Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how do you feel about your life?
Life sucks, no point of living, maybe dying is less painful. 17 10.56%
life is meaningless, boring, depressing, sad. 26 16.15%
life is what you make of it, but dont look forward to anything 34 21.12%
life has ups and downs, but its still good 45 27.95%
life is ok, more good than bad 22 13.66%
life is awesome, if I die i will not regret anything, happy everyday 17 10.56%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,681,681 times

Advertisements

life is passing me by...
so much to do, so little time...
i feel like i fight for pennies and nickels...
like i fear my actions now will cause me to be in a lesser position later...
like, if i don't fight for it, i won't have my lake porch, only the lake...
and, i need my lake porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,231,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Each life is what the owner makes of it. The only person who has the ability to make the changes are you. Yes, other people's decisions affect you, but how you react to it is up to you. Your decisions will also affect others, but it's not your responsibility how they react to you. Live your life how you want. Don't like something, change it. Lonely, join a group, join a class... Reach out to others. Yes, you will get shut down some, but what about the ones you do connect with?

Go LIVE your life!~You're the only one who can!
I don't believe anyone was asking for advice here.

If you were to ask me this question 2-3 years ago I probably would've chose the first option on the poll. Nowadays though I seem to agree with the majority. Life has it's ups and downs but at least now it seems I have some prospects on the horizon.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,634,248 times
Life is about to be good for me. When I realized that I am in a place that is sort of like in limbo, I decided that I had to do something to make a change. So Im getting a new apartment in a new neighborhood, and just that change of environment will mean a lot. I think if you can - if life sucks, change it. Even if it is tough or takes a lot of energy, try to make little steps at a time, and then eventually it will come together. Like im getting too old and Im not in the best physical shape, so at the beginning I thought I'd be too tired to handle it, but then i started packing about 4 months ago .. just to make a start. that made me feel great and liberated, one thing led to another.. and its almost over, and i did have the energy to do it.

Now i do not recommend be like the Hoarders on TV that get bored and spend thousands of dollars on shopping, but i think moving and being active energized someone.

and if like sucks CHANGE IT. i do not believe in this stupid modern day pop pseudo psychology which tells you to feel like a victim and depend on the government and this is all your going to get. I believe in the "kick your ass" therapy.. which is - dont sit and feel sorry for yourself, but get your butt moving and then that will energize you. dont sit and stew is what im saying.

For that matter, if you have the opportunity to either - work or take welfare - IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE - choose to work. even volunteeer. This modern day dependence crutch on the government handouts - IF YOU CAN CHANGE IT - do it. i think that welfare system creates a dependence and affects people's self worth and energy.. if you cant work, then go volunteer at the pet shelter where the pets will cheer you up and you will be doing something othe than sitting around watching tv. ok now if you legitimately cant find work and need unemployment benefits to get by, fine, but if your not working but CAN work - then GO TO WORK! do something,,, all that government depenency will make anyone depressed and feeling like a powerless victim...

thats my opinion for what its worth.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,917,014 times
Ups and downs, but all good. One thing suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I've seen the faces of people who commit suicide. If you ever did, that thought would never cross your mind again.

Anyway life's pretty darn good. I have ups and downs, family drama and insanity which I'm resolving. Every day is just another adventure and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,746,062 times
While I am not suicidal or anything honestly I am at a point where I don't really see why I should value life or just living in general. I will admit I am lucky in some ways such as being able to travel overseas a few times along with a family that is generally supportive, but just dealing with the normal day to day stuff is just soul sucking to say the least especially with work/school/social situations/etc.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM

132 posts, read 188,803 times
Meh, life sucks. Oh well I'm going on vacation soon, then after that might just go ahead and see the great beyond. I love how people say it is a temporary problem with a permanent solution but how else do you solve a problem that you've had since 7 years old? Therapy didn't work only made things worse.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,231,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Life is about to be good for me. When I realized that I am in a place that is sort of like in limbo, I decided that I had to do something to make a change. So Im getting a new apartment in a new neighborhood, and just that change of environment will mean a lot. I think if you can - if life sucks, change it. Even if it is tough or takes a lot of energy, try to make little steps at a time, and then eventually it will come together. Like im getting too old and Im not in the best physical shape, so at the beginning I thought I'd be too tired to handle it, but then i started packing about 4 months ago .. just to make a start. that made me feel great and liberated, one thing led to another.. and its almost over, and i did have the energy to do it.

Now i do not recommend be like the Hoarders on TV that get bored and spend thousands of dollars on shopping, but i think moving and being active energized someone.

and if like sucks CHANGE IT. i do not believe in this stupid modern day pop pseudo psychology which tells you to feel like a victim and depend on the government and this is all your going to get. I believe in the "kick your ass" therapy.. which is - dont sit and feel sorry for yourself, but get your butt moving and then that will energize you. dont sit and stew is what im saying.

For that matter, if you have the opportunity to either - work or take welfare - IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE - choose to work. even volunteeer. This modern day dependence crutch on the government handouts - IF YOU CAN CHANGE IT - do it. i think that welfare system creates a dependence and affects people's self worth and energy.. if you cant work, then go volunteer at the pet shelter where the pets will cheer you up and you will be doing something othe than sitting around watching tv. ok now if you legitimately cant find work and need unemployment benefits to get by, fine, but if your not working but CAN work - then GO TO WORK! do something,,, all that government depenency will make anyone depressed and feeling like a powerless victim...

thats my opinion for what its worth.
What the hell does government handouts and welfare have to do with this? Many people who suffer from depression and are unhappy hold down jobs. What is all this nonsense about govenrment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ups and downs, but all good. One thing suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I've seen the faces of people who commit suicide. If you ever did, that thought would never cross your mind again.

Anyway life's pretty darn good. I have ups and downs, family drama and insanity which I'm resolving. Every day is just another adventure and I can't wait to see where it takes me.
Are you sure about that? For all we know some people looking at this thread maybe wearing that face as we speak. Just a thought.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,340,837 times
I have bad health but I try to make the best of it, I have days that are terrible because of the pain all over..but then along comes a better day and I do what I can..I try to make the better days last. There's pain everyday but some days it's bearable and that's all I have to work with. There's no point wishing it was different. There's no cure. Euthanasia is a good thing for when it becomes unbearable every single day...But that's a long way off I hope...And I'm not wanting to die just yet. I have plans.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM

865 posts, read 1,492,815 times
I have to confess mine is a mix between "Life is what you make of it, but I have nothing to look forward to", and "Life is boring, dull, etc". I don't have a horrible life - but it is just kinda there! I go to work, push through the day at a job that I am underappreciated for, go home run errands, cook dinner, take care of pets, get ready for bed, etc. It is already 9pm by then, so I don't have a lot of time to do much besides TV, facebook or android games, or maybe just catch up on things so maybe if I am really lucky I can be done with everything by 8pm the next day. My weekends are mainly errands, and if I am not doing that or cleaning I have to admit I don't know what to really do...I guess catch a movie or something, but I wish I could be doing more sometimes...

However, I do have a career, I have a husband, my husband has a good career, and we have a nice house! Not a lot of friends, but we are exhausted from working so we don't really go out and make them much.

I guess you would say we are stuck in a rut, burnt out from business travel so don't like to be far on weekends. Me personally, I am sick of travel and have been most everywhere in the western hemisphere, and traveled extensively in Europe (over-rated)! I have worked since I am 12 so not into having tons of hobbies to take my time up, and really I have fulfilled most of the dreams I set out for myself.

Yes, I have been busy, and yes my life is more plush than most since I am not in a state of need, and the only debt I have is a mortgage (students loans were paid off a couple years after graduation, and I never had a car payment because I saved first). I don't have kids, but have 8 pets and a stepson. The stepson is actually less interactive then the pets, who can be quite needy! With already having such an aloof stepson, and all these pets demanding attention, I don't feel the need to have kids, plus don't feel like getting over the physical/fertility issues I have to get pregnant.

Sure, I would love to be skinnier or make more friends maybe as a goal, but I have to admit besides taking my dog for walks around the neighborhood to lose weight when the weather is warmer (he will love it), I almost don't see a point of doing much more with my life. I have a back injury (herniated discs), so I can't go nuts with exercising. However, walking the < 10 lb dog will do wonders for both of us!

I am so stable I am almost too stable...too boring! I'm an introvert, so a lot of times I'd love more friends, but I am so drained by work (emotionally) it doesn't happen. When I am in crowds or around people, I am not one of the people to be sought out, and/or it seems like people around me have their side conversations going on and I am only there as a tag along. In real life, I really got to push myself on others, something people don't really like and again, is exhausting for me. Also, I have to speak up or I don't even get remembered about things. I know way too many strong types who command the center of attention always, especially at work. I'm friendly with these people, but it is always all about them to management and other co-workers everytime they enter a room. My family tends to ignore me to, in favor of gossiping about the messed up stuff in the family. My friends have drifted away and gone into other groups of friendships. I tried to tag along, and realized I had nothing to add (we couldn't relate to each other), so I stopped doing that and let the friendships drift more. I don't know, maybe I just don't have enough drama or cool stuff going on in my life to really make friends or even get less ignored once in a while?? I would just like to hear someone genuinely ask me "how have you been?" and mean it, I haven't been the one of the receiving end of that in long time (I am always the one asking).

Anyway, it all has me saying, I have your typical suburban life, but in the words of Jack Nicholson "Is this as good as it gets?" Well, at least I got the dog...plus, I am considering a plan to pay off my house early as a goal...sounds exciting, doesn't it...lol!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,634,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
What the hell does government handouts and welfare have to do with this? Many people who suffer from depression and are unhappy hold down jobs. What is all this nonsense about govenrment?
:
Because being on welfare is depressing. Working is energizing. In case the person is feeling bad and not working, then thats what i recommend- get active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology