Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,142,025 times

Advertisements

I have a BA in psych and am finishing up my PhD in I/O psych. I work as a selection consultant in a global organization. Yes, I think it was worth it.

If you are interested in a mixture of psychology and business (eg work motivation, organizational commitment, leadership, etc.) I would strongly recommend looking into I/O. A masters degree is sufficient and you can look at the SIOP.org website for further information regarding salaries, etc.

It's funny that you should mention not wanting to go to USF because they have one of the top I/O PhD programs in the nation and have top notch faculty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,987,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I have a BA in psych and am finishing up my PhD in I/O psych. I work as a selection consultant in a global organization. Yes, I think it was worth it.

If you are interested in a mixture of psychology and business (eg work motivation, organizational commitment, leadership, etc.) I would strongly recommend looking into I/O. A masters degree is sufficient and you can look at the SIOP.org website for further information regarding salaries, etc.

It's funny that you should mention not wanting to go to USF because they have one of the top I/O PhD programs in the nation and have top notch faculty.
I blame everyone when I was in high school. It was beat into our heads that USF was the devil. And, to be fair, to be able to get in state tuition to schools like UF and FSU, there's no reason to go to USF.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,142,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I blame everyone when I was in high school. It was beat into our heads that USF was the devil. And, to be fair, to be able to get in state tuition to schools like UF and FSU, there's no reason to go to USF.
not saying USF for undergrad. But UF and FSU do not have I/O programs so if you decide to go the I/O path USF is an amazing choice. UCF is also an excellent program for I/O and they have a masters program as well as a PhD.

good luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,226,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Some of us make a very nice living. You just can't go on the idea that the BA is the highest you'll go.
2nd that. i have a BS in psych. it was tough to get a good paying job in the mental hlth field with just a bach degree. seems like furthering your education after undergrad is the way to go in that field. me, i ended up in law enforcement/gov't cheese. i never finished grad school. FYI i also live in PA and work in jersey. capitol city.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,987,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
not saying USF for undergrad. But UF and FSU do not have I/O programs so if you decide to go the I/O path USF is an amazing choice. UCF is also an excellent program for I/O and they have a masters program as well as a PhD.

good luck.
I do intend to go to UCF for my BA, but I'd like to go to a MUCH more prestigious school for a Masters.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,250,963 times
The speech path is a good thing. I always see openings for these sorts of positions.

But yeah, all of the Psychologists I know have at least their MA.

And all are making decent money.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM

255 posts, read 693,432 times
If you are thinking of Psy as a major, you should prepare yourself for an eventual Ph. D. or Psy. D. program. You will end up with many more employment choices upon completion. Competition to get into a doctoral program is fierce so do very well as an undergrad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology