt the muscles in my throat seize up and that they were slowly constricting my throat. I was convinced they were going to cut off my air supply. When I was in New York, one day I just swallowed hard and it felt like my muscles didn't relax: my jaw locked up: I couldn't open it, it was paralyzed...but it turned out it was extreme anxiety a panic attack and I guess I made myself believe it was happening because I was holding it in place...I would feel the air cut off, I remember slumping down on a sidewalk and waiting to die, I called a cab and was rushed to the hospital, outside the hospital I was nearly swiped by a car so talk about a two in one...I'm not sure if my musculature has been permanently affected even today, and even today I feel I've forgotten how to speak, get panicky at times when I feel my muscles get really tight.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Amen, God give me faith! It's still sad knowing the majority will go to 'destruction' but I guess at least there is a way.

If not this then I used to wish Reincarnation was true.
Faith based on a historical Person who accomplished what no other person ever has or could ; because Jesus' coming fulfilled some 200 seperate prophecies made 600+ years prior including crucifixion which wasnt even invented yet , declared he would beat death after 3 days, then accomplished it and showed himself to over 500 people for the next 40 days...whatever HE says gets my vote and total trust. This in and of itself, discounts reincarnation ; rather, its ressurection .

It would behoove every single person to look into the credibility of Jesus since the stakes are so very high . What could be more important than ones eternal residence (?) . Certainly not living some 60-80 years on earth IF youre lucky. Sometimes life isnt even out of the womb for many (who have to pay the price for our Countries favorite pastime of sexual hedonism gone further wrong) . <<< Ill bet that will ruffle a few feathers in here...lol...

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Faith based on a historical Person who accomplished what no other person ever has or could ; because Jesus' coming fulfilled some 200 seperate prophecies made 600+ years prior including crucifixion which wasnt even invented yet , declared he would beat death after 3 days, then accomplished it and showed himself to over 500 people for the next 40 days...whatever HE says gets my vote and total trust. This in and of itself, discounts reincarnation ; rather, its ressurection .

It would behoove every single person to look into the credibility of Jesus since the stakes are so very high . What could be more important than ones eternal residence (?) . Certainly not living some 60-80 years on earth IF youre lucky. Sometimes life isnt even out of the womb for many (who have to pay the price for our Countries favorite pastime of sexual hedonism gone further wrong) . <<< Ill bet that will ruffle a few feathers in here...lol...
I don't think I could go back to believing in eternal hellfire for most of humanity, I think the 'lost' will just be just either destroyed/die or be re-united with God. But I agree with you, more people should.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,257 times
Trimac20...I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for starting such interesting threads too. You definitely have an "inquiring mind" and tons of curiosity about all aspects of life. Good for you!..Thanks for all the "food for thought!" I think you have a great future ahead!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Think about it...your 'prime years' are supposed to be say, 25 to 50, that's barely 25 years! The first 18 years at least are spent at home, so that's a mere 62 years of independent life if you make it to 80, assuming you can't still look after yourself... and in this youth-obsessed society even 40 is considered a bit 'oldish', although thankfully 40 is the 'new 30' as they say. Still, if you consider that we sleep 1/3 of the time, 2/3 of 25 is a mere 17 or so years! So in effect, the 'prime' of one's life is barely 17 years!

It kind of hits home how absurdly short life is. It literally feels like I was 21 yesterday, and now I'm nearly 30! I hate how you're expected to 'settle down' by 30 and stuff, when I feel I haven't even begun my independent life. My 20s are more than 1/2 over already. It's just a number, anyway, why do people obsess so much over it? It's probably not good to think of life being SO short, but it literally feels like a blink of an eye, like the next moment I'll be a sad, old, near-virginal man dying alone.
Wait till you're 54, sweetie.

Life IS short, very short.

But somehow I don't think you'll be a sad, old, near-virginal man dying alone, lol. One day you might decide that the single party-time life is boring and look for someone with whom you share the same dreams for your future. Maybe you won't--but what you make of the time you're given is largely up to you.

I have a sister who is 60 who probably doesn't have long to live. I lost a brother who died at the age of 51, too.

And almost 11 years ago, I was carrying a cup of coffee and my breakfast from my work cafeteria one beautiful morning when someone flew a jet into my building. Within a couple of hours more than 80 of my coworkers were dead, some in the prime of their lives, along with a couple thousand other people who worked where I did. We don't know when we wake up each morning whether or not we will see the sunset, so the best you can do is live today and take a few moments out here and there to appreciate the little things. It sounds corny, I know, but smell the flowers, look for the colors in the sky, watch a bird or a small animal going about its day, examine closely a seashell. Just take a minute or two each day to do those things and appreciate Life.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Quote:
Well basically I was 100% convinced I was going to die on about three occasions while in the US. It involved visits to the ER, and two weeks in the psychiatric ward at Beth Israel, in Boston. I felt the muscles in my throat seize up and that they were slowly constricting my throat. I was convinced they were going to cut off my air supply. When I was in New York, one day I just swallowed hard and it felt like my muscles didn't relax: my jaw locked up: I couldn't open it, it was paralyzed...but it turned out it was extreme anxiety a panic attack and I guess I made myself believe it was happening because I was holding it in place...I would feel the air cut off, I remember slumping down on a sidewalk and waiting to die, I called a cab and was rushed to the hospital, outside the hospital I was nearly swiped by a car so talk about a two in one...I'm not sure if my musculature has been permanently affected even today, and even today I feel I've forgotten how to speak, get panicky at times when I feel my muscles get really tight.
Wow, did you ever get to the bottom of what triggered those panic attacks and why they occurred here in the US?

That's never happened to me. I don't usually get actual panic attacks that often. I just have pretty bad and debilitating anxiety.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
This fact, that life is indeed short, was brought home to me the other day when I decided to put together a scrapbook. I'm not a scrapbooking type of person, but it seems like a fun project. People may accuse me of being maudlin, but I began to think, "I'm 48 (almost 49) now. How many years will I get to enjoy this scrapbook before I die, and my kids decide to toss it? 30 or 40 years, if I'm lucky?" Thirty years seems like a long time when you're younger, but considering I was already 18 years old thirty years ago?! Umm... And the truth is that I may not have that long; I could die in five or ten years, maybe even sooner. I try not to dwell on this, because to constantly think about death means you're not appreciating the life you have at this moment, but the thought tends to sneak in every so often.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:09 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
Trimac, is it possible you have an allergy? Your symptoms sound more like that, than a panic attack. I have panic disorder and I breathe well even in the midst of the fear. But an allergy, medicines, pollen, foods, will all make the throat constrict. Plez visit an allergist and let them do a skin test on you, to MAKE SURE it's not allergy. Also, there's a few antipsychotic medicines that can make your throat close up like that. On the other hand, if it is actually part of your anxiety, as long as you are taking a proper tranquilizer or medicine to prevent those, you shouldn't have to deal with a full-blown panic attack again. I take several meds and went thru a year of behavior therapy, and while I occasionally feel quite nervous, I haven't been in an attack for more than ten years. It blew up outta nowhere on account of a car accident I never got over.

As for how short life is, yes, it is short, relatively speaking. It all depends on how you look at it. You see, the human being has a powerful imagination, and they can really trip out on the littlest things, and wind up in a dark hole and not know how to get out. So, we have to flip the switch in our minds and quit all that negative thinking, and instead focus on REALLY pleasant things to do, just by getting out and walking a lot in pretty places, learning how to play guitar, taking tango dance lessons, reading a lot, watching lots of good movies, keeping a pet, making friends and joining groups that go hiking or whatever recreation is in the area, working hard at what you do, and if you don't like what you do, go to a day-school tech college for very little dollars and learn something you DO like to do. This is known as looking OUTWARD, not inward, and thus giving becomes a way of life, looking for kindnesses to do for others, loving someone or something, accepting rough patches and moving forward.

We are allowed a few minutes of doom and gloom over weekly ruin and whatnot, but for crying out loud, don't spend so much time trying to figure out infinity and the human condition; rather seek the how-comes and wherefores of reality, get really good at SOMEthing, I don't care if it's Soduku puzzles or sloshing some paint on a canvas and selling it for $3 million. As the Nike ad says, "Just Do It." And if you can't, well, you already been put in a psych ward, so go to one again if you get to feeling a little too strange. Just deal with this whole thing in a more positive way, lighten up on this unknowable stuff, get you a faith, maybe you need a bronchio dialator, you know, an inhaler, in case your throat closes up again you can use it to breathe, and keep Valium on your person and chew some up VERY fast so it will relax those frozen muscles. And talk to a psych doc now and then, let them help you sort thru your scary thoughts and steer you right again once in a while. It's just a phase you're going thru, don't you know?! GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology