U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,021,191 times

Advertisements

I'm 61. There you go, now feel good about turning 20. Look at the adventure to have in front of you. Career, family, everything is wide open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,353 posts, read 48,210,514 times
Good grief, if you are having trouble with 20, wait until you hit 40 or 60. In most states you can't even drink for another year, you can do anything you want, with your whole life ahead of you.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,421,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
Hi everyone i will be turning twenty on sunday, and while i am very excited i am also scared out of my mind. It finally hit me today that woah im no longer a teenager, and that i am in my twenties! It is really depressing i just had the biggest reality check that i am no longer a child, or have any sort of childhood left. I am an adult now. Its not that i am not capable of having adult responsibilities i go to school, and hold a job its just extremely scary to me that i feel like the best days of my life are behind me. I will never be able to get my teens back, and it seems as though they flew by so quickly. Did anyone else feel this way when they turned a milestone age such as this? Just curious
Not really. I always felt mentally older than my chronological age, so it seemed I suppose that my actual age was always lagging behind what I felt I was in my mind. I'm 32 now and 30 didn't even phase me. Maybe 40 will. If I get there.

To be absolutely truthful I enjoy being in my thirties more than I did in my twenties. Perhaps it is because I look so young, and I get tired of people thinking I just got out of high school. I know I should be thankful for it, and in one sense I am, but isn't the grass always greener.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM

122 posts, read 119,067 times
I think it's pretty normal to get scared and depressed especially because you are expected to take care of yourself from now on. You're still young, don't worry about it too much. What' important is you have your goals for now and just enjoy doing everything you do. You don't have to worry about family yet so enjoy your youth.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
Hi everyone i will be turning twenty on sunday, and while i am very excited i am also scared out of my mind. It finally hit me today that woah im no longer a teenager, and that i am in my twenties! It is really depressing i just had the biggest reality check that i am no longer a child, or have any sort of childhood left. I am an adult now. Its not that i am not capable of having adult responsibilities i go to school, and hold a job its just extremely scary to me that i feel like the best days of my life are behind me. I will never be able to get my teens back, and it seems as though they flew by so quickly. Did anyone else feel this way when they turned a milestone age such as this? Just curious
I guess I never felt anything like that at 20 because my childhood was pretty rough and I had to become an adult at an early age, but around the time I hit 31, 32, 33 I felt depressed as I look at all the people in my age range who've accomplished things like having kids, getting married, buying houses ect and I have none of that yet. I feel my time is short to start my life now as I will be 35 in a few months. I've had so many obstacles and financial struggles that I really never had the opportunity to live 'normal' like most people my age. I have began to realize that there is no normal as I meet people that are also similar to me in my age range. One piece of advice for you as you get older. Don't wait to accomplish anything you feel you want to pursue. Also never beleive what society says about success. Create your own goals regardless of what society says about it, and when you achieve those things even if they are small then you will truly be successful. Lots of people follow the American model of success and end up depressed as they realize they wasted lots of time and energy to live up to what people around them lived up to and called success. Don't do what they do.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM

16,487 posts, read 19,847,490 times
You are getting to the best years of your life. I would never go back to my teens even if I could. I will tell you though that time seems to pass more quickly the older you get, so don't waste your time on needlessly, enjoy your life, you are still very young. Also, Happy Birthday!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 PM

11,231 posts, read 15,977,341 times
I dreaded it too. It felt weird at first, but nothing's changed, I'm still the same person I was last year.

I never got the whole "omg you're turning 16/18/20/21" thing, as if you're about to undergo some sort of transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or