Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM

101 posts, read 165,068 times

Advertisements

I am a nervous wreck whenever I do something out of routine, eg., driving somewhere new, social situations, etc. I will be going on vacation in a few days, which is going to send my anxiety into a whole new level, so I went to my doctor to get something to help with my anxiety and he decided to give me a small prescription of Clonazepam (Klonopin), 30 x 0.5mg to be exact, to be taken once in the morning. I took a test dosage today at my doctors request to see how it would affect me.

I works surprisingly well. In the past I have been diagnosed with ADHD and more recently aspergers syndrome. The Clonazepam relieves the anxiety, but also most of my asperger symptoms, eg., racing thoughts, trouble sleeping due to racing thoughts, etc. Even my sever phobia of roaches/spiders (due to the aspergers according to my therapist) is all but gone!

Having seen the positive effects of the Clonazepam, I was thinking about asking the doctor about something less potent to help with my day-to-day asperger/anxiety symptoms.

With this note, my family is ready to dis-own me. My mother says that she has seen too many people fall down the slippery slope of drug usage, where they start with an anti-anxiety drug, and end up ruining their lives because of drugs.

And while I don't care about their opinions one bit, I am concerned that they are right...

I feel like I am innocently looking for help with my disorder, but my family makes it sound like I am about to start doing cocaine or something... Who's right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
DOPE IS DOPE...avoid it - street or prescribed...unless it is a life or death situation...there is no such thing as a happy pill...heal yourself.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I agree with the above. The drugs are bandaids, short-cuts . . . deal with the underlying issues.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 PM

101 posts, read 165,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I agree with the above. The drugs are bandaids, short-cuts . . . deal with the underlying issues.
The underlying issue (as I understand it) is overactive synaptic activity in the brain. If you know of a way to deal with that using diet and exercise, I would love to know!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I sure don't have a problem with it as a short term solution. The fact is that long term it just does not work well and many have fallen into some pretty bad states with that entire class of drugs.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
The underlying issue (as I understand it) is overactive synaptic activity in the brain. If you know of a way to deal with that using diet and exercise, I would love to know!
I "get" that you are being sarcastic and I know nothing of your disorder, but I can tell you, if I had it, I would research underlying causes and natural remedies . . . but that takes thinking outside of the box, which most people are not inclined to do.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM

49 posts, read 152,330 times
They are not as bad as some people portray them!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Mind over matter. . . no mind, doesn't matter.

Seriously though, mind drugs are convenience drugs IMO. Everything is life is options. My advice to you would be go the harder route and work on your brain, making it stronger. There is no shame in having a strong mind. It seems anymore people just say I can't do it (control their minds) and give in to the easy solution of taking a pill for whatever ails them.

Dang doctors are more than happy to oblige too, for obvious reasons.

I think it's a shame, but again, just my humble opinion.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
So far as taking drugs or not taking drugs, I listen to what my doctor says, not what other people have to say!

Over the years I have heard "medical advice" from non-doctors which is flat out wrong. Misinformation.

With that said, ask your doctor if there are problems with long term use. And ask if there are alternatives to taking the drugs. And you can always get a second opinion from another doctor.

Also read the drug information provided by the pharmacy. And the "more technical" information provided by the drug company for the doctors if you understand that.

Basically "knowledge is power". Just be sure what you are listening to or reading is "fact" and not "opinion".

Note: I've noticed people do the same thing with their cars. "Some guy down the street" says doing this and that will make the car run better (changing something to a non-manufacturer approved product). However the automobile manufacturers have whole floors of engineers designing these things. I listen to what the manufacturer says to use...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
So far as taking drugs or not taking drugs, I listen to what my doctor says, not what other people have to say!

Over the years I have heard "medical advice" from non-doctors which is flat out wrong. Misinformation.

With that said, ask your doctor if there are problems with long term use. And ask if there are alternatives to taking the drugs. And you can always get a second opinion from another doctor.

Also read the drug information provided by the pharmacy. And the "more technical" information provided by the drug company for the doctors if you understand that.

Basically "knowledge is power". Just be sure what you are listening to or reading is "fact" and not "opinion".

Note: I've noticed people do the same thing with their cars. "Some guy down the street" says doing this and that will make the car run better (changing something to a non-manufacturer approved product). However the automobile manufacturers have whole floors of engineers designing these things. I listen to what the manufacturer says to use...
The "manufacturer" is not a doctor (though many doctors would disagree!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology