Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

I have never been obsessed with or worried about death very much. I think it's normal for it to cross one's mind occasionally, since after all, it's an appointment we are ALL going to keep. I think it's responsible to have a will and final wishes, a living will, etc. legally drawn up and in place and I've kept mine updated since I was in my late twenties. I even have funeral ideas in there, but not because it's some sort of fantasy of mine, but because I think that may be helpful to my survivors during a stressful time.

Now that I'm in my fifties, I think about the inevitable more often than I did when I was younger but once again, I don't dwell on it. It's more a matter of curiosity to me since I'm reaching an age where friends and the parents of friends are experiencing health crises and even death more often. I'm more interested in eating well and exercising more, and avoiding unhealthy lifestyle choices.

I'm a lot more concerned about the skin that's starting to sag a bit under my chin than I am about actual death!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think about 4 or 5 years old.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'll be 60 in 9 months. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Or are you one of those people who stereotype older people? Frankly I am fed up with that type of attitude and it's the main reason I am so down right now.
I've had this thrown in my face and have been disrespected several times in recent years, especially recently. The stories are too long to go into.

I still have a lot of energy, go on 1.5 mile brisk walks 5 days a week, and NOTHING is breaking down.

I never had children so no "grandparent stage" for me. I like to go out and see live music in clubs, attend sporting events, and I feel I am up to working until at least 70.
That cracks me up when youngish people have this bizarre idea of 60-year-olds as hunchbacked, wizened, arthritic geezers and geezettes who can barely feed themselves anymore. Don't they actually KNOW anyone that age?

Hey re the music--my daughter was trying to get me to go with her to the Firefly music festival in Delaware this past week because her friend couldn't go (she went alone in the end and met new friends there). I couldn't go because of work, and I figured I was "too old" for the festival anyway, but I went on the website message board and there's a whole thread for people over 50 going to Firefly. Maybe next year I will!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Hmm, I thought I'd posted in this thread before and answered the title question.

I started thinking of my own death at six, when a cousin my own age died. Until I was in my forties and it occurred to me that not everyone did this, my first thought upon awakening each day was, "Is this going to be the day that I die?" I'd developed some weird death-related obsessions and intrusive thoughts over the years since I was a kid. Would take a lot of pages to explain that.

Anyway, what made me finally stop thinking of my own death all the time was coming close to it. September 11, 2001, One WTC. There was a short period of time that day when it seemed very possible that I was facing the moment of my death. Hundreds of people died very close to where I was, but I didn't go through the door that day even though I felt it open next to me. Someday I will, and I am not really afraid anymore. As I get older, it's not that I want to die, but there is an accumulation of the knowledge of so much sadness and wrong in this world, and when the time comes, it might just be a relief to leave it all behind.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
For me it was sometime around age 5, probably because that's about when all four of my grandparents died. I didn't want to accept that one day I'd die, so I convinced myself that I wasn't like everyone else, and that I'd live forever. That was fairly brief. I didn't think much about dying again until around age 45 when my doctor told me I wasn't likely to survive from a brain tumor I'd developed. I wrote letters to my wife and each of my kids before my surgery, got my life insurance policies in order, etc. Then survived. That was okay.

My late wife told me one night that she was afraid of dying young. Her parents had both died fairly young. She was 50 or 51 at the time. She died at age 51.

On the other hand, my dad told me at around age 80 that he wasn't worried at all about dying. He said he was old enough and ready. He died just before his 90th birthday.

It bothered me when I turned 60, not because I was afraid of dying, but because I'd always considered 60 the beginning of old age. I'm 68 now, and I still consider 60 the beginning of old age. Ten years ago I could still hike or climb some pretty steep mountains. Now I wouldn't consider it. I'm still not ready to kick the bucket, but I don't worry about it except that I don't want to make my wife a widow. I've been there and don't wish it on anyone.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
Having a Near Death Experience (NDE)

I believe the soul goes to another plane of existence and continues their journey. Earth Plane is one part of it.

I feel the soul doesn't leave Earth until their work, lessons, etc. is complete.

Every soul needs to make peace within every day.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
When I was young (from 0 to 30) death was just an abstract word like love, hate, or friendship. Yes, I knew death was there, we all gonna die and that stuff but I didn´t feel it as part of my life it was so distant, I didn´t pay much attention to the fact that we are here for a while.

My first contact with the death of a loved one was my grandfather when I was 6. I was too little to understand it, then my grandmother died when I was 20, but I lived the whole thing in a theoretical way, feeling what I thought I was supposed to feel, but not really feeling deep inside the weight of human death.

But it all changed when I turned 30. Dono exactly why, but I started to feel the presence of death.I surprised myself thinking about infinite. Infinte joy in Heaven, infinite pain in Hell, infinite nothingness in a black void, infinit reincarnations in infinite new lives.

Maybe God exists, maybe not. But one way or another, death will knock on our doors some day, and "something" will happen, whether we like it or not.

All this started filling my head in my early 30s, and it's been a recurrent subject in my mind since then. (I am 35 now).

I had a few anxiety attacks. I remember the past summer, I was walking into a mall and started looking at people.Old folk, children, women...dogs, cats, flies, flowers every single living creature some day will be gone "all this people walking by will die, I am walking around future death people,and so am I" and I felt so bad I had to walk out to the street and breath some air, almost fainted.

I guess being aware of death makes you value more life. Now I use my time more wisely than in my 20s, but at the same time I lived much more carefree in my 20s, so sometimes I miss those days.

I wonder at what age did you start worrying about death? (if you worry about death at all) Did that make you change your behavior, your priorities, your attitude?
At 16. I read a book about a teen who died from a brain tumor and voila! All of a sudden the headaches I'd been having seemed much more serious. I began to self-diagnose and figured I was going to die soon, so I began to write a memoir.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Never. Right now I do not care, not sure if I ever did. I'm not enjoying this, so...
Are you pretty young?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
many worry about it when they get old and sick. what they need to do is focus on living. if they understand that better. the old and sick scenario does not happen or not in the tragic sense that you are sharing.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 499 times
To be honest I think it can happen any point in your life. i was only 12 when it happened. I cried and i was up all night. Life is too short to worry about these things. But this is what calms me down. Consider the big chance of an afterlife.80% of people think there is an afterlife, the majority. I just sat down drank some tea and i thought about all the years ahead of me. Be optimistic about it and don't be afraid to talk to someone if you have an anxiety attack. Just calm down, try to think about right now not the future.Hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology