Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 PM

14 posts, read 58,436 times

Advertisements

I go out in public because I have to...but I dread it. Sometimes I walk with my head down because if I see a girl who is prettier than me, I'll start to feel so inadequate. My self esteem is so shot. I don't know what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,556 times
Sounds like you have a social phobia.

Get some counselling, what you are feeling is not accurate.

No one actually cares what anyone else looks like.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexianna123 View Post
I go out in public because I have to...but I dread it. Sometimes I walk with my head down because if I see a girl who is prettier than me, I'll start to feel so inadequate. My self esteem is so shot. I don't know what to do
Mine is as well. But here is something I learned as a teen. Every girl you pass, do you think you are weaker then them? Do they intimidate you? Not by looks but other means.

My martial arts teacher taught me a long time ago, to always look up and never show you are weak by looking down at the ground.

You are strong Alexianna, those so called "pretty girls" are weak. You are strong. Release your inner person!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:44 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I didn't know that you had to be pretty to go to the library? If you feel intimidated at the library how do you do in settings like school, the mall, etc? I looked at your profile and you are not overweight. My guess is that you are prettier than you think you are. Is it possible for you to get some counseling? I personally would not worry at all how other people look or what they "might think of you". Take care of yourself, keep working on any goals or personal changes you wish to make with your life, and don't worry about other people and their thoughts.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
move to maine....we dont judge women on how they look,,,,we need some warmth in the winter-time, it helps if she can cook , and if she can field-dress and drag her own deer out of the woods,,,,you can hold your head high!

them skinny greyhound looking woman we see on tv- just arent the same species we see in maine

Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,283 times
Quote:
Sometimes I walk with my head down because if I see a girl who is prettier than me, I'll start to feel so inadequate. My self esteem is so shot. I don't know what to do
Your mistake is that you are judging your self worth by how "pretty" you are.

Not everybody is a beauty queen. There is more to a person than how attractive they are.

There are going to be "prettier" women than you. Find a healthier way to feel better about yourself and not be so shallow.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
So if there is a girl who you think is more pretty than you are, what does that mean?

I can't see as how that would matter any in everyday life? i.e. Reality - Real life (NOT TV).

For example the grocery store... The store I go to has several different checkers. One is a "beauty queen" who is snotty and rude. Another checker is old and fat, but always friendly and has nice things to say. So which checker am I going to go to? Answer: The old lady's line of course! I like her! Other people seem to think the same as I do.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Please do not deny yourself living because you think you're not pretty enough. I doubt you are unattractive and even if you are, it doesn't matter, you are a human being who deserves everything that life has to offer. Please don't think people watch you incessantly while you're out and about; they're too wrapped up in their own life. So hold that head up and go out in public!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM

14 posts, read 58,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
So if there is a girl who you think is more pretty than you are, what does that mean?

I can't see as how that would matter any in everyday life? i.e. Reality - Real life (NOT TV).

For example the grocery store... The store I go to has several different checkers. One is a "beauty queen" who is snotty and rude. Another checker is old and fat, but always friendly and has nice things to say. So which checker am I going to go to? Answer: The old lady's line of course! I like her! Other people seem to think the same as I do.
I feel like a prettier girl has more value to society than I do. She gets preferential treatment and protection from men in the community

Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,257 times
People can try to cheer us up by telling us that we're pretty (or handsome) or smart or thin or "not so old" etc...But it's all going to "bounce off" of us if we don't want to take it "in." (Or change our view of ourselves.)...Insecurities are going to "pop-up" at times. It's part of human nature. I'm sure the presidential candidates feel anxious and even insecure at times right before a debate...But it's not healthy to "live" and "breathe" our insecurities and wrap our whole identity around being "inferior." (This is how I feel anyway and this is what I tell myself!)...Years ago I dropped out of the race to be the most beautiful woman in the world! I focused on being an "original" not a "clone" or "carbon-copy" of everyone else...We all have "worth" and "value" in our own "right." (Natural-born talents and skills that we develop as we move through life.)...I don't want to be a "beauty queen" and I don't want to be "just like" every other woman in the world...If someone decides to pass me by because I'm not "pretty enough" I say "good riddance!" I don't want to hang-out with shallow and superficial men or women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology