Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

It seems that a lot of young people today - especially women - have an awkward, shy, unsureness about themselves, that SEEMS to stem from a lack of confidence. Like I know it's a bad example, but if you look at many blogs on youtube, their manner shows they are not confident in what they say, how they present themselves.etc. Do you think that this generation is actually really unsure of themselves, or does it come with being young?

I mean we're often accused of being arrogant know-it-all's who are too cocky, but many of the people I interact with in real life and see online just seem shy, not very assertive and well, as if they're trying hard to be modest.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Extrapolating what you see in Australia to other countries/cultures, especially the US, is difficult.

From my perspective as a high school teacher most of the students I have who have an air of self-confidence really have nothing to be self-confident about. They ooze self-esteem but can't follow through or complete a task satisfactorily. That includes high stakes tests such as AP and SAT. In Texas vernacular they're "all hat and no cattle".

On the other hand the very much smaller number of students who are competent are the ones that tend be the least self-confident. Having met most of their parents it seems a common theme is that nothing the kid does is good enough. Kid gets a 4.0 why isn't it a 4.1. Kid gets an award from _______________ why didn't he get the one from ___________? From personal experience that is a sure self-confidence killer.

After being kicked out of the house at 18 my mother never really knew what I was doing or what plaudits I'd received in any of my endeavors. The criticism, since Mrs. NBP would occasionally let things slip, didn't stop until I was well into my 40's.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems that a lot of young people today - especially women - have an awkward, shy, unsureness about themselves, that SEEMS to stem from a lack of confidence. Like I know it's a bad example, but if you look at many blogs on youtube, their manner shows they are not confident in what they say, how they present themselves.etc. Do you think that this generation is actually really unsure of themselves, or does it come with being young?

I mean we're often accused of being arrogant know-it-all's who are too cocky, but many of the people I interact with in real life and see online just seem shy, not very assertive and well, as if they're trying hard to be modest.

What do you think?
I think you're on to something. Rallying around iconoclasm strengthens an animal with an insatiable appetite, and that animal turns on whichever ralliers speak or act outside of the herd.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
I worked as an editor for a community college literary magazine. I think it over-intimidated everyone. There were intelligent and skilled editors who wouldn't do simple tasks like putting up advertisement flyers, or visiting classrooms to tell about the magazine, or sending acceptance or rejection letters (not suggestions for improvement, just "We won't accept this," or "We will accept this"). They did, however, do a fine job of designing the magazine, working with authors to better their submissions, editing the submissions, and discussing their merits.

Also, when it had been a class, there'd been relatively easy requirements for applying to be an editor: send an e-mail listing qualifications and pay a couple hundred dollars. Nearly everyone was accepted. This year, it is no longer a class, which means no payment is necessary. We had six interested persons, not counting myself and our editor n' chief. Our editor n' chief sent out a request that applicants send a one page essay about a work they consider to be great. Easy, right? or at least worth an attempt from people who would be doing work which requires that type of thinking throughout the semester? Nobody responded. The editor n' chief and I are the only staff at this time.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-03-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 03:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
I think young people in the US, in my experience thus far working as an RN in a college town in New England, are far more cocky and over confident than young people in both New Zealand and Australia.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM

417 posts, read 825,012 times
I think using the internet as a measure of shyness is inherently flawed. generally speaking, while this generation is probably different from the last in various ways, I believe it's more the over-exposure and access we all have to what was once private material that really accentuates individual shyness.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think young people in the US, in my experience thus far working as an RN in a college town in New England, are far more cocky and over confident than young people in both New Zealand and Australia.
Yes that's stereotypically an American trait.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
i don't know why some of these women need to sit around and tell themselves and/or others how good looking they are, how 'awesome' they are, or how special they are, how smart they are, good at certain things, etc. who cares?? there is this big push in current society to carry on about 'self confidence' and it's B.S. I never ever feel the need to go around expressing any of those things to myself or anyone else. it's so bizarre.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM

372 posts, read 466,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I don't know about that. Maybe not so much New Zealanders, but Australians are a lot like Americans in this regard. Australia and New Zealand are my favorite parts of the world, the two best countries. They are the friendliest people you will meet, but cocky and and overly confident can describe a number of younger generations in suburban Auckland to Perth and anywhere in between. Americans take the gold for this, but Australia is not very far behind.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
I don't know about that. Maybe not so much New Zealanders, but Australians are a lot like Americans in this regard. Australia and New Zealand are my favorite parts of the world, the two best countries. They are the friendliest people you will meet, but cocky and and overly confident can describe a number of younger generations in suburban Auckland to Perth and anywhere in between. Americans take the gold for this, but Australia is not very far behind.
Have you been to Oz? Don't judge Australians on the few you meet overseas. They tend to be more extroverted/adventurous on account of them being there. Many Aussies put on a front of being really cocky/confident but inside they're really insecure which can lead to being defensive. In fact, I'd say Kiwis, as great as they can be, can be defensive and have the proverbial 'chip on the shoulder' especially when it comes to being compared to Aussies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology