Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Not to be argumentative, but just because someone loves to listen to violin music performed by a premier violinist and/or by a symphony orchestra, it doesn't automatically follow nor mean that person wants to learn how to play the violin themselves nor do they want to be burdened with a whole year of lessons. Unless a person specifically requests to have a violin and requests lessons, it would seem a controlling gesture to impose owning a violin on a person who just likes violin music.

Now, it's your turn to say that was not the case and not the circumstance. But it sounds that way.
Yup you guessed right. She specifically told me she's always wanted to play and wishes her mother would've put her into it when she was a kid. If someone says they like football, I don't assume they want to be a football player. It's called ENCOURAGEMENT, not I make you do stuff whether you like it or not. Thanks for guessing correctly on what I would reply with though. You are very perseptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Still, always wanting to have played the violin does not necessarily mean someone suddenly wants to take up violin playing and take extensive lessons as an adult, as it requires such concerted extensive effort to learn and play.

Not wise to surprise an adult with a violin and a year of lessons. Sounds like maybe she has not continued with it very much, as a mere year of lessons is not anywhere near sufficient to become a violin player.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
exscapegoat, I get the impression that Kagami46's wife probably told him that he is selfish because he is so insulated and self-obsessed in what he cares about, as he specifically says 'he does not give a crap' about world events and local events, people in the news, things going on in the world. This is a selfish, insulated characteristic.
Sorry she has never called me selfish as she knows my nature as a giving person to others in need. I just don't care about anything outside that doesn't affect me enough to remember. Wow alot of negativity in this forum. I wonder why?

Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Still, always wanting to have played the violin does not necessarily mean someone suddenly wants to take up violin playing and take extensive lessons as an adult, as it requires such concerted extensive effort to learn and play.

Not wise to surprise an adult with a violin and a year of lessons. Sounds like maybe she has not continued with it very much, as a mere year of lessons is not anywhere near sufficient to become a violin player.
Lol man you guys are awesome. Shifting focus every chance you get. One, she is still playing the violin. I've paid for a year so far. She is taking care of the rest herself which is her will. If she wanted to stop she would just stop without having to tell me why. It's her choice. Two, I guess her near asthma attack due to her excitement of getting a violin means she didn't really want one. Especially since I took her to the store and let her pick one she loved BEFORE I even paid for it. Three, she has no will to become a professional violinist. She wants the experience and she will have it because she deserves it. Are you saying she shouldn't try because she will not be able to reach the levels of those who have played since early childhood. Who is selfish now? Sorry the last line was an add on.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:50 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Lol I never said she was selfish. I'm talking about myself having traits similar to selfish behavior without actually being selfish. I care for everyone close to me and I take the time to help others I don't know as long as it's within my power and won't inconvenience anyone.
I was going by the word selfish in the thread. Again, I don't think either of you are selfish, just have different interests/priorities. In some ways that can work well as people complement each other

Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I was going by the word selfish in the thread. Again, I don't think either of you are selfish, just have different interests/priorities. In some ways that can work well as people complement each other
I agree that we complement each other. She is indeed the love of my life. I think you you're right in that we have different priorities. That word didn't come to mind for some reason. Is there a category for this way of thinking? For example those who are more outgoing are considered extroverts and vice versa.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I do not see any merit in "I don't really care much for anything that doesn't affect us" and "I don't give a crap about anything that doesn't affect us"........and "I won't remember most news media, politics don't interest me".

I'm baffled why anyone would see merit in the above behavior. Granted that some people are not interested in politics and government, civic affairs, world events, ideas found in news (and they often are not very interesting people) - but to "not really care much for anything that doesn't affect us" is an extreme, insulated, self-obsessed, egocentric way to approach life and the world.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-06-2012 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I do not see any merit in "I don't really care much for anything that doesn't affect us" and "I don't give a crap about anything that doesn't affect us"........and "I won't remember most news media, politics don't interest me".

I'm baffled why anyone would see merit in the above behavior. Granted that some people are not interested in politics and government, civic affairs, world events, ideas found in news (and they often are not very interesting people) - but to "not really care much for anything that doesn't affect us" is an extreme, insulated, self-obsessed, egocentric way to approach life and the world.
Noted. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:

OP is saying the opposite.

I'd say that most people tend to be like the OP. Mostly focused on their own lives what is important to them. Not necessarily selfish, that's how most people are wired. The thing is, in this globalised things like global economics and environment change do indeed affect all of us.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I don't think it has anything to do with being selfish. Men and women are wired differently. It's just about biology and the way your synapses fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology