Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how do you feel about your life?
Life sucks, no point of living, maybe dying is less painful. 17 10.56%
life is meaningless, boring, depressing, sad. 26 16.15%
life is what you make of it, but dont look forward to anything 34 21.12%
life has ups and downs, but its still good 45 27.95%
life is ok, more good than bad 22 13.66%
life is awesome, if I die i will not regret anything, happy everyday 17 10.56%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 AM

20,119 posts, read 13,578,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Life = completely overrated. I generally feel that I do not belong here.

The ride is different for everyone though.
That's pretty much me, too, in a nutshell. I don't express this in mixed company though as people don't want to hear it. I priced it in a long time ago.

At 56, I have no regrets but a fair number of disappointments. A lot of it comes of / is exacerbated by being raised with a lot of idealism and poorly set expectations which I then spent most of my life prying out of my head with a crowbar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,389,036 times
Can't give an honest answer that fits any of the options in poll, so didn't vote. My assessment, my sentiment towards my life depends to a large degree on what I'm comparing it to (I'm better off than someone who doesn't have indoor plumbing, and I'm worse off than someone with an in-ground swimming pool), which domain of my circumstances we're focusing on (friends, romance, liberty, comfort, etc.), and how I feel in the present-which may change.

I'm happy about many many things and I'm unhappy about just as many things-or the unhappy things "weigh/count" more. Could make endless lists of examples in my life from both categories, upsides & downsides. Both points of view are true features of my life, it's more a question of which side of an imagined "average" baseline I feel myself to be on at any given moment in time.
Paying attention to the gratitude list would elicit a slightly more optimistic/rosy description of my current feeling.
Paying attention to the grievance list would evoke a more pessimistic/grim description of how life feels for me.

However, it's not that simple (if advice is to "focus on the positive"), because the unhappy things often demand my attention, in case I might be able to do something about them-though they tend to dominate my notice even when I cannot solve the problem. I do try to find a silver lining in how things go, but it only works occasionally.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,949,280 times
Volunteer. Do some good for others. You will gain self esteem, meet people, actually help other people in need and who knows what else.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,279,903 times
I love my life. I'm 23 and quit college a few years ago. Biggest mistake now...making barely 27k a year. But I think things happen for a reason. I'll find a new career (electrician, carpenter, blacksmith?, plumber). Who knows. Not worried. Other than that I can say I don't regret anything in life so far. Nothing.

I have a gf who I love and want to get married to and a family that taught me the things in life I needed to know. We lived a poor life, but I wouldn't take anything back. They tried and did very well imo for me and my brother.

I don't let things get too me like most people. I think everything in life happens for a reason. I was trying to get a manager job a few years ago. Got denied several times. Well the last time I got denied...my current GF of almost 3 years got the job. I'm glad I never received that promotion....would be a very different life right now.

I will never give up on life until I've done and seen everything I have ever wanted too. I wish I could live for 300 years if I could.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,331,459 times
I'v spent most of my life seeking approval from bosses, relatives, girl friends, and now my wife. I would help "friends" and volunteer for community projects. Spent 20 on a volunteer fire department. On the fire department I was the one that always serviced all the equipment without asking. My whole life as been a constant state of mild depression. When I realized that I could not think of a single occurrence of when anyone ever offered to help me with anything I got even more depressed. To me this meant that people were just using me. I was never invited to just come over to someones house to BS without getting there and having to help build something or to do some wiring for them.

Now retired and have had a chance to slow down and think about all this. I made the decision to go to a therapist. He informed me that I was normal and that all I need to do was to spend time on the things that I wanted to do. I'm happier now then at any time in my life. I tell everyone no, if they need something done.
It feels great. I'v said no to family, friends and anyone else that asks for help. Yes you are right, they think I'm a grumpy old man and to them they are right. The way I see it I have 3 good friends and that's enough.

Now for the bigger picture from 500 feet, I think life sucks. If you work for a living then you are just a slave to the system. If you think about it, all formal education is designed to produce good workers. There are no classes on running your own life and controlling your own life. It's all designed to make you a productive part of society. It's hard to be happy when you always have someone telling you what to do. Retirement is the only time in life that maybe you can break those ingrained ways and become a fully functioning independent person. There are allot of retired people that will never make to that point in life and when they retire they still have a strong desire to continue to work for living, this sucks the most.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:07 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,613,532 times
I feel that my life is sorta a computer code I must carry out to the end. I'm irreligious but listening to hunches and intuitive "Insights" gives me the sense of doom or "destiny" so to speak (I don't claim there are any "invisible" forces behind that, it must be wiring of my brain). When I look back I can honestly say that I couldn't do anything differently. Do I like everything (or most for that matter) when I look back? Hell no. I just don't believe there was/is anything else for me in the "big book of life". As poster above I seek autonomy and independence from "external" pressures on my behavior, preferences & pursuits. This alone set you aside as an aberration to deal with or to avoid. There is a steep price to pay in career, money, friendship & relationships, etc. I'm not quite sure that cost-benefit analysis of my decisions makes any economic sense, I just don't believe I could do it differently.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,038,698 times
My life feels like one big unfulfilling, unexciting, boring event

But I still fantasize about how it will be once it gets better.

I sometimes hate myself for dwelling on the past too much, and most of all for not doing enough or giving 200% like I promised myself when I was young. I still have hope I am not having unrealistic expectations.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,178,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I feel that my life is sorta a computer code I must carry out to the end. I'm irreligious but listening to hunches and intuitive "Insights" gives me the sense of doom or "destiny" so to speak (I don't claim there are any "invisible" forces behind that, it must be wiring of my brain). When I look back I can honestly say that I couldn't do anything differently. Do I like everything (or most for that matter) when I look back? Hell no. I just don't believe there was/is anything else for me in the "big book of life". As poster above I seek autonomy and independence from "external" pressures on my behavior, preferences & pursuits. This alone set you aside as an aberration to deal with or to avoid. There is a steep price to pay in career, money, friendship & relationships, etc. I'm not quite sure that cost-benefit analysis of my decisions makes any economic sense, I just don't believe I could do it differently.
Yeah I'm a determinist. I think how my life has turned out has turned out this way for a reason. Perhaps that was pre-ordained at the Big Bang. We all originate from a point smaller than this full stop.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,285,145 times
For me life is above good. Just this year alone I went on three international vacations. I've raised three kids, all who have turned out much better then I expected and the last one left the house. I've been married to a beautiful woman for 33 yrs and we are both going to retire in about 4 yrs and travel the rest of the world.

I still have my health, although my blood pressure is now borderline. All in all, I cannot complain about life at all on a personal basis. Its been very good too me.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,178,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
For me life is above good. Just this year alone I went on three international vacations. I've raised three kids, all who have turned out much better then I expected and the last one left the house. I've been married to a beautiful woman for 33 yrs and we are both going to retire in about 4 yrs and travel the rest of the world.

I still have my health, although my blood pressure is now borderline. All in all, I cannot complain about life at all on a personal basis. Its been very good too me.
I'm happy for you and wish you happy and interesting travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology