Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 AM

13,534 posts, read 9,940,045 times

Advertisements

You may know, but, do you think abuse can cause Asperger's Syndrome, or Asperger's like symptoms/behaviour?

Me, as a toddler, I was left unconscious for at least half an hour after a fall from a cot. No-one took me to the Hospital, or even a Doctor. I don't know how much damage was done.

Could still be abuse though, of some kind.

Any knowledge, or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,224,164 times
my cousin has aperegers , he,s in state care , he got hit by a car as a kid and also had menenjoytis as a baby

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
You may know, but, do you think abuse can cause Asperger's Syndrome, or Asperger's like symptoms/behaviour?

Me, as a toddler, I was left unconscious for at least half an hour after a fall from a cot. No-one took me to the Hospital, or even a Doctor. I don't know how much damage was done.

Could still be abuse though, of some kind.

Any knowledge, or opinions.
Aspergers is considered part of the autism spectrum, and while the cause is uncertain, it is a function of some sort of physical change to the brain right from birth. So it's possible that some kinda early brain damage (a concussion, etc.) might even mimic that, though you haven't mentioned the symptoms that concern you.

Sometimes mistaken for Aspergers, is Clinical Narcissism (NPD), though that is more of a psychological and behavioral disorder. The etiology is also unclear, and there are varying degrees, but it has been linked to childhood abuse and poor natal care.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,837,689 times
Can brain damage/brain injury cause autistic-like behaviors? I would think yes. All sorts of behavioral and neurological stuff can happen as a result of brain injury.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM

4,166 posts, read 6,287,510 times
BECLAZONE..I'm sorry about your fall. And sorry that you were left unconscious without care and concern for your welfare...Do you remember the incident pretty well even though you were very young when it happened?..I really don't know much (or anything) when it comes to the origins of Asperger's Syndrome. I just wanted to write and say that I'm sorry you didn't receive proper care and attention after you fell.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 PM

956 posts, read 1,761,375 times
I concur with Arizona. Group hugs from us, Beclazone.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM

13,534 posts, read 9,940,045 times
Thank you all for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
my cousin has aperegers , he,s in state care , he got hit by a car as a kid and also had menenjoytis as a baby
Sorry to hear that, I hope he gets the help he needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Aspergers is considered part of the autism spectrum, and while the cause is uncertain, it is a function of some sort of physical change to the brain right from birth. So it's possible that some kinda early brain damage (a concussion, etc.) might even mimic that, though you haven't mentioned the symptoms that concern you.

Sometimes mistaken for Aspergers, is Clinical Narcissism (NPD), though that is more of a psychological and behavioral disorder. The etiology is also unclear, and there are varying degrees, but it has been linked to childhood abuse and poor natal care.
None of the Narcissism. I have many Asperger's traits though.

I think too many conditions are starting to be mistaken for Asperger's. Quite honestly, I think it's making life a lot harder for those quiet ones that have no friends already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Can brain damage/brain injury cause autistic-like behaviors? I would think yes. All sorts of behavioral and neurological stuff can happen as a result of brain injury.
That's true, and I don't think the medical profession have much idea about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
BECLAZONE..I'm sorry about your fall. And sorry that you were left unconscious without care and concern for your welfare...Do you remember the incident pretty well even though you were very young when it happened?..I really don't know much (or anything) when it comes to the origins of Asperger's Syndrome. I just wanted to write and say that I'm sorry you didn't receive proper care and attention after you fell.

Thank you.
No, I don't remember anything of it. My Mother told my Wife about it, I've always known I was knocked out, but hadn't been told the full story. My Parents had left me in the room alone, so they didn't have to hear me crying. They don't know how long I was unconscious for, but even though they found me unconscious, they did nothing to help me. Maybe I just wasn't worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I concur with Arizona. Group hugs from us, Beclazone.
Thank you, that's somethng else I didn't get, hugs.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
Well I was diagnosed at the age of 14, I think I have 'borderline' traits and have received different opinions.

I had a difficult birth - they had to wrench me out with forceps. I wonder if it caused any brain damage, and also caused my anxiety disorder.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 PM

769 posts, read 875,892 times
its the mmr vaccine.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 AM

956 posts, read 1,761,375 times
Beclazone, you are most welcome. I didn't get too many hugs, either but luckily, my childhood's pretty stable and normal. Just come on here if you need some encouragement or to simply vent, ok? We are here to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology