Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,635,127 times

Advertisements

This story proves that some sort of mental test should be part of the vetting process to own guns. People like this are bad news for all gun owners.

Father Points AK-47 at Daughter for School Grades - YouTube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,914,914 times
Yes, because this happens all the time. The fact that it made the news proves that stuff like this rarely happens.

How would this mental test work?

Hello Mr. Potential Gun Purchaser. Are you planning on going to shoot up a school or some other public location? Are you mentally unstable?

How did you guess?

Any sort of "mental test" would turn invariably devolve into questions about adherence to politically correct principles. Obama already wants doctors to ask patients about gun ownership, so questioning people about their political and ideological values to test "mental health" is not that far-fetched.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,128,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
This story proves that some sort of mental test should be part of the vetting process to own guns. People like this are bad news for all gun owners.
If not an AK....maybe it would have been a shotgun....or perhaps a knife or a hammer from his tool box.

Where do you get off suggesting you have the answers to this? Or that government can protect us from every nut job that decides to do harm to someone?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

109 posts, read 277,073 times
^ true that ^

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,635,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If not an AK....maybe it would have been a shotgun....or perhaps a knife or a hammer from his tool box.

Where do you get off suggesting you have the answers to this? Or that government can protect us from every nut job that decides to do harm to someone?
Yes, any other gun could be used but it''s not the gun it's the mentally ill father that is the topic.

OBTW, your post is very rude for no reason.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM

109 posts, read 277,073 times
If we could chunk every nut of the world into the ocean, we then could trek the globe and never even get you shoes wet.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,128,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Yes, any other gun could be used but it''s not the gun it's the mentally ill father that is the topic.

OBTW, your post is very rude for no reason.
I'm sorry....it struck me wrong. I'm sick of the anti-gun zealots telling us that we're evil for owning a gun.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,966,655 times
The family who plays with ak-47s together stays together. He's just a motivated dad.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 PM

823 posts, read 1,966,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I agree, you don´t need much to kill another human being, anyone can do it with his/her bare hands.

But things are different when we talk about many human beings. You can kill one, two, perhaps 3 random people in a school using a knife before being reduced.Or the people could run away and only a few would be at knife reach.

But with a firearm you can kill as many people you want. You just have to load and pull a trigger. 1000 bullets equals 1000 deaths, if the shooter doen´t miss any target. I think they call it "mass murder".

Now, why should any common citizen feel entitled to own a mass murder weapon at home? Why should any common citizen feel entitled to play God?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM

416 posts, read 629,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
But with a firearm you can kill as many people you want. You just have to load and pull a trigger. 1000 bullets equals 1000 deaths, if the shooter doen´t miss any target. I think they call it "mass murder".
No you can't kill as many people as you want. It's largely circumstantial. I'm guessing you have no idea what 1000 bullets look like otherwise you wouldn't bother with such an exaggeration, carrying so many bullets is impractical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Now, why should any common citizen feel entitled to own a mass murder weapon at home? Why should any common citizen feel entitled to play God?
Why should the government? Why should a group(gangs, rioting mobs, swat teams, armies) of people get to go around playing God? Why should I be handicapped in defending my life and my family from a group of people that think they can play God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology