Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM

235 posts, read 536,173 times

Advertisements

Personally, I feel that part of it is the lack of competent mental health treatment, access to mental health treatment, and willingness to seek mental health treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
I would say that better mental health screening would reduce the risk of such awful shootings from occurring. I don't think guns themselves are to blame, but I do wonder why this seems to happen in the US more than in other developed countries (and I don't feel comfortable even trying to speculate at this stage as I wasn't born & raised in this country).

I do recognise that there's a common pattern in many of these killers, including the Virginia Tech shooter. They are usually loners who were possibly bullied badly at school and were outcasts. When you throw in undiagnosed or untreated mental illness, you have a potentially dangerous cocktail, which is why I say that more resources should be put into screening people for mental illnesses and trying to prevent such people from getting their hands on deadly weapons.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 AM

657 posts, read 716,636 times
remember the world we leave to our children's children. right now it would suck. we have to change this? how

Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
I think that most of us generally are cordial with our neighbors. I dont generally ask them for anything because Im not that type of guy. Now if they ask for a favor I'll probably do it just because im a nice guy.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM

a women must have read this article cause now she charging 60 an hour for hugs.

maybe i go see her

Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Become less reliant on technology by actually engaging in the community?

It's hard, because we don't want to move backwards by eliminating our modern advancements, mostly forwards.

Modes of communication such as transporting in one's car is also very impersonal, because you have thin pieces of metal that separates you from the other person in traffic, and you forget there is actually another human being inside that car not just a fast moving thingamajig.

If you've ever traveled to countries where people bike on mopeds and the city life is much more lively, and people are usually out and about, it's a totally different lifestyle.

You can feel the energy that's alive, because people are constantly interacting face-to-face. Pretty exciting!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
No fathers, no discipline, feminism, & decades of liberal policies = broken family unit + messed up society we have today. It has nothing to do with technology. You break down the family unit, you break down the country. Simple.
I would agree

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The simple answer is that a murderer is just plain evil. I have a BS in psychology, but what I finally figured out is that the typical models of human behavior I learned in college are useless. They never take into account the simple fact that people are evil by nature.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
The simple answer is that a murderer is just plain evil. I have a BS in psychology, but what I finally figured out is that the typical models of human behavior I learned in college are useless. They never take into account the simple fact that people are evil by nature.
you can't predict the behavior of humans. your odds are better at winning the lotto.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
All people are capable of murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology