U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 3,937,256 times
Reputation: 1093

Advertisements

I came across a Holocaust denier the other day.

Now, to his credit, I suppose I would have to admit that I've never personally 'seen' any direct evidence.

but this is the delusional logic that the Christians often say for the existence of Jesus - ie: 'you weren't there 2000 yrs ago so how can you say it isn't true'.

is this what it's all about then?

ie: wanting to glorify the Nazi ideology so much, as a form of God, that all the negativity must be washed away - with a simple denial.

seems a little absurd, especially considering there is a ton of evidence.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
 
921 posts, read 1,684,421 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I came across a Holocaust denier the other day.

Now, to his credit, I suppose I would have to admit that I've never personally 'seen' any direct evidence.

but this is the delusional logic that the Christians often say for the existence of Jesus - ie: 'you weren't there 2000 yrs ago so how can you say it isn't true'.

is this what it's all about then?

ie: wanting to glorify the Nazi ideology so much, as a form of God, that all the negativity must be washed away - with a simple denial.

seems a little absurd, especially considering there is a ton of evidence.

thoughts?
That sword cuts both ways, though: No Christian alive today was alive 2000 years ago, so how can they say that it IS true? The Christians who say this are trying to argue from ignorance. And it doesn't really work.

I also think it's important to distinguish between people who deny the Holocaust for purely political purposes, like Iran's Ahmedinijad, from those who are convinced in the face of evidence and eyewitness testimony that it never happened. Ahmedinijad's attempts to deny the Holocaust, to me, seem less like his true beliefs and more like pandering to folks in the Middle East who hate Israel.

What you're talking about, though, is how someone can stare evidence and eyewitness testimony in the face and still not see it. The only thing that comes to mind is that they have some strong need to distort reality and ignore evidence. What could create that need depends on the person doing the denying. And that's a pretty mixed bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
 
9,209 posts, read 17,872,526 times
Reputation: 21936
Agree. The countries, people, and political groups who are based on anti-Semitism (like the KKK, Neo-Nazis, modern Nazi parties, Islamist terror groups, militant Muslim nations) deny the Holocaust for their own reasons, to further their agendas.

But there are some odd people who deny it, despite all the historical evidence. They can't even use the "it was so long ago" claim, because some have been denying it even at the start, saying photos were faked, etc. These tend to be the same conspiracy theorists who believe:
--The US collaborated in the attack on Pearl Harbor
--The US never landed men on the moon
--The US government planned and carried out the 9-11 attacks
--the Sandy hook massacre didn't really happen

Some of this denial is based on their (twisted) political beliefs, some based on simple craziness/delusion, some based on attention-seeking, and some might be classic denial---meaning when faced with something too horrific to accept, they deny the reality of it (I don't get how that one would apply to the moon landing deniers though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
 
802 posts, read 896,426 times
Reputation: 308
Cross-reference data and you'll see those numbers were not in the million of "Jews" but people as in other ethnicities and races and religions. Also from what I've uncovered is that Hitler was going against the World Bank and IMF so they had a reason to pump much propaganda of him as as well as go after him, though I'm not praising nor accepting Hitler or his ideologies. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
9,999 posts, read 17,984,099 times
Reputation: 9529
People deny the Holocaust because they hate Jews. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM
 
118 posts, read 171,091 times
Reputation: 163
There are a couple of reasons to denounce the "Holocaust" with a capital H.

The first is the meaning of the word holocaust has religious significance. Holocaust- A sacrificial offering that is consumed entirely by flames. This suggests that there was a purpose for this meaningless crime.

Second it causes people to treat the jewish people of today as victims. Victims generally feel that revenge is justified and can result in heinous crimes being committed against others.

This was a genocide and should be referred to as such, Holocaust is an inappropriate name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 3,937,256 times
Reputation: 1093
thanks for all the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Cross-reference data and you'll see those numbers were not in the million of "Jews" but people as in other ethnicities and races and religions. Also from what I've uncovered is that Hitler was going against the World Bank and IMF so they had a reason to pump much propaganda of him as as well as go after him, though I'm not praising nor accepting Hitler or his ideologies. Just saying.
good comment, and I'm sure the numbers could be challenged, but not the Holocaust itself.

In the past read a lot about Pol Pot and Cambodia, and tales of genocide being up to 3 million.

this I believe to be propaganda though, because having lived here for 5 years, and doing some digging it seems to be the consensus that this figure was much lower (total of around 500, 000 people murdered)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
6,660 posts, read 11,577,828 times
Reputation: 19077
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Cross-reference data and you'll see those numbers were not in the million of "Jews" but people as in other ethnicities and races and religions. Also from what I've uncovered is that Hitler was going against the World Bank and IMF so they had a reason to pump much propaganda of him as as well as go after him, though I'm not praising nor accepting Hitler or his ideologies. Just saying.
NOT in the millions of Jews? Are you using Stormfront "references"? Where exactly are you getting your "data"?

You sound like a Holocaust denier yourself. Just saying.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 02-15-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
 
519 posts, read 886,425 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
People deny the Holocaust because they hate Jews. Simple.
Yes, denying it is furthering the abuse.

Holocaust deniers are really horrid and sick people. My country (Australia) doesn't allow them entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
 
921 posts, read 1,684,421 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Cross-reference data and you'll see those numbers were not in the million of "Jews" but people as in other ethnicities and races and religions. Also from what I've uncovered is that Hitler was going against the World Bank and IMF so they had a reason to pump much propaganda of him as as well as go after him, though I'm not praising nor accepting Hitler or his ideologies. Just saying.
The IMF and World Bank both came out of the Bretton Woods Conference in 1944 and weren't founded until 1944/1945. The Holocaust was in full swing long before then. So how could Hitler have been going against the IMF and World Bank in, say, 1943 when they didn't even exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top