Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times

Advertisements

I've known people who went to jail and prison, and I hear the stories of thier experiences. In both cases being locked up is not somewhere you want to be, but it seems that women usually get along with each other for the most part as much as possible in that situation of being in jail/prison as men are constantly having to prove themselves and being defensive, so they don't get attacked. I am not saying this is in every individual case, but in general women seem to support each other more as men are defensive and more distant towards other inmates. Why is this? and did you or people you know that have been in prison or jail experience the total opposite experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I had a friend (woman) who did a short stint in a detention center. She would not agree, was terrified and harassed every minute she was there. She never went back!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I had a friend (woman) who did a short stint in a detention center. She would not agree, was terrified and harassed every minute she was there. She never went back!
I know women aren't excluded from violence or harrasment in jail, it sucks. I had an aunt who was in and out of jail and she dealt with fights a lot, and I had a girl who met her current partner (She turned lesbian in there...lol...kind of weird when I heard about that after she got out) in there as well and she told me her experience in jail went ok for what it was, she said most people in thier area got along.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Maybe it's just an instinctual thing....you put a bunch of males together (almost any animal, humans included) and you get lots of fighting.....you put a bunch of females together, they don't fight as much.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I know women aren't excluded from violence or harrasment in jail, it sucks. I had an aunt who was in and out of jail and she dealt with fights a lot, and I had a girl who met her current partner (She turned lesbian in there...lol...kind of weird when I heard about that after she got out) in there as well and she told me her experience in jail went ok for what it was, she said most people in thier area got along.
I've often wondered what the prison experience for the Leona Helmsleys and the Martha Stewarts is like. If it's "prison-lite?"

Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I don't know where Leona went but Martha Stuart was somewhere where she could take walks in their lanscaped lawns, not anything close to what you would call a prison.

Men are just full of testosterone and when you put a bunch of hormone drive men in an inclosed place that they know they can't leave, you can bet there will be fights.

If you think about it women are generally very kind to each other, are supportive of other women, and tend to be more passive.

Like someone else mention, if you threw 10 hens into an enclosed pen they would walk around, eat, roost. If you threw 10 roosters together they would kill each other off.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Men are just full of testosterone and when you put a bunch of hormone drive men in an inclosed place that they know they can't leave, you can bet there will be fights.

If you think about it women are generally very kind to each other, are supportive of other women, and tend to be more passive.
I have HEARD that the standard womens' prison is a frightening place. Even the movies support this stereotype, and they didn't necessarily create it.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I think that this is just the picture painted by the "behind bars" TV shows & documentaries. They seem to have the theme of men competing for power while the women care for each other.

I don't buy it; like most stuff on TV. It's just the producer or director's agenda.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
TV has nothing to do with reality.

Visited a womens prison with an atty I worked for. It was just green walls and cold. Like a hospital basement. If overcrowded they put 6 women in a room. It is all supervised by workers that make 9.00 an hour, usually, depending what state you are in.

Its really not dramatic at all, just a sad, horrible place. Alot of mentally ill people are in there erroneously, in some cases.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM

236 posts, read 427,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I've known people who went to jail and prison, and I hear the stories of thier experiences. In both cases being locked up is not somewhere you want to be, but it seems that women usually get along with each other for the most part as much as possible in that situation of being in jail/prison as men are constantly having to prove themselves and being defensive, so they don't get attacked. I am not saying this is in every individual case, but in general women seem to support each other more as men are defensive and more distant towards other inmates. Why is this? and did you or people you know that have been in prison or jail experience the total opposite experience?
I served 6 yrs in prison in Okla,Prison has some very specific rules as long as you follow them you usually only have to fight when you first get there to prove your not a coward.
once you stand up for yourself it gets mundane, prison is a test of patience it's learning how to deal with a bad situation day in day out for years.

as far as just being violent the women's facility down the road had a lot more lock downs due to violence
than we did both places were high min/low medium security.
when I was transferred to a high security place the violence was actually less frequent but when it broke out there was usually a death involved or a stabbing.
As long as you show respect to others, you can do your time pretty much violence free,stay out of gangs
leave drugs alone and DO YOUR TIME its not to difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology