Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
On number 4 I would disagree because women are viewed as the sensitive ones, therefore when they express emotion it is normal, but when men express emotion they are ridiculed by guy friends and seen as weak by women unless that woman has known them for a while.
Women are considered crazy, hysterical, or weak for showing strong emotions, but are expected to because the stereotype is that many women are crazy, hysterical, & weak. Men are called women/girly/sissy if they show emotion because of the way women are viewed.

The same reason it is more acceptable for a woman to wear men's clothes than it is for a man to wear women's clothes... because it is offensive to some people that a man would value being anything like a woman, but "understandable" that a woman would want to be more like a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I take issue with the assertion that an unattractive woman can always get a date but a man can't. The truth is that an unattractive man with money can get all the dates he wants with extremely attractive women. (I live in L.A.; this is the nature of the dating scene here. )

Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 AM

132 posts, read 176,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I take issue with the assertion that an unattractive woman can always get a date but a man can't. The truth is that an unattractive man with money can get all the dates he wants with extremely attractive women. (I live in L.A.; this is the nature of the dating scene here. )
Well since looks matter so much in society, many attractive men are the wealthy ones. Generally, looks = success.

A woman can generally look good and make herself appealing to the opposite sex. Testosterone amplifies ugliness in men.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,422 times
I think female on male domestic violence is underreported. Many men who experience it are ashamed to report it. Also, I think I've seen news articles on studies that women are as likely to initiate domestic violence as men, but due to the size difference, they are more likely to be injured when things get violent than men.

ABC News had done segments in the past where they had actors pretending to initiate male on female violence. People witnessing it would intervene to stop it. They tried the same thing with female on male violence:
Turning the Tables - ABC News

For awhile, as part of self-help in dealing with a likely personality disordered mother, I participated at a board which was geared towards men who had partners with personlity disorders. Some of them were dealing with women who were violent to them and their children. One man had been stabbed by his wife. They still had trouble with getting custody and for those who didn't have the money or family/friend support for a place to go, there had a very difficult time trying to find shelters or any other assistance. BTW, I think shelters, etc. are underfunded and not as available as they should be for women. But it's even worse for men who are trying to get away from an abusive partner. One man on the board was being abused by his wife and she called the police on him, claiming he had a weapon, which he didn't. He didn't realize this until he walked outside his home and was met with officers who thought he was armed. Fortunately, he remained calm. It was a very volatile situation which could have resulted in his injury or death.

Last edited by exscapegoat; 09-24-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,594 times
Yes, I agree that female on male domestic violence is under-reported. People assume men can protect themselves better than women & they fail to take into consideration psychological factors. Female on male sexual abuse (and female on female SA) is also under-reported & both of these things are serious problems for sure.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
A man who does this is viewed the same way. You have to be pretty stupid to take back someone who cheated on you, male or female.

That's what I thought but I saw a show where a live poll was taken throughout the show and like 67% of people agreed with what I wrote (I personally agree with you )

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Some oddities, IMO:

A woman is free to call her woman friends, girlfriends, with no raised eyebrows whatsoever. A man has to use the word buddy, never-ever boyfriend!

I've seen it! At a dance! Two women freely get up and dance together, no raised eyebrows once again!
Two men get up to dance, and? Raised eyebrows, suspicious minds!

What does that tell you?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some oddities, IMO:

A woman is free to call her woman friends, girlfriends, with no raised eyebrows whatsoever. A man has to use the word buddy, never-ever boyfriend!

I've seen it! At a dance! Two women freely get up and dance together, no raised eyebrows once again!
Two men get up to dance, and? Raised eyebrows, suspicious minds!

What does that tell you?
You're right....they might raise eyebrows...but it's not generally a man's nature to get up and want to dance with another man. I don't personally know one single man who likes to dance at all...other than to get close to a woman. I'm not sure this is the best example.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
I'm not sure if this is the best forum for it, but I've put together a list of double standards in relation to what men and women can get away with in society. Feel free to debate these or to add more:

• A divorced or single man is perceived by many as a loser, a divorced or single woman is seen as independent.

• A woman can wear man's clothes, but a man cannot wear anything even remotely revealing or feminine without being labeled gay. Men are forced to wear dowdy, heavy clothing, while women's clothing has become increasingly skimpy over the years.

• A man on his own is feared and even seen as creepy or a pedophile, but this isn't the case for a woman alone.

• Men are taught not to talk about their feelings and have to bottle them up, while women are free to do the opposite.

• An adult male still living with his parents is seen as a loser, while a woman living with her parents is perceived as having strong family ties.

• A woman can join the army or work in construction, yet a man who chooses to be a hairdresser or nurse is seen as gay. A man still will get stigmatised for staying home with the kids.

• Many men suffer domestic violence, but are still laughed at or treated with disbelief if they do go to the police or try to seek help.

• The courts still tend to overwhelmingly favour the mother in custody cases, even if the father did no wrong.

• An unattractive woman can usually get dates, an unattractive man often can not. Women control the dating world.

I do not hate women by any means and I believe in equality for all human beings. However, I do think that it's not such a great time to be a man. I do not like how men are perceived by many women (as potential rapists or pedophiles), largely thanks to sensationalist media that does a wonderful job of drilling fear into people. I want us all to be equal, only it seems that many extreme feminist types want control.

Thoughts?
A couple of things I want to add here:

first in general, women can partake in a wider range of behaviors and that is deemed acceptable. Men on the other hand are expected to fit in a rigid mold and those who don't will instantly have their sexuality questioned for the most part.

Most importantly, the irony of this thread, (presuming that you are a man) is that it is usually men that heavily defend and enforce these double standards even the ones that are to our disadvantage. (I'm a man too)

Last edited by Ro2113; 09-26-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,520 times
I think when it comes to men and women the biological differences that a brought up get out of hand. Many of the traits that get brought up can easily be applied to both genders so saying they are masculine and feminine is just ridiculous. Most behavior stuff is mostly societal and cultural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology