Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 PM

153 posts, read 543,084 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the limits on my life.
I'm standing on a street corner in the city, four inches from the pavement. Cars fly past me at forty miles per hour. At this moment in time, I am four inches away from being struck by a car, and dying upon impact. Yet at the same time, there are hundreds of thousands of people flying in the sky inside of aircrafts, going to places I have never been to, going to places I will never go. And what's stopping me? A few hundred bucks... as I stand on the corner relatively unaware of just how close I am standing from my own death, and just how far away I am from actually living. Those people up in the sky are living their lives to the fullest and experiencing the most that they can. They are coming to know the feeling of being in a new country, feeling its warm air, and just feeling so different...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
I'm standing on a street corner in the city, four inches from the pavement. Cars fly past me at forty miles per hour. At this moment in time, I am four inches away from being struck by a car, and dying upon impact. Yet at the same time, there are hundreds of thousands of people flying in the sky inside of aircrafts, going to places I have never been to, going to places I will never go. And what's stopping me? A few hundred bucks... as I stand on the corner relatively unaware of just how close I am standing from my own death, and just how far away I am from actually living. Those people up in the sky are living their lives to the fullest and experiencing the most that they can. They are coming to know the feeling of being in a new country, feeling its warm air, and just feeling so different...

What gives you the idea people in those planes are experiencing the most they can?? I would say a majority of them wouldn't be there unless they had to.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Note, OP is double-posted here and in philosophy.

Was the post supposed to be poetic or deep or something? Sorry, but it's just inane.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
What gives you the idea people in those planes are experiencing the most they can?? I would say a majority of them wouldn't be there unless they had to.
That's me!

I HATE to fly lately. With all the security, overbooking, and the "HUB system", it can be a royal pain.

It is more relaxing and fun for me to take "day trip" in the car. Or take public ground transportation like a bus or train. That can be pretty cheap if not too far away. Like under $25.

And a MAJOR expense when traveling is food and eating at restaurants. Take your lunch!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Seriously. Lots of them are going to meetings and conferences where they have to sit in hotel ballrooms and listen to people drone about work things, then they get back in a plane to go home without ever seeing anything of their destination. Not everyone on the plane is having an adventure.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 9,957 times
Don't let the lack of a few hundred bucks make you feel like you are not living your life to the fullest. Don't you think the creative "starving artist" types are living their lives to the fullest? I bet most of them are making sure they have varied and enjoyable experiences. Make it a challenge to enjoy interesting experiences with little to no money (any free events/activities you can find, meeting new people). You are romanticizing the airplane passenger's lives.
You should document your quest to find new experiences with no money. Would be interesting to read - and you could provide advice to others.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 AM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
Imagine this entire world being about you. Then deny its you, then humiliate the self in your. Then abandon yourself followed by telling the world that you are the the best and a golden god! When people ask if you really believe it, of course not. When the world is without purpose, there is not point or purpose to life.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
Imagine this entire world being about you. Then deny its you, then humiliate the self in your. Then abandon yourself followed by telling the world that you are the the best and a golden god! When people ask if you really believe it, of course not. When the world is without purpose, there is not point or purpose to life.
Um, what?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
World travel is expensive. If you're flying coach you feel as if you're cattle being herded on an overstuffed greyhound bus to some foreign land where nobody really speaks your language.

Nevermind a missed connection, baggage fees, lost luggage, getting felt up by the TSA, going barefoot thru the radioactive scanning machine and then boarding a plane where your knees are choked up to your chest for 12 hours on a flight while you brave the stinky passenger to your left or right who's decided to take their shoes off, as you slowly suffocate from the stench while flying to the other side of the planet. You arrive disheveled, hungry, tired and disoriented.

The only limitations you have on your life are the ones you place there yourself.

If you feel like an armchair observer, then it's time to broaden your horizons, start with small steps at home before you acquire a passport and plan a trip overseas.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Seriously. Lots of them are going to meetings and conferences where they have to sit in hotel ballrooms and listen to people drone about work things, then they get back in a plane to go home without ever seeing anything of their destination. Not everyone on the plane is having an adventure.
Two of the top executives(both males) at work are on what could otherwise be considered the trip of a lifetime(maybe if they were alone or with their respective wives not a co-worker), chances are very small either of them will be enjoying the trip, it is a very important trip with a value to the company in the tens of millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology