U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 PM

921 posts, read 1,337,590 times

Advertisements

Most of them due to the behavior of others.

For example, so far today:

1. I left my body lotion in the bathroom (I live in a dorm). Come back to look 45 minutes later, gone, somebody nicked it.
2. Try to study earlier today. My roommate is, as usual, making as much noise as possible, playing xbox while talking to his friends (he does this all day, every day) and watching football. I gave up trying and am now screwing around on the internet, accomplishing nothing.
3. I text my parents about going through with a room change, still waiting to hear back. My mom responds to some of my texts and completely ignores others, which I think is incredibly rude.

Things like this seem to happen to me on a daily basis, and they probably aren't much different from what happens with everyone else, but I have trouble rationally controlling my frustration and anger over this. Most of it is probably intensified by my own frustrations with life in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 PM

153 posts, read 122,280 times
Only worry about things that you can personally control. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Most of them due to the behavior of others.

For example, so far today:

1. I left my body lotion in the bathroom (I live in a dorm). Come back to look 45 minutes later, gone, somebody nicked it.
2. Try to study earlier today. My roommate is, as usual, making as much noise as possible, playing xbox while talking to his friends (he does this all day, every day) and watching football. I gave up trying and am now screwing around on the internet, accomplishing nothing.
3. I text my parents about going through with a room change, still waiting to hear back. My mom responds to some of my texts and completely ignores others, which I think is incredibly rude.

Things like this seem to happen to me on a daily basis, and they probably aren't much different from what happens with everyone else, but I have trouble rationally controlling my frustration and anger over this. Most of it is probably intensified by my own frustrations with life in general.
You formulate ways to avoid them happening in the first place.

For example.

1. don't leave your things lying around
2. study in the library
3. don't text your parents, us oldies find it quite rude, call them up and speak to them.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,640,051 times
You make your own decisions and find your own solutions. If you want a room change, see your RA or housing director and take care of the problem. If you can afford your own apartment or can swing a single room, go for it. If you cannot move, then I agree with the above poster~~study in the library and do not leave anything out that you do not want someone else to take.

I solved that problem when I was in college by getting my own apartment. It was not easy since I did it all on my own, but it can be done.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You formulate ways to avoid them happening in the first place.

For example.

1. don't leave your things lying around
2. study in the library
3. don't text your parents, us oldies find it quite rude, call them up and speak to them.
1. Uh no ****? Like I intentionally did it? This was an extension of my frustration with humanity and it's self-serving nature. If I found a wallet with money in it, I'd turn it in to the police no questions asked. I'd like to know how the thief would feel about someone stealing his ****?
2. I do. I find it a bit unfair that I have to go out of my way to do what people go to college do.
3. Don't speak for my parents like you know them, they have never expressed any distaste for texting aside from at the table, and they initiate texting with me all the time. If you think texting is rude inherently, then you need a reality check as to the different forms of communication. Regardless, don't project values on to people you don't know.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
You make your own decisions and find your own solutions. If you want a room change, see your RA or housing director and take care of the problem. If you can afford your own apartment or can swing a single room, go for it. If you cannot move, then I agree with the above poster~~study in the library and do not leave anything out that you do not want someone else to take.

I solved that problem when I was in college by getting my own apartment. It was not easy since I did it all on my own, but it can be done.
I'm definitely looking into the room change. Thank you for giving advice without being condescending about it.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
1. Uh no ****? Like I intentionally did it? This was an extension of my frustration with humanity and it's self-serving nature. If I found a wallet with money in it, I'd turn it in to the police no questions asked. I'd like to know how the thief would feel about someone stealing his ****?
2. I do. I find it a bit unfair that I have to go out of my way to do what people go to college do.
3. Don't speak for my parents like you know them, they have never expressed any distaste for texting aside from at the table, and they initiate texting with me all the time. If you think texting is rude inherently, then you need a reality check as to the different forms of communication. Regardless, don't project values on to people you don't know.

Chill out.

You wanted advice, I gave some.

Instead of learning something, you just turn it into a rant on the injustices of life.

Okayyyyy......

Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,025 times
Has it always been like this, or is there some underlying stress (perhaps with school?) It sounds like you need to find a healthy way to vent. Does your campus have a counseling service - someone you can talk to for ideas in positive ways to handle your frustrations?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Chill out.

You wanted advice, I gave some.

Instead of learning something, you just turn it into a rant on the injustices of life.

Okayyyyy......
Nothing you said was anything more than baseless assumptions and blatant fingerpointing, and I'm in no mood for that kind of thing.

Your 'advice' was either erroneous or mockingly obvious.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Has it always been like this, or is there some underlying stress (perhaps with school?) It sounds like you need to find a healthy way to vent. Does your campus have a counseling service - someone you can talk to for ideas in positive ways to handle your frustrations?
It's gotten worse as I've gotten older, I seem to be following in the footsteps of my older brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or