Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 AM

23,094 posts, read 28,820,339 times

Advertisements

What do you think? The psyche's/excuses of either one, are they similar?

I read this pondering saying some time ago, and it hasn't let go of me: Alcoholics and Workaholics wear the same clothes!

I work with enough workaholics, my Dad was one, and there seems to be a lot of this One more, One more type of thinking amongst this crowd. And they're surfeited with seemingly credible excuses as to why they work 2 jobs, 3 jobs, work double shifts, work 80-90 hours a week, never take a day off, even when they don't need the money!

IMO, it's easy for these people, in a Protestant work ethics country like ours, to slip under the radar screens of addiction. There's way too much support for their addictions. Wife may say: Well! At least he's not drinking!

But someone happily married to an alcoholic, you ever hear the wife say: Well, at least he's not over-working!?

IMO, it's all self-destructive behavior. One destroys his health with alcohol (or drugs) and the other with overworking.

What do you think? Comparing alcoholics you've known and workaholics you've known?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM

793 posts, read 1,327,502 times
Yes, there are some similarities. The connection is an addictive personality.

More, more, more. Go, go, go. Compulsion and perfectionism. I definately have these traits and I can get manic. The good thing is that I'm usually aware when I start to fall into this pattern.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,225,220 times
Well I always say there are those who build and fix things and those who destroy or break things.

I would place workaholics in the former category and alcoholics in the latter category.

So at least the workaholic is doing something positive, although excessive work could be quite a negative from the viewpoint of the person's family.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

4,459 posts, read 3,988,565 times
What I've noticed is most people who get higher degrees end up being abused and are forced to over work. My guess is because they've invested so much time and money in to college that they end up being more willing to do anything for the higher pay check. In response the employer's make them do as much as they can get them do to.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well I always say there are those who build and fix things and those who destroy or break things.

I would place workaholics in the former category and alcoholics in the latter category.

Which category would you put recovering alcoholics in?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,225,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post

Which category would you put recovering alcoholics in?
Well they are "fixing" something. Doing something positive. So the former category!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,795,429 times
Not really. Each one can cause health issues that lead to death or a warped life forever. However, a workaholic makes money and an alcocholic usually loses so much money and ends up destitute.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well they are "fixing" something. Doing something positive. So the former category!

Good answer.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Not really. Each one can cause health issues that lead to death or a warped life forever. However, a workaholic makes money and an alcocholic usually loses so much money and ends up destitute.
Errrr, it's just not that black and white.

Not all alcoholics end up desitute. Many of them also hold jobs for years and years. They drink for most of their lives and hide it very well. You probably come in contact with them every day and you don't even know it.

And there can definately be similiarities in the mindset of the workoholic and alcoholic... the compulsion, the desire to escape and the need to drive things into the ground.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,771,904 times
I don't think many people nowadays are workaholics.
Most of us who work 80 to 90 hrs a week must do so because of the economy.
So,people like me are forced to work 2 jobs. Its hard to save on one job,even if it pays great.
Trust me,if I didn't have to work 2 jobs,I wouldn't. But I live in a high cost state so...

Also,what kind of health problems can working 2 full time jobs?
I have researched that question for myself,and I have yet to find any info.
I think that if a person who works like that takes care of their health,they aren't at any increased risk than those who work normal hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology