U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM

5,369 posts, read 6,092,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
There really aren't many socially acceptable for males to express their frustrations and emotions accept for drugs and violence. I mean legally those aren't acceptable but guys who partake in those behaviors will get more respect than those who want to vent or talk about their feelings.

Your even lauded as a wuss if you see a therapist. At least the attitude towards therapy is becoming more accepted.
Easy solution: men should freely break the unwritten, defacto rule of the male gender not being emotionally-expressive en masse, and in fact throw it out the window! B/c if enough men were to actually do that and simply disregard it, the rule becomes essentially null and void, by default...men need love and to be loved too, after all; nothing at all to be ashamed of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM

23,606 posts, read 57,583,928 times
Young men today do not have a place. They are told you are not a protector, women do not need you. You are not the breadwinner, women can do that on their own. They are told men are basically bad and useless. Men cause all of societies problems. They are told men should act more like women. They are told men are not as smart or capable as women. In order to balance out the fact that teaching was once geared toward the need of boys, it is now geared toward the needs of girls. Boys struggle in school and fewer men go to college than women. If they listen to societal mores and media, they believe men serve no purpose for good, they are mere surplusage and substandard to women. Many times they are raised with no male role model no idea of what it means to be a man.

You are not the care taker, not the defender, not the breadwinner, not the comforter, not the bearer or raiser of children women can do that better, not the leader or decision maker, not the muscle, not the reparier, not needed and really not wanted, just a necessary evil.

Is this poll terribly surprising?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Speaking as a man who's tried to kill himself a few times, I think its pretty obvious: We live in a society that readily accepts women talking about their emotional problems but basically brands any man that admits to feeling hopeless and depressed as a weakling.
I do not see this reflected in the graph. This "weakling" thing was much more pronounced in the past and has become less so. Men are now much more encouraged to talk about their feelings, yet the suicide rate exploded in the 1980s/1990s.

Likewise I do not see being gay and causing an increase since it was much more stigmatized in the past when suicide rates were lower.

Guns are not more available now than in the past. In fact, they are probably less available. The further back you go the more guns were a necessity and nearly everyone had them.

One other thing that could possibly be related. They have found huge levels of estrogen in our drinking water. The reason being women only absorb about 10% of the estrogen in the pill and the rest passes into our water system. No one has any idea what drinking huge doses of estrogen does to a growing boy, however the increase in suicide does correlate with the time when it became generally accepted for most women to use the pill. I suppose it is possible the recent drop off may correlate to the technology getting better so the doses are less excessive. This also could explain why so many more people seem to have difficulty conceiving children in recent times. Just a WAG putting 2 and 2 together. I am not a scientist, but it is possible. Realistically the only thing I have read that matches the increase in suicide rates in men.

The only thing that correlates that I know of is the sexual revolution and the resulting demonizing of men and the explosion in use of the pill. I am not saying either one of those things happening is a bad thing, but it might be a good idea to find out whether either one is a cause and correct it. Neither one is really all that difficult to correct.

There are other correlations that I see, but no idea where they are coming from. More young men seem to suffer severe depression than did when I was young. More boys seem to have problems like asthma, ADD ADHD, Ausbergers and the like than they did 30 years ago. Maybe there is some other cause that is causing all of these things.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM

495 posts, read 511,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Young men today do not have a place. They are told you are not a protector, women do not need you. You are not the breadwinner, women can do that on their own. They are told men are basically bad and useless. Men cause all of societies problems. They are told men should act more like women. They are told men are not as smart or capable as women. In order to balance out the fact that teaching was once geared toward the need of boys, it is now geared toward the needs of girls. Boys struggle in school and fewer men go to college than women. If they listen to societal mores and media, they believe men serve no purpose for good, they are mere surplusage and substandard to women. Many times they are raised with no male role model no idea of what it means to be a man.

You are not the care taker, not the defender, not the breadwinner, not the comforter, not the bearer or raiser of children women can do that better, not the leader or decision maker, not the muscle, not the reparier, not needed and really not wanted, just a necessary evil.

You hit it right on the head clodj. I think for me its the pressure to be a winner or be left out of the mating game.Its a pressure women will never have and can never relate to.Men do not get the option of working part time at a min wage job and still enjoy a heathly dating life.I will always be envious of the choices women have in life and still enjoy a rich relationship life even if they choose a relaxed or even lazy life path.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM

487 posts, read 632,195 times
I took a course several years ago. Here were the results: Suicide rates were higher for married women.
Suicide rates were higher for unmarried men. Looking at the earlier graph, do you see a coincidence during the
late 60's moving forward to the 70's and on where women attained more rights, more opportunities in
the job market & careers & education.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Like most things, I suspect it is so complex and caused by multiple factors that our scientists will spend forever postulating various theories which then get proven wrong, and will never really figure it out.

Speaking of never ending theories, are eggs good or bad for you this week?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 AM

419 posts, read 665,294 times
I'm not sure why it is so high, but when I was deeply depressed years the only reason i didn't kill myself is because i couldn't easily enough acquire a reasonably painless method. all in all then, i think men off themselves more because they usually have easier access to less painful / more successful methods of suicide.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:01 AM

8,136 posts, read 8,449,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

^ this nails it.

Furthermore, to expound slightly, men are not a "protected group" by default, meaning that it can be far easier for a male to lose his job or be overlooked for employment in the first place, out of the pervue of any legal action.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,417,428 times
Perhaps it has something to do with plasticity? Women have been forced to change their roles, throughout history. They had to suck it up and make the best of bad situations. They're able to look at what their ancestors survived and know that they can do it as well. Perhaps that's what gives them the strength to go on. Men used to be the hunter/gatherers and the ones who went to battle. That left the women in a position where they HAD to do everything themselves, in many cases. Because of these situations, (MANY) women, have a tendency to be more flexible in their roles.

Throughout history, many men have chosen to do ONLY what they want to do. Women have been placed in the role of doing what "needs to be done". Mind you, not ALL women are anywhere like that, as many simply choose to act like helpless, mindless brats.

Perhaps women are able to rationalize...and stop themselves, because they understand the pain they'll cause others, should they successfully commit suicide. Perhaps......they're just not as selfish as men.

Do more men simply say, "I can't deal with it.....so I'm gonna kill myself".....as a way of punishing others? Is that their "warrior mentality" in irrational overdrive?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,332,582 times
Because women are built for putting up with problem after problem after problem and men just off themselves, problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology