Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM

142 posts, read 206,024 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been on this site quite a while but not posted much in the past. Just recently I've been motivated to say something and now it seems I can't even come up with much to say. Sometimes I think I must be autistic, especially since I have a son with asperger's and I've heard that it's genetic. I just wonder what's wrong with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,054,974 times
It's a skill. How do you work yourself out of a box? How do you work yourself out of a box you don't know you are in?

Thrash about.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,394,059 times
I'm boring to people who don't like to talk about the same things, of that I'm sure. I think that's true about anybody. I remember toward the end of college, a couple of my friends wanted to meet this girl they knew from their childhood days. They were headed to law school and this girl had gotten into Stanford Law. We met her at this restaurant/bar with nice views and upholstered rounded booths. She was so boring that I fell asleep in the circular booth in the bar. Conversely, there was a knoll which was an observation point which looked out over the runways at the international airport. I could go there and talk to some of the people I just met about the planes we were looking at as if I had known them for a year. I'm sure some would find that, and me, boring.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 PM

577 posts, read 993,464 times
We all have our interests that others may boring. Some are almost fanatical on one subject. Some years ago it was said that if you began talking to Bobby Fischer with general conversation, that he would give you a odd look and ask "But what do this have to do with chess?" We've all known people like that.

If your not sure what conversation you want to start, just reply to others threads. Nobody's going to bite your head off (outside of the political forums), even if your reply is just a sentence or two

Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
I wouldn't say there is something "wrong" with you (based on the information you provided). Everyone is different - and thank goodness! I can relate to you to some degree:

Sometimes I can log onto city-data and have a reply to just about every thread I read. Other times, I can't formulate my thoughts into a valuable contribution and log off after a short while. Rarely am I creative enough to actually start a thread.

As for real-life interaction, I'm usually the less- or least-talkative one in most conversations. I like to get my point across and move on not sit and talk about everything under the sun.

Also I find that my mind seems to work better spatially than verbally. While others think about conversations they've had and their relationships, my mind wanders off into science, mechanical, and theoretical ideas.

All our minds work a little different. You have to find out how yours works and appreciate it not denigrate it.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,608,571 times
Yeah. I'm sure I could be perceived as boring to some. I joke that I really dont have a life. But funny thing, Im happy with it for the most part.

Well I AM getting a new life in a few weeks for which I am totally excited. I will be in a different environment and I know just by logic and what I forsee that I will not have a boring life in a few weeks.

YAY! Im excited!

So if your life is boring to you, change it! Easy squeesy..

Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
Nope. I'm pretty darn entertaining and VERY opinionated. People who know me know when they ask for my opinion, they will get it.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I wouldn't say there is something "wrong" with you (based on the information you provided). Everyone is different - and thank goodness! I can relate to you to some degree:

Sometimes I can log onto city-data and have a reply to just about every thread I read. Other times, I can't formulate my thoughts into a valuable contribution and log off after a short while. Rarely am I creative enough to actually start a thread.

As for real-life interaction, I'm usually the less- or least-talkative one in most conversations. I like to get my point across and move on not sit and talk about everything under the sun.

Also I find that my mind seems to work better spatially than verbally. While others think about conversations they've had and their relationships, my mind wanders off into science, mechanical, and theoretical ideas.

All our minds work a little different. You have to find out how yours works and appreciate it not denigrate it.
I have the opposite problem, just can't help myself! I've started more threads than any other poster i know. Not too long before I'll have started 2,000 .

Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,932,617 times
No, quite the opposite actually. To be truthful, I find a good percentage of the people I interact with on a daily basis to be rather boring, but then I imagine they feel much the same about me. I don't share hardly any of the interests which the people around me have, so it is difficult for me to connect with anyone else in a way that is enjoyable to me. Their conversations consist mainly of television shows, sports, and complaining about the unfairness of life around them; generally I would prefer it if I could take a knife to my wrist for some diversion rather than listen to their talk which unfortunately I cannot avoid since I am in the same room with them.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,793,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
Hi, I've been on this site quite a while but not posted much in the past. Just recently I've been motivated to say something and now it seems I can't even come up with much to say. Sometimes I think I must be autistic, especially since I have a son with asperger's and I've heard that it's genetic. I just wonder what's wrong with me?
I feel like a bore as far as telling people my day to day activities which are nothing special. At the same time I'm far from boring. I'm one of the most creative people and always make people laugh. I guess it depends on what you value in life that determines whether you think someone is boring. I know people who go on road trips, do lots of activities all time, yet they aren't captivating or interesting people to me. I would rather be on a metro bus watching some crazy dude dancing with a piece of toilet paper hanging out of the back of his pants then to go out with those people doing all those activities that cost money. I generally don't find things like rock climbing, kayacking, or any other activity that has a structure to it as being exciting to me. I like to make things creative and make my own adventures instead of doing something that was created to entertain people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology