Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times

Advertisements

When coworkers talk to me while I'm at my desk, sometimes they don't stop talking to me when my phone starts ringing. There are just a few people who do this. After a few rings I have to interrupt their talking to tell them that I have to answer my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,961,914 times
Default read this...

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-In.../dp/0307352145

... it may help to understand the compulsion.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I probably am someone that is uncomfortable by silence. Though, I love a good exchange with someone that I have a lot in common with that can keep up with ever changing topics in one conversation. I do not, however, enjoy listening to someone that is dull and uninteresting yet because it would be not be polite to ignore this person, I suffer through it so I end up being a friend to a lot of people that way. Everyone likes to share and think that their company is appreciated. Everyone has value. Everyone has a story to tell.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
I need quiet now and then. There are a few people in my life who litterally cannot stop talking. Yes, it gets old after a while. That's why I have to limit my time with them.

I don't think I am a person who talks a lot. I do have my moments when I am talkative. But, I am also quite content to just listen or observe sometimes.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I read an interesting Eastern Philosophy take on non-stop talkers, denoting that these people oftentimes have a large supply of unexpressed anger. Using the jaw and mouth is like an animal finding prey.

I view it as noise pollution. And air pollution, as we release toxins into the air when we exhale.

The unexpressed anger quotion is worthy of meditation, and perhaps not. I only call my cousin now once a year as she doesn't put periods or commas into her sentences, she just goes on and on and on. If she calls unexpectedly, I get out a crossword puzzle and do a crossword puzzle while she rambles on and on, and I have to stop, occasionally, and say Yes, when she asks: Are you there? Are you listening to me?

To me, I'm merely a sounding board!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some people are uncomfortable with silence, and are emotionally driven to fill what they perceive to be a void. What surprises me is people whose need to incessantly yammer overrides safety concerns. I live in a tourist town. When I'm nearing the downtown area, I have to be extra attentive to my driving, as there are a lot of one-way streets, lost tourists making unexpected moves, road construction hazards, etc. When I tell my passenger that "I can't talk now, I have to focus on driving", they either ignore that, or they say, "Get used to it", and continue yammering. I actually got stopped by a cop on one of these occasions, as I'd missed a stop sign due to the distraction of a chattering friend. Fortunately, she knew the cop and got me out of a ticket! But still--it seems extreme to not be able to control your need to chatter. Is there a psychologist in the house? I can't help wondering what is at the root of that compulsion.
I have a friend who is a bit of a blabbermouth, can't stop yapping and has to fill every moment we're together with talk: mostly one-sided, him explaining things, talking about his pet interests.

One time we were driving through the forest - we were late to something - and he kept talking. I was driving a bit too fast, and was distracted...the next moment a family of kangaroos run across the road, but by the time I see them it's too late. Luckily, I think they just 'bounced off' the windshield and weren't too hurt, but never underestimate how dangerous talking while driving can be.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
What I don't like is when someone is talking so much that I can't get a word in edgewise, then as soon as they're finished talking they just walk away without waiting for my response, or if we're on the phone they're ready to say goodbye and hang up. It's frustrating when I've been waiting for them to pause, then I start to speak on the topic, and they interrupt me and continue with their monologue.

Sometimes people like this actually ask "Why are you so quiet?"

Sometimes in group conversations I don't bother talking because everyone who is talking isn't really listening. And I don't like to interrupt people or to be interrupted.

I remember going out to dinner with 3 others and one person was just talking and talking, interrupting my friend every time she started a sentence. So I decided not to bother trying to say anything. When she asked me why I wasn't talking I wanted to tell her that she interrupted my friend every time my friend started to say something.

Sometimes it's tough when I'm at work and a coworker starts talking and talking and talking to me, and I have to get my work done. I don't want to come across as rude, antisocial or uninterested.
What is great (sarcasm) is when you meet a stranger somewhere, maybe when your'e walking in the city, and they keep going on and on, talking in circles, about nothing much in particular, and they won't let you get a word in edgewise. It's just like they need someone to listen to them.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What is great (sarcasm) is when you meet a stranger somewhere, maybe when your'e walking in the city, and they keep going on and on, talking in circles, about nothing much in particular, and they won't let you get a word in edgewise. It's just like they need someone to listen to them.

OMG! A few days ago I went to the bank to make a deposit, and this guy was sort of in the way at the desk where they have the deposit tickets and pens and stuff. So he said excuse me and "Sorry, I'm a counter hog." and we laughed. Okay, so that interaction should be done, right?

Nope, he continued to talk about everything--the pens and how bad they are, asked me how I was liking the weather, told me he was going to Wal-Mart. Why? I'm a pretty outgoing person and I don't mind small talk, but when there's a lapse in conversation with a stranger there's really no need to fill it. Just let the conversation lapse, man.

It's not like we were stuck in a line together for hours and needed to gab to fill the time. I was at the counter for exactly the amount of time it took me to fill out my deposit ticket.

My boyfriend says I just attract these type of people. He said whenever we go out somewhere it's like being with the mayor.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
I have an in-law who is like this, and I won't answer the phone when he calls. I cannot be in the same room with him for more than a few minutes. Not only does he talk loudly and constantly, he then parlays what he thinks he heard to everyone he knows, and usually gets it wrong. I'm sure he thinks he's harmless, but I see it differently. Most of what he says is gossip or just inane dribble. He's a main reason I want to live far, far away.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh yes. Walking in the city. That reminds me of when I visited Chicago in '06 and I was walking down the Magnificent Mile. Another visitor asked me where something was. I pointed him the right direction. He kept talking. About Wisconsin and I don't remember what else. I thought it was amusing....for a while. We were standing there and I was too polite to walk away after he didn't get my verbal and nonverbal (kept looking at my watch) cues. He literally talked through the sunset. When he first started talking to me it was about 7 or 7:30pm and the sun was up, and when he stopped talking the sun had set.

Once I was in the bulk section of a health food store and this guy started talking to me all about sea salt, why he uses it, when he started using it, who recommended it to him, what web site I should visit to read about it....... He. Just. Wouldn't. Stop. I was distracted, just like the posters above who mentioned that they were distracting while driving and listening to incessant talking. I ended up filling my bag with a whole lot of the wrong kind of oats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology