Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times

Advertisements

So, I wonder if you all might be able to relate to this.

I did something recently that was extremely stupid. The truth is, I didn't care enough at the time to pay it the proper attention it needed. I've been beating myself up over it the last couple of days...

Anyway, to get my mind off of it, I've been 'losing myself' in the life of others....if that makes sense. If you focus your mind on the other, you can escape your self for awhile. I thought it'd be better than what I was doing...

During this, I couldn't help but think that the people "weren't that smart". It's funny, seeing as the whole reason why I was even paying others attention was to get away from my stupid for awhile.

So, my question is, if I'm perceiving someone as stupid, probably because I felt stupid, does it follow that their stupidity wasn't actual? To what extent?

Put another way...how much does projection color your perception of another? An amount impossible to overcome (you only ever perceive in another what you are already) or hardly (only in certain situations will that be true, in the vast majority of cases what you perceive as being actual in another is actual)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM

192 posts, read 348,422 times
"stupid is what stupid does" -Forrest Gump

Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
YOUR perception "colors" EVERYTHING. Entire reality is nothing more but a "colored" projections of humans, the way they perceive it.
Your "justifier" mind instantly catered a perception scheme for you, to justify your stupidity and to make you "feel better". That's the way it is.
And yes, most people are not that swooft either. But there is no good reason to pasture off that. What goes around...

Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
YOUR perception "colors" EVERYTHING. Entire reality is nothing more but a "colored" projections of humans, the way they perceive it.
Your "justifier" mind instantly catered a perception scheme for you, to justify your stupidity and to make you "feel better". That's the way it is.
And yes, most people are not that swooft either. But there is no good reason to pasture off that. What goes around...
That sounds very thought out but I've done something very stupid recently, on this forum in fact, and I've felt so terribly guilty about it - it even churns my stomach. (I called some poor fella bitter without knowing the whole story, dumb me.) Yet I haven't been perceiving others as stupid since then. Maybe there needs to be more variables added to the equation, i.e. one's own self-esteem, instead of a blanket diagnoses because I don't fit into this diagnoses. However, if the OP already feels as if he was projecting than he probably was or maybe they were really stupid. They're sure out there, take me for example – har har. But seriously there really are some very dumb humans on this planet.
And I wanted to add that I loved that Ukrkoz used the past tense of the word swift - I saw your subtle addition of humor there and enjoyed. I say the same thing myself. I don't say swift, I say swooft.

Last edited by GINGERSNAP1963; 02-18-2013 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: added something at the end

Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times
It take some careful analysis to determine if someone is stupid. I wouldn't say a few posts on an online forum are enough to make that determination. Sometimes people say something that they don't put a lot of thought into. Sometimes people say something that is misinterpreted. Sometimes people are being facetious. Sometimes people who are smart in other matters post something not-so-smart on a matter they haven't studied.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I once did home care on someone who used the words stupid continually, to describe just about everyone.

And this brilliant, gifted man died of a heroin overdose!

The most treasured saying of all times: What we hate the most in others, we see so much of in ourseles!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The most treasured saying of all times: What we hate the most in others, we see so much of in ourseles!
I've found this to be true in ways that still shock me.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
"Stupid" is, overall, a term that I would like to see expunged from the dictionary.... it also has no place among the vocabulary of mature adults... it is a meaningless term used by the shallow of mind to describe behaviours/actions for which their volition they do not understand.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM

132 posts, read 188,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
"Stupid" is, overall, a term that I would like to see expunged from the dictionary.... it also has no place among the vocabulary of mature adults... it is a meaningless term used by the shallow of mind to describe behaviours/actions for which their volition they do not understand.
If you worked for my boss you would easily take back that thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology