Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You're preaching to the choir. I've been battling dark forces in there for the last few days, trying to interject some reason and rationality.
Except there's only one sex doing the battling...and a couple people fueling everything just for a laugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
In the California forum, there is ALwAYS a why are people moving from California thread. I frequently add my story. There are always the cheerleaders who feel if you yourself didn't still love the state, your view is worthless. The open land, state parks, and my favorite, how you can drive from the beach to the mountains in a few hours get brought up (well, if its the middle of the night).

I don't see why some seem to have to bash where you moved to, as dull, flat, etc, but the cheerleaders excell at it. I love threads like this since I can point out the way all that stuff doesn't mean you actually get time or money to do it. Of course here, all I have to do is drive out of town and ... open space! I never go to personal terms, just argue with the usual points.

I'm an old hand at boards, and very hard to insult. I also love picking apart stupid posts point by point. Religion (I'm pagan) and state boards seem to suffer most from this, but suspect long time message board/old bbs hands long ago ceased to be insulted and occasionally play with the rah rah crowd for fun.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
^ ^ No offense, and maybe you aren't among 'em, but the great majority of folks who leave Cali for other states, especially places like OK, MO, AR, TX, etc., all too often aren't bragging about where they're moving to... instead they're usually complaining about where they're coming from (and it's always the same kinda rightwing complaints... CA has too many ''illegals'', ''taxes'', ''regulations'', ''lib-ruls'', ''elites'', etc.)! So not surprisingly, that's often going to incite a lot of ''defenders'', even if you're not among the ''complainers''!

But nevertheless, congrats on your new home!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
In the California forum, there is ALwAYS a why are people moving from California thread. I frequently add my story. There are always the cheerleaders who feel if you yourself didn't still love the state, your view is worthless.
I didn't care for the last place I lived. It would never occur to me to visit that forum, let alone do so frequently. I just don't understand why you'd be drawn to the California forum. Do you enjoy reliving unpleasant memories?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I have noticed in a couple of the state forums that they don't want anything negative said about the areas but to me, the purpose is information sharing. If I can save or be saved from moving to an area that will not be a fit, I am thankful and I think most people want to hear opinions, good or bad. It is always nice to get a mix of opinions too. I was continually sliced and diced, my name and address put on a forum that had no moderation unless you made a direct complaint and then it took days for action. This involved the politics of a small area and their determination to keep things quiet and my determination, despite their best efforts, to inform. I had facts and when you have facts, they make it personal because they don't have anything else. I just kept thinking though, these were chicken butts who would never have the nerve to stand in front of me and say those things so why bother caring what they had to say as they huddled in front of their computer in the wee hours of the morning because of their empty lives. So, state the truth, let them bring it on and blow them off!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ No offense, and maybe you aren't among 'em, but the great majority of folks who leave Cali for other states, especially places like OK, MO, AR, TX, etc., all too often aren't bragging about where they're moving to... instead they're usually complaining about where they're coming from (and it's always the same kinda rightwing complaints... CA has too many ''illegals'', ''taxes'', ''regulations'', ''lib-ruls'', ''elites'', etc.)! So not surprisingly, that's often going to incite a lot of ''defenders'', even if you're not among the ''complainers''!

But nevertheless, congrats on your new home!
If I won the lottery, Id move to Monterey or Carmel

to me its the beautiful area, the ocean, the aesthetics. Yet every state forum , (and most states can have beautiful pics), but as someone famously said...you cant eat the scenery. I believe this to be true of a few southern states.

But I can post it here and not on the actual state forums Im talking about

Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Having been on the Internet for more than a decade and a half and experiencing countless bouts of criticism over almost anything posted, even the most trivial, it's pretty much impossible to take online criticism seriously anymore. All I can think is nobody's there to beat or assault me for and I can post whatever I feel (as long as it's legal) without any real-life consequences.. Maybe I'm turning into an online psychopath..
I've only been on here about a year, and after having a three day debate on the religion and philosophy forum that ended in a...screaming match of sorts and insults, and numerous other hostile experiences, I look at it less like being desensitized and more like, becomming more emotionally mature. People can yell and scream and I stay perfectly calm...but maybe a more permenant and less controllable change happens after such a much longer time, as you've been on here.

I think online debate forums would be a good experience for everyone. In just the last year, I've learned much about people, re-shaped my worldview to something likely more realistic, and become considerably more logical.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
I've always said that the internet was invented for shy people to be *****holes. It's amazing, human nature, the way people want to rip.
- Zach Galafinakis

Off of CD, I'm a muscular 215 lb black man. I encounter a ridiculous amount of racism on the internet; I started not to care when I realized that for all of the people saying this stuff online, very few seem to be willing to do it to my face. There's probably a reason for that

Old 01-05-2013, 03:00 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Online or offline, I don't take criticism seriously unless I think there's some truth to it. It's seems kind of silly to take criticism seriously otherwise.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
I am an active poster on another board that's been around almost as long as the Internet has. The owner has a pretty much no holds barred attitude and other than spam and attention hores (don't know if I'm allowed to use the actual word here), anything goes. There can be really good discussions there, but flame wars can also errupt with no warning in a perfectly innocent thread. I have never seen personal attacks so vicious anywhere else on the web. That board is certainly not for the faint of heart, but it remains one of the most interesting communities on the Net, so I continue to participate in it.

After 9 years on that place, I have the hide of a rhino and a very blunt posting style. I don't get upset if some stranger on the Internet doesn't like what I post. Chances are that I don't like their posts either, so the feeling is mutual. I've also learned to not post about stuff that involves any of my own personal emotional triggers, and I do attempt to respond in a manner appropriate to the forum I'm on.

I guess I wasn't appropriate enough though the other day on the CD politics forum. One of my posts got deleted because someone considered it a personal insult, but 5 other members had already given me rep points for it, so I had the last laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology