Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how do you feel about your life?
Life sucks, no point of living, maybe dying is less painful. 17 10.56%
life is meaningless, boring, depressing, sad. 26 16.15%
life is what you make of it, but dont look forward to anything 34 21.12%
life has ups and downs, but its still good 45 27.95%
life is ok, more good than bad 22 13.66%
life is awesome, if I die i will not regret anything, happy everyday 17 10.56%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,990 times

Advertisements

I have a really hard time regretting anything about my life, even the pain, just because I like looking back and seeing how far I've come and how these events have shaped me as a person. I'm growing, and that's what matters to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
life sucks. my life is not great, but i guess there are lots of people who are worse off than me. i have a lack of friends and no girlfriend, but i am not suicidal. for the most part, i like being single and having a lack of friends. i had a friend that just dragged me down into dire straits financially and legally. since then, i have cut ties. the downside to that is that i have even more trust issues than i did before. i've changed my lifestyle and started exercising regularly. i've finished school and have started to uphill, obstacle ridden job hunting trail. my financial situation has improved, and i have my own car. it's not as bad as it used to be. seeing my mom's deteriorating health has been a bit hard on me though.

my teenage years were the worst of my life and i was suicidal pretty much every day, but i never acted upon it. im not an optimistic person, but i am less pessimistic than i used to be about most things. i am not as depressed as i used to be. my self-esteem has improved, but is still low. overall, i can say that my life is on a gradual, slight incline upward. do i wish i had a girlfriend or more of a social life? sometimes. then i just remind myself of my past relationships and about how most people are not trustworthy in general, and i am rather content.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
I picked, "life is what you make of it, but dont look forward to anything"

I've accomplished a lot in life, all of my goals from childhood have been accomplished, I've traveled everywhere I've wanted to, lived in many places, worked MANY different positions and in a variety of industries, dated some fun and not so fun people, had good and very bad friendships. Now, I'm bored and confused. I don't know what to pursue or chase after anymore. Life, for the past few years especially, has become lackluster and I'm jaded.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post

I've accomplished a lot in life, all of my goals from childhood have been accomplished, I've traveled everywhere I've wanted to, lived in many places, worked MANY different positions and in a variety of industries, dated some fun and not so fun people, had good and very bad friendships. Now, I'm bored and confused. I don't know what to pursue or chase after anymore. Life, for the past few years especially, has become lackluster and I'm jaded.
I agree with most of what you said. I picked "My life is awesome! Sure; I've had negative things happen in my life; but what person doesn't. I just chose to work through it and find the positive in it. I too have been all over the world and have seen and lived so many things. I'm in my 50's, was also bored. I decided to go back to college! It's the best thing I've ever done!! Plus I got a great job that's working around my classes I won't ever stop going and doing. I love people and enjoy being out and about

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
My life is kind of a mixed paradox for recent times. There is a lot I enjoy about life, and I do have a lot of positive satisfying experiences. I know very well what to get from life. I probably overall have an equal amount of optimism and pessimism, but it really depends on the day. I need some of life to become more consistent.

I am going to live in another city and new home soon, and I can’t wait to move.

I am 21 years old and that is such an important, vibrant, intriguing part of someone’s life. I am so glad I’m not older yet, and even prefer if I was 2 years younger.

Is there any reason why there weren’t more poll options for this topic? An entire brief summary that encompasses how someone feels about their life definitely would include more than 6 poll options. Either way, I choose “Life has ups and downs, but its still good.”

Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM

934 posts, read 402,535 times
I find it so difficult to answer. (And how do you feel about your life should be an easy question. Why the heck is it so difficult for me?)

Ok, I've decided to do my best (because I feel it's important)

Can't really pick any of the 6 offered options.

maybe something that combines 3 and 4 would do: life is what you make of it, it has its ups and downs (which means I am making something of it, but it's still not really great). So, I have a lot to learn, even though I'm 48.

Well I'm sure I'll answer this question properly and it'll surely remain in my word. I think each one of us owes him/herself a thorough answer

So, thank you, OP.

Last edited by switchtoecig; 03-19-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
The distribution on the results is almost a bell curve!!

###

I think where you "are" in life might play in your answer.

For me, a widower in approaching his mid 50s, I feel my life is mostly over.

Not biologically over since I probably will live into my 90s, or at least later 80s, based on my grandparents passing (if I dont get cancer or something), but sort of socially or existentially over. My relationship with my partner was the high point or the "purpose" of my life, but now that's over and I'm sort of running out the clock until God sounds that the final bell or horn.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I do not fit your poll. Life is better than OK. It is generally awesome, but I am not happy every day. Sometimes I am unhappy for months, but life is still awesome. It is just me that is unhappy.

Life is pretty great. I have some awesome experiences and wonderful people around me. Sometimes I find myself in circumstances about which I am unhappy. So I need to re-direct my life to make me happy again, but that is not life that is the problem, I am the problem and the direction I am going. Life is perfectly capable of being great and happy, I just have to make the right choices and go in the right direction. So while life is awesome, I am not all the time thus, I am not happy every day.

So I need a check mark between "OK" and "Happy Every day"

Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post

I was there a while ago. All of my goals accomplished, my career had peaked, my family was good well adjusted and i could see where they were headed and the kids really did not need that much further direction from me. Now what? I knew I needed some new goals, but could not think of any that appealed to em.

It was distressing for a few years. Then I made some big changes and hunted down some new goals. It actually helped that we met financial disaster. It identified new goals and allowed me to consider changes I could not consider before. Now I am working on goals in new directions that I had not previously considered. It is more pleasant once I stopped flapping in the wind, just waiting for things I already knew were going to happen. It was kind of like a book or movie with a predictable plot/story line. You know what is going to happen so you wonder whether it is worth the effort to continue watching or reading it.

It got better. I cannot entirely say how, but at least I have some new goals and I am developing some other goals. No longer stagnant. .

Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Overall I have a good life. I enjoy my family, friends, job, the guy I am dating etc. The only thing that I would like is to get married someday when I meet the right guy but until then I am happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology