Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:01 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

We're male and female and a majority of us are attracted to the opposite sex for a reason. It never ceases to amaze me people who deny knowing what femininity and masculinity is or what it's about. If your straight, surely you would know. You can't attract someone of the opposite sex acting and dressing just like them.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
We're male and female and a majority of us are attracted to the opposite sex for a reason. It never ceases to amaze me people who deny knowing what femininity and masculinity is or what it's about. If your straight, surely you would know. You can't attract someone of the opposite sex acting and dressing just like them.
Really? You know every single person in the world & what they are attracted to? Obviously not, because attracting someone of the opposite sex while dressing/acting similar is not all that uncommon.

What is viewed as feminine & what is viewed as masculine is not universal & has evolved over history even within our own culture. This pretty much proves it is socially constructed.

The problem is most people were never educated about the difference between sex & gender, so they tend to confuse the two. What makes a woman womanly is not necessarily her genitals. There are plenty of real women who do not have vaginas & plenty who were born intersex. Same with men, there are plenty who do not have the Y chromosome & you would never tell the difference. They are just as much a real man as anyone else who identifies as one.

Then there are some of us who feel gender is naturally fluid & non-binary, which has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If your heterosexual you attracted to the opposite sex that all there is to it.
Attracting by acting and dressing are social constructs that change up all through history.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
Really? You know every single person in the world & what they are attracted to? Obviously not, because attracting someone of the opposite sex while dressing/acting similar is not all that uncommon.

What is viewed as feminine & what is viewed as masculine is not universal & has evolved over history even within our own culture. This pretty much proves it is socially constructed.

The problem is most people were never educated about the difference between sex & gender, so they tend to confuse the two. What makes a woman womanly is not necessarily her genitals. There are plenty of real women who do not have vaginas & plenty who were born intersex. Same with men, there are plenty who do not have the Y chromosome & you would never tell the difference. They are just as much a real man as anyone else who identifies as one.

Then there are some of us who feel gender is naturally fluid & non-binary, which has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
I remember reading this in psychology. Young children often distinguish between males and females on the basis of these societal differences. Like my 3 year old niece will see a man with long hair and think he's a woman. She says things like 'girls have long hair' which we all absorb because of our environment. If we lived in a world where the men wore their hair long it'd be the opposite. So you see, hair is programmed into her concept of what is 'female' earlier than examining features which make a 'feminine' face, which we only reliably are able to do later in life.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Male and female brains are different:

9 Differences Between the Male and Female Brain | Brain Fitness for Life

Discovery Health "Male and Female Brain Structure"

Here's a free fun online test to see if your brain is more male or female.

BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID

Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
Gender roles need to be thrown out of the window. In the long run, we'd al be happier as a result.
i completley disagree , the extreme liberal attempt to blur the lines between men and woman will result in disaster

ive heard this talk of gender being nothing but a social construct before , bullsh1t

head to a cattle ranch - farm , observe the differences between the females ( docile , gentle ) and the males ( agressive ) and tell me that this is a social construct

we are animals at the end of the day

Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Male and female brains are different:

9 Differences Between the Male and Female Brain | Brain Fitness for Life

Discovery Health "Male and Female Brain Structure"

Here's a free fun online test to see if your brain is more male or female.

BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID
Oh yeah I'm pretty familiar with those.

I took that test before. I got 50% male and 50% female. So I guess I'm mentally a hemaphrodite . If I'm born in the 'wrong body' my body would have to be er, half male and half female. Er in that case I think I'm happy just being male lol. jk

Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i completley disagree , the extreme liberal attempt to blur the lines between men and woman will result in disaster

ive heard this talk of gender being nothing but a social construct before , bullsh1t

head to a cattle ranch - farm , observe the differences between the females ( docile , gentle ) and the males ( agressive ) and tell me that this is a social construct

we are animals at the end of the day
I'd say you're right in that that might be a female tendency, but I think it can be culturally moulded for sure. In some societies, it is the women who loudly tell the bawdy jokes and swear a lot.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Have lived with masculine females....have lived with more delicate lady like woman...I prefer a lady. I look at the hands...if they are long and feminine...it's good- if they are stubby and look like they should be grasping the wheel of a dump truck...nawh..not good. If they are fairly tall and slender- and when you embrace- and LIKE the fit--- it's good- When you embrace a woman and it feels like hugging a man- not so good...People can whine all they want about degree of gender- the more female the better.

As I mentioned - look at the hands they tell all- class- how they were bred...and how female they are...beautiful hands lead to a beautiful everything. I even lived with a hard core lesbian for a couple of years- she was nice..and we had a full relationship..but her maleness in the end was undesirable. Hot woman are sleek- intelligent- and when they have a baby their good genetics allow their bodies to recover quickly to a pristine state...where as less female woman- just get fat and ugly...

Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Have lived with masculine females....have lived with more delicate lady like woman...I prefer a lady. I look at the hands...if they are long and feminine...it's good- if they are stubby and look like they should be grasping the wheel of a dump truck...nawh..not good. If they are fairly tall and slender- and when you embrace- and LIKE the fit--- it's good- When you embrace a woman and it feels like hugging a man- not so good...People can whine all they want about degree of gender- the more female the better.

As I mentioned - look at the hands they tell all- class- how they were bred...and how female they are...beautiful hands lead to a beautiful everything. I even lived with a hard core lesbian for a couple of years- she was nice..and we had a full relationship..but her maleness in the end was undesirable. Hot woman are sleek- intelligent- and when they have a baby their good genetics allow their bodies to recover quickly to a pristine state...where as less female woman- just get fat and ugly...
Oh boy are you gonna get it LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology