Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,073,546 times

Advertisements

You may need to talk to a school counselor or someone at another public facility. If you recognize that you feel much more frustration than you would normally you may need to talk to someone and get some advice on issues and perhaps some new coping skills. Anger management is helpful, there should be something on campus free to you as a student.
Is there a time frame that you and your roommate could compromise on, You study in quiet from 7-10...He has company from 5-7. Have you sat down w/ him, or even w/ your Dorm advisor to try to work this out? Are there other rooms in your dorm that are strictly for study that are consistently quiet??
I personally wouldn't be able to handle dorm life, thankfully I didn't have too. I studied a lot in the bathroom w/ the exhaust fan on because I had school aged children playing etc.
You may need something w/out roommates, you're not getting your down time, or your quiet study time.
Let your Mom know that you really need some help with this, she may not be aware how truly frustrated you've become.
One of the hardest lessons in life is learning that you can't control others, just how you react to them. Look for healthy options, support groups, other students dealing w/ the same things and find a support network. It might even be this forum.
It is smart of you to at least vent on this forum and seek some insights from others. First thing in helping yourself overcome any issue is recognizing that there is an issue. I hope some of the posts help, hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 PM

802 posts, read 1,673,564 times
Simple- Don't get bothered by this kind of stuff.

When you place things in a larger context and realize how lucky you are to wake up in the morning, receive a college education, and have three meals each and every day, the little things cease from being annoying.

I have to commute to college every day, and therefore study at home. My mom is constantly complaining so it's sometimes hard to focus but I just listen to music and try to tune it out. Maybe that's the reason I find complaining to be so detestable.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,506,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Chill out.

You wanted advice, I gave some.

Instead of learning something, you just turn it into a rant on the injustices of life.

Okayyyyy......

I am amazed someone is stressed from a dorm member stealing body lotion.

Wait til you get in the real world.
Do not presume all people are ethical and decent.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM

924 posts, read 1,636,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I am amazed someone is stressed from a dorm member stealing body lotion.

Wait til you get in the real world.
Do not presume all people are ethical and decent.
The real world? You mean as opposed to imaginary world? Am I living in the Land of Oz?

I consider it a good thing that I'm surprised when thievery occurs, I guess I haven't been fully corrupted to the point of accepting it as ok, and expecting it to happen. My being surprised just goes to show I'd never stoop to stealing myself, and anyone who accepts it as a part of life in 'the real world' I'm betting is willing to partake in it him or herself.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,240,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
1. Uh no ****? Like I intentionally did it? This was an extension of my frustration with humanity and it's self-serving nature. If I found a wallet with money in it, I'd turn it in to the police no questions asked. I'd like to know how the thief would feel about someone stealing his ****?
2. I do. I find it a bit unfair that I have to go out of my way to do what people go to college do.
3. Don't speak for my parents like you know them, they have never expressed any distaste for texting aside from at the table, and they initiate texting with me all the time. If you think texting is rude inherently, then you need a reality check as to the different forms of communication. Regardless, don't project values on to people you don't know.

This post speaks volumes.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM

26,144 posts, read 19,694,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212
Simple- Don't get bothered by this kind of stuff.
Its hard to not let it bother you when EVERYTHING GOOD is turning to crap

Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM

802 posts, read 1,673,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its hard to not let it bother you when EVERYTHING GOOD is turning to crap
If everything good is turning to crap, then it must be a more than a little thing. Someone taking body lotion is what I would call a trivial issue.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM

629 posts, read 1,231,649 times
It seems to me that you're already trying to deal with it. You need to understand that you having all of these frustrations is a mindset that you have developed over time. You said it yourself that other members of the family have similar mindsets. They handle frustrations a certain way and now so do you. I have a similar situation. My mother has huge out bursts for the most menial occurrences to this day. I was very angry before and I vented my frustrations in different ways ie. punching walls, breaking things, walking out of the house. Nothing seemed to work for long. Then I joined the Army. I turned my frustration into strength. Over time I saw the big picture in life and my "daily problems" didn't seem that big anymore. I learned to never stress over things I cannot control. I can be disappointed in humanity and how easily others can cause problems for others when it would have been just as easy not to but getting angry at the world accomplishes nothing and only takes my mind away from more important things such as bettering myself as a person. I'm not saying you should join the Army. That was MY choice and it ended up for the better. You need to find your own way of seeing the "big picture" and understanding that this mindset can be changed.

1. Your lotion was stolen? It's unfortunate but some people are a holes and misfortune caused by others will happen in this world. Buy a new one and drive on. You can't "prepare" anymore for next time and catching the person won't accomplish anything except escalating the situation. Do what you've always been doing and move on.
2. Your roommate is rude and needs a life. You can't make him get one and you can't make him respect you. Put on ear plugs that work well or get a pair of headphones that tune out outside noise and play music while he's being an a hole. Also work on changing roommates for the future.
3. Finally your parents are your parents. They've been who they are since as long as you can remember. You can tell them how you feel and hope they respond. That's about it. They'll probably continue to **** you off for life but you can control how MUCH they **** you off.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,506,910 times
Psych 101.

Life isnt fair.

Sorry OP.

And yes, thievery exists in the white collar world. Think Bank bailouts 2008.

If you get upset over tiny issues, later problems will be hard to manage, like the death of a parent, etc.

Medication can help with irritability.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,774,405 times
I have a hard time dealing with frustration. Sometimes it helps to remind myself of what I'm thankful for or something good that's happened every time something bad happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology