Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times

Advertisements

I still get those dreams.

For me it's usually some college class that I completely forgot about until I get my exam schedule or it's the end of the semester and I suddenly remembered it. The last time I had the dream is that I had some courses at some campus that was a far drive and work kept getting in the way of me going and now it's toward the end and I don't even have the book yet and feel like I need to start going and try to get caught up.

Usually I am worried both about getting laughed at when I show up to take the exam, everyone will know I never came to class, and if I should try to take it and hopefully pass even if it's too late to hope for a good grade. It is just a stress dream but they're very vivid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,512,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I have this dream every so often. I come back from school break and I forget my class schedule and as a result I forget to go to a class. I get to the end of the semester only to learn this, and that I obviously failed the class. I have had dreams where its been a high school teacher with people I've gone to high school with, and also I've had this dream where I am in college. Some dreams I dream that I am printing out my college credit/class list only to have a red mark of a class I missed. I wake up in panic, but then realize that in actuality, I have graduated college years ago and everything is just fine.

Why would I have this on my mind and why would I be dreaming about this, years later? Similar stories?

I used to have this type of dream quite frequently. Also not being able to remember the combination to my locker...here I am in my sixties now. I chalk it up to stress. Another reocurring dream is going on a trip and forgetting to pack, especially my make-up. I would like to know what that is about.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,391,360 times
Yes, I've had this dream. I'm in high school and I suddenly realize I haven't been to a class all semester, or all year. The theme is recurring, but never exactly the same.

Another recurring dream I have is about goldfish. In the dream I have goldfish, and I'll suddenly realize I haven't fed them for days or weeks. And oddly enough, I go to check on the goldfish, the tank is gunky and filthy, but the fish are alive. I think ONCE they might've been dead. And I was cleaning the tank or something after. But that's very vague. Not sure about that one.
Now I wonder what THAT dream means.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,832,366 times
I did some dream research years ago and might have some insight on this theme. From what I can remember learning, this theme being discussed would reflect a general anxiety or fear that you are not currently paying attention an element in your life, something that could have ramifications for not being acknowledge. The subconscious uses the classes as a symbol for something you are accountable for. For example, in current life, you could, deep within your mind feel that you are neglecting an important aspect... could be anything: your health and fitness, family, or job duties for examples. Things that can be put out of mind in life as we are busy, but later you will feel repercussions for not having paid enough attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Another recurring dream I have is about goldfish. In the dream I have goldfish, and I'll suddenly realize I haven't fed them for days or weeks. And oddly enough, I go to check on the goldfish, the tank is gunky and filthy, but the fish are alive. I think ONCE they might've been dead. And I was cleaning the tank or something after. But that's very vague. Not sure about that one.
Neglected animals and pets in dreams I have learned are symbolic of not paying attention to an aspect of yourself that needs some attention and/or nurturing. For example, a workaholic may dream his kitten is ill and underfed, a sign that he works too much and does not "feed" or balance his life with pleasure. The neglected fish in this case would then represent something you are not feeding or caring for within yourself.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,733,870 times
missy Rivers,
thank you for your insight!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Yes, I've had this dream. I'm in high school and I suddenly realize I haven't been to a class all semester, or all year. The theme is recurring, but never exactly the same.

I have two recurring types of dreams that are similar to that.

One is a room filled with plants that I forgot about. Sometimes I happen upon the room and find it filled with green flourishing plants and I wonder why I forgot about them and am amazed at how well they're doing. Other times they're barely alive and I water them hoping they'll make it.

The other recurring dream is that I find all these rooms in my house that I had forgotten all about. Really cool rooms -- and they're furnished, nicely decorated. Sometimes there are whole floors with rooms that I forgot about. In my dream I'm like "wow, why did I forget about all this?"

Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,330,128 times
Being back at school is one of the recurring dream themes I have, and it's been 18 yrs. since I've been in school.
They tend to combine features of different types/grades/schools I attended, as well as blending/overlap of who I knew there (classmates, teachers).
Sometimes it's more about the academic side (missing classes), other times more about the social side (dorm-mates).

Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times
I am so glad someone brought this thread up. Thanks to the OP and everyone, because I have had these dreams since college, and that was a long time ago. And I have multiple college degreees, have graduate school credits, I have certifications, I do go back on occasion for CEUs but usually do them online.

Point is, I usually have the dream about being in HIGH SCHOOL and having a chance to graduate, but forgot which classes I take, or some similar situation to which many of us dream. HOWEVER due to some extunating circumstances, I never graduated from High School. I did have High SAT scores, and I applied to a local college and told them of the situation and they admitted me anyway, where I did well. After obtaining a Bachelor's degree, it seemed no one cared whether or not I ever did finish high school.

I have always wondered if these dreams were not some level of "unfinished business" for me, if I should go and get a GED just for grins, hang it next to my Master's degree.....

Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 AM

13,563 posts, read 15,485,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I have this dream every so often. I come back from school break and I forget my class schedule and as a result I forget to go to a class. I get to the end of the semester only to learn this, and that I obviously failed the class. I have had dreams where its been a high school teacher with people I've gone to high school with, and also I've had this dream where I am in college. Some dreams I dream that I am printing out my college credit/class list only to have a red mark of a class I missed. I wake up in panic, but then realize that in actuality, I have graduated college years ago and everything is just fine.

Why would I have this on my mind and why would I be dreaming about this, years later? Similar stories?
Holy ****, I have this same dream, basically. I'll forget I'm enrolled in a class and walk into the last lecture before finals to see the teacher and other class members for the first time. Or sometimes I'll skip that part altogether, to find myself cramming a whole semester's worth of info on the night before the final exam, wondering how I'm going to possibly pass.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,208,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For me it's usually some college class that I completely forgot about until I get my exam schedule or it's the end of the semester and I suddenly remembered it.
I've gotten those so many times too! It's funny how it's such a recurring theme for so many people. That realization that it's the end of the semester and I've completely forgotten to go to a class, and that now I won't be able to graduate because of it...

Quote:
Before I got pregnant, when I was just thinking about having kids, I would so often have this horrifying dream that I've had a baby - and then suddenly realize that it's been several days or a week and I forgot all about the baby!! That's it's been days and it hasn't been crying and I never fed it or changed its diaper... I'd know I need to go and check on it and then just get that sense of dread, and then wake up. It was really disturbing. Thankfully as I've realized soon after having my son, they're not gonna let you forget about them if they're hungry, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology