U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 PM

6,801 posts, read 11,788,872 times

Advertisements

Having been on the Internet for more than a decade and a half and experiencing countless bouts of criticism over almost anything posted, even the most trivial, it's pretty much impossible to take online criticism seriously anymore. All I can think is nobody's there to beat or assault me for and I can post whatever I feel (as long as it's legal) without any real-life consequences.. Maybe I'm turning into an online psychopath..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,410,478 times
I feel the same way people online go out of their to be judge, jury and in charge of the lethal injection.
I see so called world knowledgeable people being the most closed minded and love the smell of their own farts and the people who agree with them.

One good thing though it makes a fun game to find the social psychology terms that make up an internet forum.

I also have become an online psychopath.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,929,130 times
Ha, I've been on the receiving end of some of the most insulting comments that I've just learned to laugh it all off..

Someone told me once "I hope your mom gets aids and dies.."

Seriously, I was more impressed than angry at that one.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,402,077 times
Learned that you can't please ALL of the people all of the time. The best thing to do is not to get involved. One way or another, people sometimes take things too personally. Best to smile and keep going.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,397,302 times
Pretty much.

I've heard the following-

"Kill yourself ******."

"You're worthless."

"Get cancer."

Lol. I don't even bat an eye anymore. The internet is not meant to be taken seriously.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,094,449 times
I can maintain a calm detachment consistently. However, it seems that a vast number can't. I remember a discussion where I posted something (innocuous in my mind), and got absolutely *blasted* by some hot heads for it. My answering with calm detachment made matters worse, if you can believe it, as I was then accused of being severely mentally ill (for not turning into a raging monster in turn).

The internet is strange.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
My first message board was in 1986, a local bbs. Boards have been my favorite part of online activity since then. And back then some of the stuff got very personal. Nobody saw it because mods of the prenet networks like Rime and Fido interseded quickly. One person got very nasty about people I knew and turned out she had moved and it didn't work out and it was everyone else's fault.

One thing which will send me away from a board is if personal rants go beyond letting off steam about something general or name calling based on content. Some boards like the free for all and its mostly about that.

You can always tell a newbie and in one fandom a lot of the posters were. The online arguments went personal and it was a mess. I remember posting about how all anyone knows is your words so take care how you say things. If you have some newbies then things get defused or ignored. If you have mostly newbies, then watch out.

A board where the mods have 'favorites' or are so afraid of an argument that they 'ban' anything provocitive is a non issue for me since I won't be there. The key to a good online experience is the mods and how they behave. I give a plus ten on a scale of ten to the CD mods.

If someone wants to insult me, then I may or not reply, but in the end all they are doing is saying something about themselves.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

747 posts, read 1,563,175 times
I don't pay it any attention. There are a handful on CD in the Nashville TN forum that detest me when I post a little truth about the area. I pop on every now and then just to get a little chuckle reading their post. And usually don't comment. But when I do; I'm called a troll. I am too old and mature to play their little tit for tat games. The best thing is just to ignore and smile..

Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM

188 posts, read 263,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
The internet is not meant to be taken seriously.
My father told me that most of the stuff on the Internet is garbage. This is why I don't usually come to Internet message boards anymore because it is full of garbage.

In the past people did not have Internet and were a lot healthier and much saner than today. The Internet is corrupting people.

The Internet has destroyed my life. The is why I think that the Internet is really a dangerous thing if you take it seriously.

Last edited by Mr. Freak; 12-21-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 33,513,041 times
People like that...well I have an image in my head about them and don't take them seiously. They are really just internet litter and most of them have personality disorders that only the internet let's them display without consequence. I'd pity them if I gave them a second thought...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology