Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Yes, but keep in mind that if someone uses a secondary definition (one that's been stretched by colloquial use or dumbed down) they are going to get confused by responses from people who actually know what the proper definition of the word is.

You ask a mental health professional "how does a woman's ego work?" and you are going to get explanations about the formation of the female identity and conscious sense of self.

So why not just ask "what is the difference between men and women with regard to what makes them feel good about themselves, and how do women demonstrate a high self worth in a way that's different from a man?" Why not just be clear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM

300 posts, read 659,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, but keep in mind that if someone uses a secondary definition (one that's been stretched by colloquial use or dumbed down) they are going to get confused by responses from people who actually know what the proper definition of the word is.

You ask a mental health professional "how does a woman's ego work?" and you are going to get explanations about the formation of the female identity and conscious sense of self.

So why not just ask "what is the difference between men and women with regard to what makes them feel good about themselves, and how do women demonstrate a high self worth in a way that's different from a man?" Why not just be clear?
I understood it just fine. It appears you're the only one whose comprehension is limited here.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM

But to act like "arrogance" is the true definition of "ego" keeps the misinformation going. I just thought that when people actually post questions, they might actually want to learn something. Silly me.

No, when someone uses the word "ego" I am going to respond according to the official meaning, self or identity, and not to the stupid pop-culture definition. This is how our language deteriorates and the population get dumber and dumber. This might be fine with you, but it bothers me deeply.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM

300 posts, read 659,228 times
Quote:
But to act like "arrogance" is the true definition of "ego" keeps the misinformation going. I just thought that when people actually post questions, they might actually want to learn something. Silly me.

No, when someone uses the word "ego" I am going to respond according to the official meaning, self or identity, and not to the stupid pop-culture definition. This is how our language deteriorates and the population get dumber and dumber. This might be fine with you, but it bothers me deeply.
Language changes. Change is not equal to deterioration. Clinging to what is inherently changeable causes suffering, and I sense that you are now suffering with frustration and self-righteousness over this word.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM

No, it just saddens me to see ill-informed people become even less informed. No self-righteous, just trying to actually help people with correct information. They can take it or leave it.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Traditionally, guys are conditioned to be all about getting ahead in life, while women are conditioned to be more about making friends, building relationships, connecting the family and being liked. It's changing but in general, these things are still part and parcel.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:

The irony of this all

Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Oh, I suppose my wanting to correct misinformation means I have a "big ego"? Haha, that would be a hilarious insight if it were accurate.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Oh, I suppose my wanting to correct misinformation means I have a "big ego"? Haha, that would be a hilarious insight if it were accurate.
You are not correcting misinformation. You seem to be getting off because you are the only one who knows the "true" definition of the word. There wouldn't be a problem if you simply stated what the actual definition is and drew a distinction between the colloquial use of the word. On the other hand, you explicitly stated that you get bothered by how people use the word in everyday usage. That's the problem. Your attitude in this last post is the icing on the cake.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
You are not correcting misinformation. You seem to be getting off because you are the only one who knows the "true" definition of the word.

I never said or implied that I am the "only" person who knows the true definition, so I am certainly not "getting off" on it. It's not like the ego is an esoteric concept--anyone in Psych 101 learns it.

There wouldn't be a problem if you simply stated what the actual definition is and drew a distinction between the colloquial use of the word.

I think that's exactly what I did do in my first post. I asked which definition the OP was going by, and pointed out that there are at least two definifitons, one the official definition and one colloquial.

On the other hand, you explicitly stated that you get bothered by how people use the word in everyday usage. That's the problem. Your attitude in this last post is the icing on the cake.

My "attitude" only developed when after I pointed out the issue people kept going back to the colloquial definition, and almost completely ignored that by using "ego" colloquially, the initial question didn't make a lot of sense, or at least, was not clear.

Once in a great while, I would just LOVE if a person would say "hey I didn't know that, thanks."
It's not about my "ego" but just about common courtesy, and humility.

I say that kind of thing all the time when someone teaches me something I didn't know. "Wow, I didn't know that, thanks." I would say that routinely admitting I DON'T know something, and thanking someone for sharing is the opposite of egotistical, it's humble.

And by the way, to the person who pointed out that there is a Buddhist definition of ego--Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll go read more about that. I'm alwasy eager to add to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology