Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data-Lover View Post
Hi mates,
Any Ideas about this article ?!

Men are Smarter than women, New Findings
What is General Intelligence?

Generally, the ability to understand and solve mental problems is called “General intelligence”. Terms like IQ, General Factor, g factor or simply intelligence all refer to General

..... Moderator cut: Copyright violation, Read The Terms of Service Terms Of Service

[11] “All Nobel Prize Winners by Gender,” [Online]. ChartsBin.com
[12] “International Mathematical Olympiad” imo-official.org
[13] “Gold medalists,” [Online]. ipho2012.ee
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obviously... Joking aside, these studies are dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,855 times
Life just ain't so black and white. Not sure the purpose of this post?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I don't think men are smarter than woman, I've seen when men are more logical, because woman are an emotional mess at times and don't think straight.
Actually, woman should be much smarter than men- (as a quote I read years ago) Men are like dogs, always thinking of sex.

also depends how you define "smarter"

Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 AM

13 posts, read 37,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Actually, woman should be much smarter than men- (as a quote I read years ago) Men are like dogs, always thinking of sex.
Really?
FYI, Nobody always thinks about sex, men think about sex 19 times a day and women ten times a day!!
Study shows men don't think about sex as often as thought

Then, what women think about the rest of the day? Quantum Physics?

Actually, women think about fashion 91 times a day which equals: once every 11 minutes !!!! i.e. their appearance, dresses, lipsticks, ...
Men Think About Sex Less Than Women Think About Fashion

Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 AM

13 posts, read 37,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
You didn't mention the other side either.

"The rate of mental retardation is higher among males than females, and higher among blacks than whites, according to a 1991 U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study."

1- So, if I apply your train of thought, if more males are in the IQ realm of mentally retarded... would that not mean that women are smarter than men? More genius males = men smarter than women (according to you). So, your argument would then apply if the variable ranges to the opposite end of the IQ spectrum. If it doesn't why not? If there are more mentally retarded males than male genius... what would that imply? Anything?

2- Also, if you've ever taken a college statistics class you would know that you cannot take a specific target of people to accurately represent the whole population. Period. It has to be random. People do it, but it's not accurate.

As my favorite male scientist Stephan Hawkings once said when asked what his IQ was, "I don't know, people who brag about their IQ scores are idiots" or something along those lines (and I tend to agree with him). Intelligence is multi-faceted. A person can have an extremely high IQ score but can't seem to figure out how to foster good relationships or plunge a toilet (which, could arguably be more important than learning quantum physics).

In addition, you can't discount the criminal element of male behavior because it's a serious problem and has been throughout human history. If males were smarter than women, then they'd be better at makes decisions collectively. Take into consideration:

Males are more likely to:
Drop out of school (small difference however)
Drive drunk
Commit violent crimes and all that it entails (murder, rape, robbery, burglary)
Cheat on their wives
Abandon their child rearing obligation
Etc.

That's just off the top of my head. Does any of that mean men are dumber than women? Of course not. It's just men and women think differently.

Oh and also...

3- "...and please forget about the Peace Nobel Prize which is a joke compared to scientific awards." But yet you state the above bolded caption. If it's a joke then why did you use it?
1- I didn't say that the reason of higher IQ in men is the higher number of male geniuses, but I meant it counterbalances the effect of higher percentage of retardation among males (which you mentioned in your first reply).

2- The main researchers' concern in IQ tests has always been careful selection of people so that the sample can be a representative of the whole population (It is called "standardization sample").
This gender difference of 3-5 IQ points has been observed in standardization samples including the most recent one by Dr. Paul Irwing on an American standardized sample and another one by Professor Lynn on a Spanish standardization sample in 2002.

You are right that IQ is not everything. Establishing a good relationships needs many other factors like Emotional Intelligence, but that is a different measure.

3- I only referred to Nobel prizes in science/medicine and scientific awards as indicators of high mental abilities; I said Peace Nobel Prizes cannot be taken seriously (b/c of its political nature). Obviously, Peace Nobel winners like "Mohamed ElBaradei" or "Yasser Arafat" are not in the same league of intelligence with Albert Einstein, Erwin Schrödinger or Werner Heisenberg !!!

Last edited by Data-Lover; 11-11-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Well, it's a dual-edged sword. Because the bell curve for intelligence is flatter for men than women, that means while there are more male geniuses, there are also more males who are total morons, too.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data-Lover View Post
1- I didn't say that the reason of higher IQ in men is the higher number of male geniuses, but I meant it counterbalances the effect of higher percentage of retardation among males (which you mentioned in your first reply).

2- The main researchers' concern in IQ tests has always been careful selection of people so that the sample can be a representative of the whole population (It is called "standardization sample").
This gender difference of 3-5 IQ points has been observed in standardization samples including the most recent one by Dr. Paul Irwing on an American standardized sample and another one by Professor Lynn on a Spanish standardization sample in 2002.

You are right that IQ is not everything. Establishing a good relationships needs many other factors like Emotional Intelligence, but that is a different measure.

3- I only referred to Nobel prizes in science/medicine and scientific awards as indicators of high mental abilities; I said Peace Nobel Prizes cannot be taken seriously (b/c of its political nature). Obviously, Peace Nobel winners like "Mohamed ElBaradei" or "Yasser Arafat" are not in the same league of intelligence with Albert Einstein, Erwin Schrödinger or Werner Heisenberg !!!
Explanation noted. The point that you may have missed, Data, is I think you are putting way too much emphasis on IQ scores and ignoring the societal, historical, and behavioral factors. You can't post "men are smarter than women" with IQ scores to support your view without taking other factors into consideration. It's a one dimensional view in a multifaceted subject.

Now, if you said, "Men are smarter when it comes to math and sciences," then I'd state that is entirely possible (men just may have a stronger interest in the subjects). But still, you'd have to take historical/societal considerations of what women are/were allowed to do and what could inhibit women from being in those areas. That's what intellectuals do, they contemplate multiple angles before establishing conclusions. If you are saying, "in general, men are smarter than women," then obviously that's not something that can be easily quantified thru test scores even if they are supposedly random. I'd argue if men "in general" are more intelligent, men would not be at the forefront of stupid deviant behavior - cheating on their spouses, war crimes, perpetrators of rape/death camps, drugs and d.u.i's, molesting children, stealing, murdering/maiming, etc. I guess that 3-5 higher IQ points doesn't compensate for the testosterone factor.

Last edited by mommabear2; 11-13-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
This type of mentality of "males are smarter than women" - among other things - has led humanity into creating and supporting misogynistic cultures and atrocities committed towards women.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hmm!!! they must be excluding all the presidents and politicians that have destroyed this country
I'm sure that Karl Marx was also very intelligent, but look what his ideas have caused.

Intelligence does not equal prudence. In fact, it can well hinder prudence by inflating one's ego and making him or her feel capable of more than they really are.

I read a summary of this, and it seemed to indicate while men, on average, score 5 points higher than women, much of this is attributed to men outnumbering women at the upper end of the intelligence scale. Men are actually also more represented at the lower end, which would indicate that intelligence is more variable in men than women.

Anyhow, I discredit the basic assumption that makes people so jumpy about these findings, that somehow the more intelligent you are, the more human or worthy of respect or dignity you are. That's simply not true. Intelligence, however defined, can aid the community and be of great good, but it is a gift freely given, unearned, and not attributable to the possessor. It can also be used to commit great evils, as so many smart figures throughout history have demonstrated.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I dont know if this is relivent,but
when I studdied for my amature radio license ,It took me months because I needed to know why the right answer, was the right answer .
My wife on the other hand was a great test taker, and in less than two weeks took the test with flying colors .
The difference ,Two weeks later my wife does not know how to apply the inforamtion the test was about, and relied completely on me to set every thing up.
She has the intellect to be able to take something apart and reassyemble it correctly,but she lacks the emagination to build something she had never seen before .
Where as I repeatidly am building new equipment all the time .
Is this what they are talking about ?
In school I was a C-D student ,she an A student and collage as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology