Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM

776 posts, read 580,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with this. When it comes to normal volunteer activities I do agree...but for the people who fly into Haiti after earthquakes, and continue to try to help in Aleppo despite the grave danger, people who go to help in refugee camps in Rwanda, these people are not risking their very lives to get a "good feeling".
They are doing it because they can't live with themselves without trying to help, they think it's so abominable what happens to innocent people that they feel compelled by their own values to help. Again, that's sure not me, but Thank God he made people like this. I think it's reprehensible to imply there is any sort of quid pro quo for people like this to do what they do.
...Yes, but they are still getting something out of it. You summed it up perfectly with "that they feel compelled ". They receive a feeling when helping. The compelling is from the feeling, the feeling is from helping. If they didn't receive the feelings, they would be compelled. Therefore they receive drive. They go to help people or animals, which they get a feeling from.
...If you want to argue morality with religion, I can go there. If we use Christians, they do good because it will either A. please their god(acquiring a good feeling) or B. get them into heaven(acquiring access). I have not found one person to do something for nothing, I don't believe they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
...Yes, but they are still getting something out of it. You summed it up perfectly with "that they feel compelled ". They receive a feeling when helping. The compelling is from the feeling, the feeling is from helping. If they didn't receive the feelings, they would be compelled. Therefore they receive drive. They go to help people or animals, which they get a feeling from.
...If you want to argue morality with religion, I can go there. If we use Christians, they do good because it will either A. please their god(acquiring a good feeling) or B. get them into heaven(acquiring access). I have not found one person to do something for nothing, I don't believe they exist.
That's silly. Every single thing we do in life is driven by a feeling, even grabbing a slice of pizza. I disagree, let's just leave it at that. I think for some reason some here are trying to feel better about themselves by denigrating those who do more than most, and I find that sad.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:38 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's silly. Every single thing we do in life is driven by a feeling, even grabbing a slice of pizza. I disagree, let's just leave it at that. I think for some reason some here are trying to feel better about themselves by denigrating those who do more than most, and I find that sad.
I'll approve our agreement by agreeing to disagree, then agree with the second part.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:38 AM

473 posts, read 502,232 times
Some Christian churches are only based on hatemonger belief systems and members so nasty, they qualify as 'personality disorders' on the mental illness scale due to psychopathic behaviors. Can be almost cult and cannot leave without threats of harm to family, stalking by church members or financial damages....This is just the church movement with belief in the hateful God and no ethics taught to church members any longer. Saw one place that never opened the bible in the 18 months I attended and place was just a dirty business network of slaves to harass the unwanted in the community and parishioners using their jobs to do conduct questionable business transactions to benefit church elders....Understand why some gave up the church system and just stay atheist to keep this away from their families. Is really bad when you are told you cannot work in a city unless you are a church member of ___________.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:14 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
pick your garden and plant your seeds.

My grandma taught that when I was growing up. Holds true.

My investments in "caring" may weaver from my neighbors , yet most times we are each linked in contributing through efforts, donations and sometimes simply acknowledging that it is a concern.
Denial and indifference have rarely produced fruit full results.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:35 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I think some people, including myself, are burned out from the entitlement mentality so prevalent now. (Before I continue, I know that certainly not every unfortunate/poor person feels "entitled" to charity, but a great many do.) My personal "burn out" comes from volunteering and donating for most of my 63 years. I could go on and on, but my most recent irritation is with Family Homestead, an organization that apparently supports needy families. http://www.familyhomestead.org/holiday-project/

Now, my husband and I usually spend at least $250 a year on Toys for Tots, Giving Tree, etc., so when we received information about the Family Homestead Adopt-A-Family holiday project, I clicked on the link above, and I was astonished to see what they were demanding of those who do decide to give.

[quote]: (NOTE: I put all quotes in italics)

"Donors are asked to Adopt-A-Family which includes the following:

Purchasing specifically requested gifts for each family member

Purchasing a small artificial tree (if the family has requested one)

Donating $10 per family member to be used to purchase a Holiday meal for the family

Providing gift wrap and tape so the parents can see and then wrap the gifts for each of their kiddos

DONORS ARE ASKED TO STRICTLY ABIDE BY SPENDING GUIDELINES

Children 0-6: $100
Children 6-11: $125
Children 11-18: $150
Adults or children in adult sizes: $150"
[END QUOTE]

And if you can't give that much, then you are welcome to make a donation with other givers so that donations can be combined to make sure that each family receives their designated share. Additionally, if you go to the FAQ's page, you will see the following:

[quote]

"Do I have to adhere to the spending guidelines?

Yes, we ask each donor to firmly adhere to the spending guidelines. Families live in community and will discuss gifts they receive with one another, especially the kiddos. It is unfair if one family receives significantly more than another.
[Note: My bold -- and God forbid that these people who are receiving GIFTS should feel that they have not been treated fairly!]
[END QUOTE]

So, assuming that the family is a two-parent household with two kids, the MINIMUM demanded contribution for each family would be about $500.00! Now, in my family, my husband and rarely spent more than the equivalent of $50 in today's money on each other for Christmas when we were young and not more than $100.00 on non-clothing gifts for each of our kids -- so the total would be $300.00, not $500.00! And we certainly did not always give our kids exactly what they asked for! Our kids were taught to be grateful for ANY gift.

P.S. And, btw, I went shopping for a new outfit for myself yesterday and bought new jeans, costume jewelry, shoes and a sweater for a total of $66.00 plus tax! But, then, I have learned to budget and shop for bargains,

Last edited by katharsis; 11-03-2016 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 03:02 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post

When I say people don't care, I am not saying that people should devote their time to volunteering or give more to charities. It's the simple, everyday stuff I'm talking about. I'm talking about reckless driving, lack of manners and etiquette, people stepping on one another to get to the top at work, throwing others under the bus at work, using others for their car, money or for emotional support which is usually one way.

The truth is that for all our advances in technology and medicine and despite becoming more tolerant of homosexuality and other races, we have become far more self-centered and less community oriented, leaving so many people truly alone; people who aren't (for whatever reason) fortunate enough to have a circle of family or friends around them.

People live in their own bubbles, especially in America. Your live to work culture certainly doesn't help, nor does geography (since people often live so far apart and commute long distances).
Sorry, I just saw this post where you clarified what you were talking about, and although I will let the above post stand -- sorry for the rant! -- I will now address what you said above. I absolutely agree with most of what you wrote, although not regarding myself, because I agree with, and practice, the idea that if people would just be kinder and more polite and considerate of one another, the world would be a much better and nicer place.

However, I do NOT agree that this lack of caring about others is due to a "live to work" culture but rather to a basic selfishness and self-centeredness that seems to be part of the makeup of so many people today -- and, yes, I admit that I am guilty of that to some degree because I think that no one is going to look out for my interests except for me and my husband. However, that being said, I do not think that my wants and needs are more important than those of anyone else.

I also think that people should be responsible for themselves, for the most part, and that the government and other organizations should stop making it easier for those who choose not to earn enough money to support themselves and their families. (And, of course, I am NOT referring to those who are not able to work, for whatever reason.)

Last edited by katharsis; 11-03-2016 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology