Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM

588 posts, read 956,854 times

Advertisements

Something I've noticed, and that's happened to me: When a person in need (financially, emotionally or physically) is helped by someone, that individual develops a crush on the "rescuer".
On the flip side, the one who comes to the aid of a friend or stranger can develop feelings for that person.
For instance, a client who sees a therapist can become smitten with her. Or a friend who is mourning the death of a loved one may come to have feelings for the person she leans on the most during that difficult time. A while ago, I developed a huge crush on a man I'd felt an urge to help; he'd lost his mother unexpectedly to cancer.
Has this ever happened to anyone?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
Yes it does happen frequently. It's always helpful in the healing process to have the hero/rescuer abandon their client or the person in need to help them heal alone. This enables a person to get in touch with their own feelings of worthlessness and helplessness. They soon learn to self sooth without needing to rely on others.

The song from Keith Urban "You'll Think Of Me" comes to mind for women who are endlessly obsessed with one man while spending her entire life with other men. For women are trapped in a constant state of fantasy, there's Daryl Hall's "Dreamtime."

Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 AM

Absolutely. Being the rescuer, I finally had to summon the strength to let him go so he could learn to self soothe and I could stop the nurturing rescuer role.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Something I've noticed, and that's happened to me: When a person in need (financially, emotionally or physically) is helped by someone, that individual develops a crush on the "rescuer".
You noticed that huh?
Most "rescuers" know this in advance... even if they w/don't admit it to themselves up front.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Yep. Uh huh. Noticed it after it happened. Wasn't thinking to myself beforehand, 'Hmm, he's going to probably fall for me when I help him deal with his mother's death...'

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
The nurturing rescuer role is not always rewarding. There is a co-dependent aspect to it, and the weaker person latches on to the caretaker/healer.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Yep. Uh huh. Noticed it after it happened. Wasn't thinking to myself beforehand, 'Hmm, he's going to probably fall for me when I help him deal with his mother's death...'
And then there are the people who *deliberately* seek out people who need rescuing...
with the conscious intention to get a "relationship" with that person as a result.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
Some of it can be because of the intense feelings which happen during a traumatic time. But if someone finds themselves consistently being rescued or a rescuer, then that's something to work on. I have a couple of friends who have had "White Knight Syndrome".

Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Exscapegoat, I agree. Feelings can become so intense from mourning that maybe they just can't help bonding with the confidant.
It's difficult too when you truly HURT for that person, wanting to ease their pain, that you find drawing the line or setting boundaries hard. But like Aleister Crowley suggested, its the rescuer's responsibility to allow him/her to learn self soothing. Can understand that

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the helpful responses so far everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology