Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times

Advertisements

I interact regularly in a work setting with people who perpetually fabricate and outright lie about situations and conversations. It doesn't matter what the topic is, they make things up when responding, or just twist and fabricate the facts. It's almost as if they live in a fantasy world of their own creation, and I often wonder if they are conscious of it, or if it represents some kind of disorder. These are otherwise "normal" people who hold down jobs and seem to function in a reasonable manner (not outwardly crazy).

Much of the time they seem to be on the defensive, and if they are confronted with the obvious contradictions (you said xyz yesterday and now you are saying abc, or how can xyz be true since I just checked and it isn't) they deny saying the original statement. It's really amazing. Kind of like a used car salesman who says whatever they want to "make the sale" even if it's a distortion of facts or an outright lie, except the people I'm involved with aren't selling anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
That seems strange that there would be more than one person at your workplace like this.

btw, there was a thread on this topic a few months ago, titled something like: "Factitious disorder".
The psychology of lying/factitious disorder

Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My husband changed careers out of necessity and his new job required him to work with a trainer for a month or so. The first week he really enjoyed the guy, but then DH started to realize that the trainer was a total fake, and a real psycho.
The man would do nothing but spin yarns all day. The atmosphere got rather hostile when my husband had trouble hiding the fact he was not buying into the lies.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
I once knew a sociopath who was like that. He would lie when there was no logical reason to do so. But he was the one oddball out of many regular people.

So seems strange many people all in one place would be like that? However quite a few young people these days can't think on their own. They follow the "group". (Sheep.) Perhaps the leader of the "flock" is a sociopath and the rest are following along?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the comments! Lots to think about.

Last edited by xz2y; 01-28-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I once knew a sociopath who was like that. He would lie when there was no logical reason to do so. But he was the one oddball out of many regular people.

So seems strange many people all in one place would be like that? However quite a few young people these days can't think on their own. They follow the "group". (Sheep.) Perhaps the leader of the "flock" is a sociopath and the rest are following along?
Interesting perspective.

Last edited by xz2y; 01-28-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,622 times
Probably relates to shame and saving face.

I like to call that behavior "coward".

Anyone with the audacity to not own up to their own mistakes, to me, probably lives a pretty sad and pathetic life. No potential for personal growth when one constantly lives in denial.

I guess that's my way of explaining that kind of behavior, and perhaps build some kind of compassion for those who don't seem to have the backbone to be real even to themselves. Sad.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Here are some insights about pathological liars: https://www.achievesolutions.net/ach...contentId=9704
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology