Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 AM

676 posts, read 528,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandHunt View Post
What led me to this thread was a conversation I was having with a friend of mine today over lunch. He asked me "how many egotistical women do you know". It stopped me cold. He went on to say that: "women are generally considered emotional, while men with similar behavior, egotistical. Why is this? Sure seems sexist to me. An egotistical a-hole is an egotistical a-hole, regardless of what bathroom they are required to use. Is it possible that the fact that more and more women are being labeled egotistical, a true sign of equality? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How does 'emotional' translate to egotistical. I'd be more inclined to say women were vain, if we are going to generalize, while men are egotistical (or is it arrogant .... don't want to sound dumb).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2015 View Post
Most recently my boyfriend has accused me of having a "male" ego and that if I were a man, we would settle it with a fight....apparently I disagree too often, am too confident and do not go along with his opinions or his authority enough....I am sorry, but are you kidding me? Who says that to a girl they supposedly love....I guess having self esteem can also be seen as an ego problem...
Your boy friend would pick a fight with a guy who disagrees, has confidence, and does not give in to his authority? He must be fighting most of the time.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't fight people idly because my fighting world was meant to put people in the hospital.

That said, after I started living my life in my terms (and not under my father's or the military's roof), what I am became even more difficult for people to follow.

I'm a fatalist, a flirt, a joker. There are those around me who have said they would not be surprised if they found out I had been in an x rated movie. I'm a showoff and yet a loner. Despite the awesome firepower I have learned to use, I'm increasingly live and let live. I'm still learning not to argue as much...... BUT I have learned not to let another speak for me, for their opinion to be mine by default.

It's probably personal to a great degree that I don't argue as much, at least on the Net, because raising BP over a few electrons seems stupid.

I'm in my 50's and yet see things as if in my 20's or 30's (reality ocassionally has to remind me that I'm not).

I can be a pleaser and a stroker, sometimes because it is needed, but I think mostly because I like all the aspects of playing that part.

I'm all over the place......which probably makes very hard for people to nail me down.
I think that last sentence was probably enough.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydrumm View Post
Jesus. This would have been a really interesting conversation had it not descended into an argument about the definition of the word "ego".

I think the question of how a woman's self-worth, self-esteem, and sense of self, or identity, makes for a very interesting question because I think there are certainly aspects of a woman's identity that are different than a man's and gaining a greater understanding in this area could be immensely educational

Can people just lay their own fragile egos aside and actually explore the question rather than create big stink over the definition of words?
Sure. I can speak for myself here ... My sense of self worth comes from being valued by others. Mostly those who I have relationships with, but it spills over into general society as well.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I think what you are asking is, how do women express their feminine side. Everyone has an ego, if you accept Freudian concepts, or if you believe the ego is a manifestation of one's true self.

The answer is, just as it is with men, different with each one of us. For every demure woman, there is an aggressive one; for every sensitive woman, there is another who does not recognize nuance. I could go on and on.

If are asking what are typical manifestations, then again, there is no typical female ego. Just as your generalizations about men are just generalizations based on your life experience, any characteristics we could name would be generalizations about women based on our life experiences.

We are all different. We are all deserving of respect.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
I am way more concerned with my looks than most men I meet.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Ego , use of autonomy.
Subjective.

Personality traits branching from the "ego" are varied.

Passive? Aggressive? Introvert .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology