Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,136,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have an ambivalent relationship with anger. My father had a lot of vague floating annoyance and anger in him and as a child I avoided him and filed him under "dangerous to be around". When I grew up and he got old, though, particularly after he retired, a softer side of him leaked out and I was able to have compassion for him. The truth is he was very emotionally sensitive and grew up in a world that didn't give him permission to be himself. In his final years he took to writing letters and sending cards regularly to everyone he knew, and people came to look forward to those communications, and loved him for it. It allowed them to know him in ways he would never have been comfortable expressing face to face.

This has allowed me to have compassion on myself. Predictably, I tend to be annoyed and frustrated with the obstacles life constantly throws at me. I need more personal space than the world is generally willing to give me without also denying me meaningful companionship. People are complex and inscrutable and unstable and unreliable to me.

At least I am self-aware about it and can work on it, but I don't like anger or being around anger and especially don't like having it directed at me, as it seems to be deliberate disregard for the fact that I'm doing my darnedest to live well and be good to and for people. The amount of rage in the world is distressing and sad to me. The amount of it in ME is distressing and sad.

Empathic personalities like myself have to train ourselves not to take all that upon ourselves and not to put our own unhappiness on the world around us. It helps me to recognize that just as I don't want to hear everyone else's whining, they don't want to hear mine. I try to be the change I want to see in the world. It kinda-sorta works.
This is an incredibly insightful post! There is much to be explored here.

I am in a similar situation and I think we made different choices. While I do please my companions a lot, I do require a lot of space from them. Before I decided this, I was willing to experience the fallout of creating my space, that is, the risk of having less meaningful relationships. That did come true for some people but for others, we developed a more meaningful relationship as a result. I came to the conclusion about why this happened. In order to have meaningful relationships, people on both sides have to be willing to compromise and communicate their expectations better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,946,454 times
Not me. I don't have that gift unfortunetely. My parents were both very angry people so I either inherited the genes, learned it from my environment or both.

I don't like anger, not even in its more passive manifestations(sarcasm, silence) Whenever I feel it I hate the way it affects my body. Sometimes I am no longer angry and I can still feel that horrible adrenaline rush in my body. All I think is why? Why did I fall again? Usually it's that irrational desire of making the world a "fair" place that takes me to those dark places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology