Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 AM

341 posts, read 684,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
Because we (blacks) have been under the system of white supremacy and it instills self hatred at an early age. The quote which you used to counter ormy quote is much different, being that it is a policy used to keep a people under a more overt form of supremacy and relinquishing the power in a society based on elective politics based on no merit except that of overt form of white supremacy.
So, your racism is ok, but another's racism is not?

Last I checked, a person's skills in medicine is not determined by the color of their skin. Essentially, you are declaring "Black Supremacy" in a particular field of medicine.

How is that not racism?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quite interesting. Certainly not against this, although it will pose many challenges as Africans and African descendants are so diverse in terms of culture, religion, class etc.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Racism is racism. Should it be white racism towards blacks, or black racism towards whites. And their both racism towards Asians, and all three racism towards say Latinos, and so on.
I can only say, that there are not any "Africans", outside those that came here on the last African wave of immigration, in the USA. You have black, dark, light Americans of negroid race, or phenotype, with same culture and upbringing, as white, whiter, etc, Americans. Few of those that celebrate Quanza do not automatically become Africans. I know white kid that has a stunning Afro hair, does not make him African. Makes him chick magnet, that it does.
There is one human race. That talk about "negroid race" and general European racial theory is the first thing that needs to go out the window...and fast.

Further, why are you telling others whether or not they are African? Yet you can speak about Asians, when some of them have been in this nation for generations. African descendants should feel free to identify with their continent of origin just as Asians and their descendant do.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
How can you compare sexual orientation to an actual race? . You like to twist concepts that I propose to black people as racist, when in fact it is the exact opposite, you can't have world peace with a group of people, and entire race of people, stricken with self-hate, you can't get help from the people who perpetuate this system either. This isn't about being special as you put it, it is about uprooting the seeds of self-hate through the vehicle of self.

What you're preaching is the new "We are one" rhetoric I keep hearing but it's not true in theory, practice or reality.
Nobody's ''twisting'' anything here, and I'm simply replying to you at face value... since you claim the issue is basically ''psychological'' (aka, repairing low self-esteem, albeit race-based) .... is that correct? And if so, then self-hate is still self-hate, which is not unique to blacks, regardless the reasons (sexual orientation, race, colonialism, white hegemony, whatever). Although I can see the usefulness of dealing with a therapist having a black cultural perspective (though which culture... American, Caribbean, South African, what...)?

But you still never answered the basic question, which is how how do you improve anyone's self-esteem (black, white, gay, straight, whatever), by reinforcing their sense of ''otherness'', which only increases their already profound sense of alienation?! And BTW, lotsa luck with that kinda attitude in Sub-Saharan Africa, the very birthplace of tribalism, where unlike in western culture, ''specialness'' and individual identity are still pretty low priorities!

In fact isn't that why Garveyism failed to begin with, for assuming that black racial identity was more important than cultural identity?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
There is one human race. That talk about "negroid race" and general European racial theory is the first thing that needs to go out the window...and fast.

Further, why are you telling others whether or not they are African? Yet you can speak about Asians, when some of them have been in this nation for generations. African descendants should feel free to identify with their continent of origin just as Asians and their descendant do.
Everyone on this planet is a decendant of Africa, even people that say their decendants are from Asia.

The only difference is how far are you removed from Africa? 10 years, 500 years, etc.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 01-31-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Everyone on this planet is a decendant of Africa, even people that say their decendants are from Asia.

The only difference is how for are you removed from Africa? 10 years, 500 years, etc.
Yes, we know that...so if people want to identify with the continent then, then fine. But to be honest, Africans of all different cultures/religions did not become "black" until certain European scientists decided to blanket diverse peoples by color. People in Africa were not running around talking about their "black" brother and sisters. They had and still identify with their particular ethnic groups.

ETA: Check out this facebook page. This is interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/DontCallMeBlack

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 01-31-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM

341 posts, read 684,188 times
Quote:
Yes, we know that...so if people want to identify with the continent then, then fine. But to be honest, Africans of all different cultures/religions did not become "black" until certain European scientists decided to blanket diverse peoples by color. People in Africa were not running around talking about their "black" brother and sisters. They had and still identify with their particular ethnic groups.

It gets even more interesting when people realize there are WHITE Africans lol

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:

True, people in general are a tribal bunch; Whether that is by Continent, Country, Nationality, Race, Ethnic group etc. I know you don't care for the racial designation of Black from your posts and would prefer country designation as being most accurate for people who know exactly where they are from? Correct me if I am wrong.

For me I'm comfortable with the White designation even though my Lineage isn't 100% European. The Popularity of Black designation seems to be common amongst my group of friends and coworkers that maybe a few years ago may have said AA. If my coworker is from Overseas they will typically say their country of origin whether it is Africa, Europe or Asia. Lately, many people I know that have mixed heritage of all the common groups have been saying what their combination is. From my perspective I'll leave it up to the individual to let me know what they want to be called if anything at all. If Obama wants to be called Black or AA, mixed, colored or referring to his Black half or white half I'm good with it. His call, not mine. Sorry, I digress, back to the topic.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
It gets even more interesting when people realize there are WHITE Africans lol
Seriously though, people should know by now that there are "white"/European descended Africans. LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
True, people in general are a tribal bunch; Whether that is by Continent, Country, Nationality, Race, Ethnic group etc. I know you don't care for the racial designation of Black from your posts and would prefer country designation as being most accurate for people who know exactly where they are from? Correct me if I am wrong.

For me I'm comfortable with the White designation even though my Lineage isn't 100% European. The Popularity of Black designation seems to be common amongst my group of friends and coworkers that maybe a few years ago may have said AA. If my coworker is from Overseas they will typically say their country of origin whether it is Africa, Europe or Asia. Lately, many people I know that have mixed heritage of all the common groups have been saying what their combination is. From my perspective I'll leave it up to the individual to let me know what they want to be called if anything at all. If Obama wants to be called Black or AA, mixed, colored or referring to his Black half or white half I'm good with it. His call, not mine. Sorry, I digress, back to the topic.
It's about more than tribalism. Certain groups have over time been forced to abandon their cultural/ethnic designations for a color, especially in the U.S. For "whites," it is far less of an issue because it is Europeans themselves who chose those labels for their own groups and perpetuated them.

It is true that the majority of people of African descent, particularly in the U.S., prefer the term "black." That has been ingrained since the first arrival of enslaved Africans and the stripping of their African ethnicities, languages, cultures etc. The term itself can be seen as a representation of the disconnect, as is negative attitude toward the African continent that many hold. Yet can someone find "black" on the map? And when young people remark that they feel they don't have much history other than slavery, what do people expect when even their ethnic identifier began there?

Among recent Africans, the association with the term is mixed. Diversity/variation among people of African origin is not acknowledged or welcomed, especially in the U.S. Among other stories, I've listened to a mother's experience with a school teacher who graded her daughter's "heritage paper" low, because since she "looked black" to her, she was supposed write a black (read African-American) story. Of course, the child originates elsewhere. In the states, one of African descent is expected to conform to a color or one specific ethnic identity. Neither the Asian or the Hispanic is expected to do such and their ethnic groups are recognized, even on the census.

Beyond my country of descent, I refer to my heritages specifically. Why would one be a region/country and the other color? I refer to actual places where my heritages can be found.

But like you said, self-identification is really important. So if Obama feels he is AA, great! If a Romanian says he is not white or a Ethiopian says they are not black. That's fine with me too.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 01-31-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology