Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM

377 posts, read 574,914 times

Advertisements

When a babyboomer who decided not to have children told me how wonderful babies were, I suggested that she get a dog and she would be the mom of a 2YO forever. She said "I can only stand them for 2 hours".

I never understood all the stuff about dogs all my life. Then at the age of 64, retired, all alone in the world, I decided it might be time to try it out. I'm a mommy of a 2YO for the rest of my life.

When I lived in a big detached home I had two dogs. I wasn't a good mommy. I favored one dog over the other, which I never did with my 3 kids. Not a good idea. Had an auto accident with crushed ankle and gave up my dogs. One came back to me because he was a biter. My vet saved him for me and it turned out that he helped me manage my wheel-chair to walker to unaided walking life. I had to take care of him. The other one it turned out, a very docile unspoiled dog (second class citizen) was adopted by a vet. Eventually my biter got diabetes which was too far gone and had to be euthanized. I feel I killed him with kindness which the vet had given up telling me. I loved him to death literally.

I was selling my home and rescued my current two year old forever son before I moved. Now in multiresidential living I can only have one two year old.

So all females can be mommies and repair the world. A good filter for childless females who coo and cluck over infants as if you are mean if you don't I think this is great psychology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,878,159 times
I had my first child at 28. Prior to that, I never wanted children. After both my parents died, I ended up in therapy briefly. In the brief taking of my history, she made an amazing comparison between two unrelated points. I had a childhood pet, a little peekapoo who lived to be 22 years old. I had to have her put to sleep a year before delivering my first child. That means I got pregnant within 3 months of my dog dying.

The therapist put two and two together and suggested that I never wanted children because my peekapoo completely filled that need in my life. You know what, she was right. Now that my children are fully grown and have moved out of the house, my new child is a 9 year old basset hound we have had for the past 7 years.

I'd never give a pet away though, and that was sort of unsettling to read in your post. If they were truly your emotional children, you wouldn't have sent them away even with a disability or moving to a new home. Parents don't get rid of their kids when they face hardships. So, that's my food for thought for you since you are comparing dogs to children and parenting.

The premise that owning a dog would teach the childless about parenting seems as if you didn't enjoy parenting or dog ownership much.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,258,200 times
I have two Labs and have to be very careful to give them equal attention or I get nasty looks from the one not getting as much attention!

As for acting as 2 year olds, one of them is a bit smarter than that. He is a thief! Not a "Labrador Retriever", rather he is a "Labrador Food Retriever" and "kitchen counter surfer"!

He patiently waits until I leave the house. He knows the difference between me just going outside for a moment vs leaving for a long time. When I leave for a long time, he strikes! He will put his paws up on kitchen counters or tables and snatch any food within reach. He has gobbled down entire loafs of bread, whole boxes of donuts, cookies, etc. I now keep these on top of the refrigerator.

I've caught 7 or 8 year old kids in the act of doing something they know they shouldn't - they did this while I was in the house. So the dog is smarter than that in that he waits for me to leave - or is more patient than the kids...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,217,420 times
I have two dogs, a seven year old beagle I rescued and a two year old two year old. He's shepard, terrier and I think gazelle, if the way he goes over the shorter fences is any measure. He's also very smart. The pet food container with the safety latch now has a heavy box on it. He watched and waited as I opened it and used his big mouth to gently unlatch it, leaving only teeth marks...

One of them knows how to open the frig. It has a child latch on it now. But he's my doorbell and security guard and box shreader. He snuggles too. My girl was abused and she gets a lot of patience, but she had vastly improved. My boy 'talks' especially when he's happy or wants attention. He also howls when excited. Don't know where that comes from.

He's tall enough with hugely long legs that counter surfing and sink surfing is easy. When cooking he and her and the kitties go somewhere else. Nobody ever touches something when I'm watching but just turn the other way...

He is a two year old, too, with all the bouncy energy. Just like his age, he resents the phone, and finds ways to get attention until I put it back down. Maybe I should try blue tooth again. He's the first big dog I've ever had, thought when I got him as a puppy he didn't show it. I also have some cats, and he loves them too. When he get up everyone gets their morning lick including the cats, and he's observed them do daily baths, so when they are licking he does his own. It's not unusual to see he and his kitties all asleep in the easy chair together, usually at least one on top of him. My girl is more stand offish, but she has her kitty friends too.

My human kid is 21 and I'm very glad to have furry kids around. I wish my girl wasn't so hesitant but she's light years better than she was, and the two of them are pals. After I lost the dog who came with me when I moved from old age, it was so lonely. Now there is never a dull moment.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The premise that owning a dog would teach the childless about parenting seems as if you didn't enjoy parenting or dog ownership much.
Your premise about me is that I have a public profile and you hide yours.
Which shows how this subject particularly is useful in psychology

Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 AM

Last year decided to refresh basic dog training. I was shocked. They now train with clicker and treats. Baruch (Spinoza) already does know basic commands so he could do it by voice and gesture. He learned first when I rescued him by putting him in a kennel for overnight training period. I did this with all three dogs. As late as 2004, I only knew about choker chain training for pups.

What happened in 2012 was that it trained me to be a better mom. This new training is so much more fun. A case where my 2YO is smarter than me and trained me. We are in sync now. The vet told me when I asked if the environmental noises that bother me bother him. He said probably not. He added that Baruch is probably giving me feedback to my own psyche though. When I don't feel good, he doesn't.

When I got my first dog who was born on my birthday and was 7 weeks old, by the time he was two years old he was like my son, my first born, because my son refused to talk. Long story about that. Turns out he thought pictures were better communications than words. So I got used to grunts and whines and hand communications with him.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,878,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
Your premise about me is that I have a public profile and you hide yours.
Which shows how this subject particularly is useful in psychology
This post is entirely illogical. Our profiles aren't my premise. I don't even have a premise in this thread.

I merely drew a different conclusion from your premise. It seems you don't know what premise means.

But if you want to see my profile, all you have to do is ask. It doesn't say anything.

I'm not "into" filling out profiles on forums, and I rarely look at other people's profiles.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,244,348 times
I don't know about "premises" macnietspingal, but I do have a couple of big dogs, and mine sure are smarter than any 2 year olds......never the less..... I'm glad you have company and will love your dog (and he/she you) for the rest of your lives, pets really can brighten our lives.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM

2,807 posts, read 6,417,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
When a babyboomer who decided not to have children told me how wonderful babies were, I suggested that she get a dog and she would be the mom of a 2YO forever. She said "I can only stand them for 2 hours".

I never understood all the stuff about dogs all my life. Then at the age of 64, retired, all alone in the world, I decided it might be time to try it out. I'm a mommy of a 2YO for the rest of my life.

When I lived in a big detached home I had two dogs. I wasn't a good mommy. I favored one dog over the other, which I never did with my 3 kids. Not a good idea. Had an auto accident with crushed ankle and gave up my dogs. One came back to me because he was a biter. My vet saved him for me and it turned out that he helped me manage my wheel-chair to walker to unaided walking life. I had to take care of him. The other one it turned out, a very docile unspoiled dog (second class citizen) was adopted by a vet. Eventually my biter got diabetes which was too far gone and had to be euthanized. I feel I killed him with kindness which the vet had given up telling me. I loved him to death literally.

I was selling my home and rescued my current two year old forever son before I moved. Now in multiresidential living I can only have one two year old.

So all females can be mommies and repair the world. A good filter for childless females who coo and cluck over infants as if you are mean if you don't I think this is great psychology
That's what's creepy about it. There's nothing more pathetic than seeing a woman kiss her dog on the lips or call her cats "my babies".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology