Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,128,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
yep. i smell pedophile a mile away

How to spot a pedophile.

LMAO at this quote:

"man, I know that guy rapes children"
Being attracted to pubescent teens is not pedophilia.

Pedophilia - an adult sexual attraction to adolescents who have not yet reached puberty.
Ephebophilia - an adult sexual attraction to pubescent adolescents, generally 15-19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I think teenage years are when guys at their peak of attractiveness.
Seriously? You've seen teenagers, right?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,173,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
The premise of the Age of Consent is when a person at a certain age is considered to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts, which is 16 in most places. This has been criticized as being an arbitrary concept but I think nature says that the average age of consent is indeed just. At 16 puberty usually ends meaning that people are sexually mature but more relevant to the subject is that cognitive abilities are fully matured at 16.

Quotes taken from the Cognitive capacity section of this article:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel...p-64-7-583.pdf

With I that said do you believe that 16 is the appropriate age to consider someone to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts?
No. It should be older. There is a joke among psychiatrists and others in the mental health field about the teenage brain not being fully myelinated. Look it up.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,042,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Being attracted to pubescent teens is not pedophilia.

Pedophilia - an adult sexual attraction to adolescents who have not yet reached puberty.
Ephebophilia - an adult sexual attraction to pubescent adolescents, generally 15-19.
In terms of psychological classifications, there are some important differences between pedophilia and ephebophilia (often used interchangeably with hebephilia).

Pedophilia is recognized as a psychiatric sexual dysfunction. Pedophiles are rarely attracted to anyone who has reached puberty.

Ephebophilia is not classified as a sexual dysfunction. Ephebophiles are almost always attracted to other adults, and virtually never to children.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
In terms of psychological classifications, there are some important differences between pedophilia and ephebophilia (often used interchangeably with hebephilia).

Pedophilia is recognized as a psychiatric sexual dysfunction. Pedophiles are rarely attracted to anyone who has reached puberty.

Ephebophilia is not classified as a sexual dysfunction. Ephebophiles are almost always attracted to other adults, and virtually never to children.
Correct. There is generally a power-play that accompanies ephebophilia (but not always), whereas pedophilia is classified as a fetish.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Seriously? You've seen teenagers, right?
I agree and disagree with your sentiment. I know a 14 year old who could easily pass as a college student, she looks like a fully mature young woman.

I, on the other hand, was very much prepubescent at 14 and could have passed as an oddly tall 5th grader.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I agree and disagree with your sentiment. I know a 14 year old who could easily pass as a college student, she looks like a fully mature young woman.

I, on the other hand, was very much prepubescent at 14 and could have passed as an oddly tall 5th grader.
I'm recalling the group of teenage boys I saw when I was out last night. There was nothing attractive about that group of kids.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Broadly speaking, sixteen is not a terrible place to draw the line. But I would add, with regards to citations above, that a person's level of cognitive development is only one of several factors to consider.

Another important factor is the difference is power between partners. A sixteen year old may have the required level of cognitive development to consent to sex with, say, a 35 year old. However, the sixteen year old is likely to be in a far more vulnerable position financially, socially, legally, etc. That would make it easier for a 35 year old to exploit a 16 year old than another 35 year old.
I agree with this (the bolded). That is a HUGE point. It's not whether a girl is menstruating, whether her frontal lobes are developed to a certain extent or anything else. When a teenager sleeps with a person in his or her, say, 30s there is generally a big, big inequality of power and somebody is going to get hurt. And guess who that somebody is.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,157,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Same.

That's why it's always good to ask for two forms of ID.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Same.

That's why it's always good to ask for two forms of ID.
Ha! I have a friend who used to ask for ID if he was approached by a young-looking female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology