Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I did too. Didn't stop me from making very good money, and having a great life.
That is a REAL rolling of the dice. You can wind up with a dumb job or you can wind up driving a rapid transit car like an acquaintance of mine does. There are no guarantees.

There are no guarantees with degrees, either, but some of them align better with certain occupations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
My experiences happen a lot in the Christian culture since we're so obsessed with marriage. This is why I stop serving in churches unless I have a strong passion to serve in a church without getting distracted. This is why I don't engage in church activities because most people probably comes with a marriage mindset (finding the one). Nobody ask "how's your single life" but rather "how's marriage life?". I hope I don't meet my husband in a church but rather through friends.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
I'm not sure the media (i.e.film) glorifies marriage/being partnered. Aren't there plenty of films that show unhappy marriages and relationships? And aren't most films featuring guys showing them reveling in the single lifestyle and not wanting to be tied down by a wife and kids? And with pop music, I'm sure that most videos and song lyrics don't espouse marriage so much as having lots of uncommitted sex.

Singles comprise almost half of American adults, so I can't believe there is a stigma to being single. I will admit to wondering "what's wrong" sometimes with a 50-something who has never been married, but certainly I don't expect people in their 20's or even their 30's to be married since those age ranges are often stuck in extended adolescence.

I do a lot of Meetup groups....and married/partnered folks rarely participate. I'm not sure why, if more than half of adults are married. I think it's because it's hard to find couples where both equally want to socialize. Not sure it's because married couples (maybe with the exception of newlyweds) want to be alone by themselves. But when I participate in these Meetups that are 95+ singles, I actually find a stigma about being married! People will ask why I'm there! I'd never crash a singles group, but when a group is open to all, as far as I'm concerned, that includes married people!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilwork View Post
Have you ever wondered why so many singles in America are unhappy, some of whom fall into deep depression and even contemplate or commit suicide, especially men?
I think you have this confused with married men. Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyways, what makes you think so many singles in America are unhappy? This is kind of a sweeping generalization, don't you think? I know many singles, including myself, who are very happy and couldn't imagine being married right now.

Quote:
Look at many television program's and movies. How many dozens of times have you seen the glorification of marriage and the family, while single people are portrayed as reckless, directionless, poor and generally bad influences on their married friends. There was a trailer I saw recently that fit the exact bill: the synopsis was two male friends, one married and one single are envious of the other's lifestyle and as a result of a spell, trade places. Of course, the married guy has a great career, kids and the nice house in the suburbs, while the single guy is basically down and out, living in an apartment.
You do realize this is Hollywood, right? You know, the land of make-believe? Believe me when I say that I know many married couples, who on the outside, look like they have the perfect, picket white fence, two kids and two and a half dogs type of life, but in actuality, are miserable.

Quote:
When your friends and siblings marry, they seem to want less to do with you, especially once they have children, yet they seem to find time for fellow "coupled" friends.
You ever thought it may be because they have kids and jobs to attend to and that this takes up a considerable amount of their time? You know, your priorities change once you have kids and get married. Many couples just don't have the time or it's not the first thing on their list of priorities to call their friends up to see if they want to do something. A good buddy of mine that I grew up with got married and had kids about ten years ago and I knew I wouldn't see him as much or hang out with him as much as I used to. And that's fine. In fact, I'd be more concerned if he wanted to hang out with me more than usual because that would suggest he doesn't have his priorities in order.

Quote:
So I get why so many single people and those single post-divorce become miserable. It's not so much the lack of companionship, but the pressure from society and the constant bombardment from the media that relationships are the be all and end all. Perhaps that's one reason why the divorce rate is so high?
Why do you keep saying single people are miserable? It kind of sounds like to me like your basing this off of how you feel being single and applying it to every single person.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:34 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm also stigmatized by society as a divorcee.
Stigmatized? In 2012?? Hell, divorce is about as commonplace as the telephone these days. It's kind of woven into the fabric of our society these days. I really find that hard to believe. Now if this was the 1950's.........

Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Stigmatized? In 2012?? Hell, divorce is about as commonplace as the telephone these days. It's kind of woven into the fabric of our society these days. I really find that hard to believe. Now if this was the 1950's.........
Well, then, since no one has a land-line anymore, divorce should be passe', too.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
There's another negative stereotype: "creeper". Thank you for actually reinforcing my points.

No, I'm actually not talking about me. Google the cases of single men being asked to move seats on airlines as one example.

SRSLY isn't a word, BTW.
Being asked to move seats on airplanes? WTF?

Single and married guys travel alone on business all the freaking time. I've flown by myself before, my married father has flown by himself many times.

How would the flight attendant know the guy isn't married anyway? Have they started examining men's fingers for a wedding ring? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology