Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM

297 posts, read 897,524 times

Advertisements

To me it was when I realized that all the knowledge in the world might not be able to fill an emptiness that I constantly felt, and even so, any particular individual can only absorb a very small portion of all the knowledge that exists, given the capabilities we have today...

Yours doesn't need to be as abstract as mine, but it can if you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,236,702 times
Going to college. I anticipated learning all sorts of big words I could use. And learning everything there was to know!

Actually I learned how much there is to learn about and how much I do not know. So I left college feeling dumber than when I entered!

And I learned that when choosing words to use, the idea is to communicate with the reader or listener. And to use only words the other person will likely understand. Therefore it is best to NOT use all those big words you learn in college as some people will not know what you are talking about!

Note: It is even worse for newspaper writers and the like. Their customers include teenagers, so the stories need to be written to that level.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,294,563 times
I had to face all kinds of feelings (and fears) when the doctor told my husband that he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer and probably didn't have long to live...Whoa! My husband had always been so "fit" and healthy. I thought we'd have 20 years (or longer) together...I wasn't prepared to "lose him" at all! He managed to stay active and in "good spirits" most of the time despite all his chemo treatments and outpatient surgeries etc...He managed to live for 13 months after his diagnosis. And then he had to "go."...I've had so many deaths in my family over the past couple of years. This has definitely "humbled" me!.. Since our time on earth could be "short" I don't want to spend my time "bickering" with family members or friends. Or playing silly "games!"..There's just no telling who might "go" next! (Maybe even me!)...When I was younger I thought we'd all live "long lives." I thought I had all the time in the world to "fix things" and "heal things" in my relationships. But this may not always be true...My older son died when he was only 37. There's no telling when death may come "knocking" at our "door." So I don't want to take anyone "for granted" anymore. Or operate under the assumption that the people I care about will always "stick around" just for me! And "out-live" me!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM

370 posts, read 652,381 times
When my partner of several years left me. I literally wanted to die but gosh it was humbling. I had a reawakening of the soul after. Breakups are intensely humbling. It taught me to love deeper and not take things for granted. I know most of go through atleast one breakup so its queit normal. But to me was very humbling.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM

64 posts, read 66,817 times
When I realized God loves me and cares for me deeper than anything and anyone I have ever known. To feel his holy presence and absolute pure love....there is nothing like it in the world.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM

235 posts, read 534,602 times
When I left my faith...thought I would try life on my own without my God. I learned that people in this world really do not care about you--will use you for what they want and then toss you to the curb. During that time I spent a few days in a homeless shelter, lived in my car a few weeks, and got in and out bad relationships & bad habits. I discovered how bad I *didn't* have it before. That was truly humbling for me.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,659,185 times
I think it was when I finally came to terms with the horribleness of my past, confronting the issue, and getting through to the other side. I could have easily killed myself. Realizing that I couldn't, or didn't want to? It's quite humbling when you can't even think of a real reason why..

Then going through life a bit and pretending as if you're just normal..lol...as everyone else does.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,857,609 times
The awareness of my own mortality always humbles me lest I get too prideful.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,829,502 times
Some of the hurt I had caused my parents came back to me through someone close. Its karma. Now I know how it feels to point other's mistakes, act rude & judge them harshly.

Made me realize that your parents are not perfect angels but human beings with flaws. They tried to do their best to raise you & even though you hold them responsible for some of the craziness in your life, you do have to believe they tried their best. So forgive them. You cant hold them responsible for everything in your life. Nobody is perfect. We idolize our parents as super human who have control over everything that affects you & if something bad happens you think they did not do enough to protect you. They grew up in a different time with different values & whatever they taught you was someting they believed to be good for you. You might not see it that way but you have to believe their intention was good. We would have the same conflicts with our kids because of generation gap. Its only natural but you will have to overcome this human flaw & be reasonable.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:42 AM

588 posts, read 953,689 times
When my identity was stolen by someone very close to me. Horrible experience, yet to have come out of it stronger & smarter...wow. Very humbling, going through the process of clearing your name, trying to forgive, and realizing bad things happen to good people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology