U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,079,621 times

Advertisements

I like my middle and last name. My first name is sort of bookish sounding so I go by my middle name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,075,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I like my name. It is very common. My first name is one of the most popular names for girls in the 70-80s. My last name is also a color and very popular last name. It's very easy and no need to correct anyone or spell it out. Having a unique name is okay sometimes but I like when someone searches my name online there are 4,000 others in the country.

How Many of Me
I think that database is wrong. My name is far more common. They say 124 but Linkedin shows 180 profiles in the US. And not everybody has a Linkedin profile, especially those who share my name, many who are retired already.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 AM

16,462 posts, read 19,996,430 times
I have this book: Use Astrology To Change Your Name.

Interesting! My mother named me Michael, in real life, and according to this book, it has connotations of Aries, which is my Sun sign. My middle name is John, a Piscean name. My nickname Mike, interestingly enough, also has Piscean connotations.

I've struggled all my life with my Sun-Neptune opposition in my chart, where I can swing, on a dime, from displaying either Pisces or Aries behavior.

Some people go all but bonkers if you don't call them by their nickname or real name, but in my case, you can call me Mike or Michael, I like them both!

Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 PM

11,828 posts, read 9,827,294 times
I like my name a lot now but didn't used to when I was younger-Daniel Francis.

Some people call me "Dan" and I don't mind-sometimes I'll even introduce myself as Dan but my family and close friends call me Daniel.

In high school I was called by my last name mostly and in College I was often called "Philly" as there were so many Dans in my group of friends and nobody else from Philly.

Pretty interesting that I have had so many different names when I think about it haha-Daniel will always be what I respond to most though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have this book: Use Astrology To Change Your Name.

Interesting! My mother named me Michael, in real life, and according to this book, it has connotations of Aries, which is my Sun sign. My middle name is John, a Piscean name. My nickname Mike, interestingly enough, also has Piscean connotations.

I've struggled all my life with my Sun-Neptune opposition in my chart, where I can swing, on a dime, from displaying either Pisces or Aries behavior.

Some people go all but bonkers if you don't call them by their nickname or real name, but in my case, you can call me Mike or Michael, I like them both!
Interesting! Any info on Daniel/Dan or Francis?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM

691 posts, read 755,228 times
I like my name.I was named for my grandmother and it's a solid old german name plus it is also the name of St.Hilda of Whitby,who was a famous abbess in England. Nothing wrong with the last name either as my father who is german had relatives that were members of the german military ( at least two generals I know of) and also were invovled in politics.The family name is well known in Germany.I'd rather have my name than be known as Tiffany,Madison, Brooklyn or some of the other names I've heard women and girls called.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 PM

15,812 posts, read 4,930,121 times
I have mixed feelings about my name.

First Name: Old fashioned and now quite unpopular, but I was named for my aunt, a very dear person, and I'm honored.

Middle Name: A unisex name that has Western, rural or cowgirl connotations. It was my father's first name. I hate it!

Last Name: Unusual Americanized name that is also a common noun. It ends in a vowel, so people often think I am Latina (I'm not, the name was originally German). No one can seem to pronounce it correctly and it is frequently misspelled. I hate it! My husband's surname is one of those "hacking up a lung" German names that's even worse to spell and pronounce. I don't use it.

Nickname: An unusual one that is very unpopular now. My mother liked it, though, so in her honor I keep it. People say it suits me, but I still hate it.

There is only one person in the United States with my first and last name. If you Google my nickname and last name, you will get sites relating to pest control. If you Google my real first name and last name, you'll get sites related to certain regions of Washington State, Canada and Australia, but you won't find out anything about me. I guess that's a good thing.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,991,637 times
George.

I like it. A very masculine name compared to many other classical male names which sound 'boyish' (Dave, Travis, Daniel, Luke, Matt, Jamie, Steve)...

I was originally opted for Steve by the way...Glad I never got it.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
In some cultures a person does not get a permanent name until they are old enough to choose one them self . Seems like a good idea.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,251,369 times
My first name is great: Cali

I don't like my last name. It's not terrible; I just wouldn't have chosen it for myself. lol

Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
I really like my names. My first name has an interesting family history; it is unique and its meaning is a noble idea. My middle name is for a kind man who befriended my parents when they were young, in a new town and in need of a friend....my mother said he was the kindest man she had ever met. I met him when he was in his mid 80's .... he was a good story teller and still a kind man. My last name is my connection to generations of people who I admire. I love my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or