Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Why did a football game trigger that? Nothing you went through personally ever got you even madder than that?
I know it sounds silly but I was literally cursing the other team and even fantasising about mowing them all down with a machine gun (in jest, i wasn't serious about it), and throwing things at the wall. My team was doing well and almost squandered a 40 point lead. Luckily, we held on, or else i don't know what I'd have done. This has only happened a few times in exceptionally provocative circumstances, it's not like it happens every time my team loses. I was also younger, I'm a lot more calm and mature now haha. It's weird because i'm not an angry person by nature at all but I just really get into it.

Other than that, probably when i feel i've been wronged/treated unfairly by my parents or sisters (moreso in the past). Indeed being treated unfairly probably makes me fill up with what i perceive as righteous anger more than anything. Just recently I was penalised by a mod on city data for what i saw was such a minor/petty thing which was actually in my view a downright false accusation and got a 3 week ban. I wouldn't say I was livid, but I was thoroughly irritated. It's just the fact it's happened so many times and I guess the fact I'm addicted to this place, I was sort of like a junkie in that respect .

Road rage can bring out flashes of anger but they usually subside quickly. Being hot-headed doesn't help when driving, you need to be calm in order to totally focus on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,066 times
Nothing gets me more enraged than seeing anti-abortion protesters stalking women's centered clinics, and harassing the women as they're entering. I get especially "red" when they're men. Like to the point that I want to throw things at them.

One time, I was walking to the bus stop and had to pass by Planned Parenthood. It being a Saturday, the protesters were out in full force. When this woman approached me, while holding her "babies are miracles" sign, and tried to give me a pamphlet, I completely lost it and screamed at her.

That was an isolated incident, as I generally am never close enough to them (on the opposite side of the street) to actually have them approach. When I see videos of people rationally, and calmly countering anti-abortionists, I am always filled with admiration, because it is something that I just cannot do.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Hrmm...

I do still get upset at the Lakers, and my cat.

As you should, the Spurs are killin' it.

Anyhoo...I remember being bullied as a kid and finally smacking the boy in the head on the playground. Of course, I was the one who was disciplined for that particular event, after all those years of being picked on by that little %$%J&*.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,413 times
I don't remember ever feeling rage to the point of wanting to hurt someone. But I do remember a time when after failing to get a passing score on a very important exam, I wanted to smash the computer I used to take the test on to smithereens! It was a 6-hour test with 350 questions (not to mention four months of studying)---you had to get 70% correct to pass. When the computer tabulated my score and it spit out a score of 69% I wanted to throw the "bleeping" thing out the window!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 67,483 times
Default Blind Rage

The most enraged I remember being was when I was married to my ex-husband. He continued to have an affair with another woman, was verbally & physically abusive with me. He had an explosive temper, anything would set him off. He felt he could do no wrong & nothing I did would ever be good enough. I confronted him about the affair and I became so blinded by rage, every muscle in my body became tense & ridged with adrenaline, I felt like punching him, but knew he would kill me first.

Eventually we got divorced (not soon enough). I regret the years I wasted & the damage that marriage did to our kids. My ex died of heart failure a couple years ago at the age of 61. My son & daughter had to give up the million dollar home by the beach they lived in with him, because he was a con using aliases to finance what he considered "The California Dream" & his business took a nose dive with the recession. Nobody wins in that situation.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
My ex, he was crazy. Together, we were crazy. I remember one fight we had in the kitchen, I literally picked up a knife. I was so angry and frustrated. I found out he was a liar, and a cheat, I was married to a sociopath. He could lie as easily as tell the truth. He made me act psychotic, because he drove me so crazy. Divorcing him was the best thing I ever did for my mental health.

Which time, was I the most angry...I think it was when I went to the bank for money, and our entire account was completely empty. I had no money, at all. I had just had my paycheck, direct deposited into the account, that morning. I had three children, one needed diapers and formula, and I had no money at all. It was Friday, after work, I had three hungry kids, hardly any food at home, and...the most frustrating thing, was I worked full time, as a teacher, my paycheck, had gone into that account, that morning, that was now zeroed out. This was before cell phones...I had no credit card. And had no idea where he was...blind rage, does not even come close to how completely angry I was...with him, and with myself, for being in this helpless of a situation. He liked to control everything.

This is how helpless women feel who are abused, and how they are treated...no one understands why they don't leave...how can they? And you feel like you can't ask anyone for help, because they will wonder why you are so stupid, a career woman, who does not have a dime to her name.

Of course, he did not call all weekend. He was busy, "working"...whatever...I fed the kids whatever was in the house, no milk, no fruit, no bread, no diapers, no formula, just somehow managed. I did not even have gas in the car. I could not go anywhere. I was angry, not only for my situation, but how he treated these innocent kids, which were his...He did show up, Sunday night, breezed in the house, like there were no problems at all...oh, the money? He told me he decided to pay all the bills, a lie, of course, he found a good deal on guns, and bought them...told me he would make money on selling them, which, of course, I never saw a dime of.

He had done things like that before, but this was really it...I finally realized was a complete selfish, pig he was, who cared about no one but himself. Monday, I opened my own account, changed all of my banking to my own account, and started making my plan for when I would leave him. Our marriage was over.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My ex, he was crazy. Together, we were crazy. I remember one fight we had in the kitchen, I literally picked up a knife. I was so angry and frustrated. I found out he was a liar, and a cheat, I was married to a sociopath. He could lie as easily as tell the truth. He made me act psychotic, because he drove me so crazy. Divorcing him was the best thing I ever did for my mental health.

Which time, was I the most angry...I think it was when I went to the bank for money, and our entire account was completely empty. I had no money, at all. I had just had my paycheck, direct deposited into the account, that morning. I had three children, one needed diapers and formula, and I had no money at all. It was Friday, after work, I had three hungry kids, hardly any food at home, and...the most frustrating thing, was I worked full time, as a teacher, my paycheck, had gone into that account, that morning, that was now zeroed out. This was before cell phones...I had no credit card. And had no idea where he was...blind rage, does not even come close to how completely angry I was...with him, and with myself, for being in this helpless of a situation. He liked to control everything.

This is how helpless women feel who are abused, and how they are treated...no one understands why they don't leave...how can they? And you feel like you can't ask anyone for help, because they will wonder why you are so stupid, a career woman, who does not have a dime to her name.

Of course, he did not call all weekend. He was busy, "working"...whatever...I fed the kids whatever was in the house, no milk, no fruit, no bread, no diapers, no formula, just somehow managed. I did not even have gas in the car. I could not go anywhere. I was angry, not only for my situation, but how he treated these innocent kids, which were his...He did show up, Sunday night, breezed in the house, like there were no problems at all...oh, the money? He told me he decided to pay all the bills, a lie, of course, he found a good deal on guns, and bought them...told me he would make money on selling them, which, of course, I never saw a dime of.

He had done things like that before, but this was really it...I finally realized was a complete selfish, pig he was, who cared about no one but himself. Monday, I opened my own account, changed all of my banking to my own account, and started making my plan for when I would leave him. Our marriage was over.

So good for you!

My blind rage happened twice. Death of my father. Then when my son got hurt and a teacher tried to cover it up.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Since then nope, I've realized that there's very,very few things worth getting that angry over.
I agree. I don't know if you were the same way as me, but I was always someone who never got angry like most other people do over small things like turning homework in on time or being late on a bill or because someone called me names, but I let things build up I guess, and when I felt like someone was trying to control me or go overboard taking advantage of my kindness I would just snap after so many things would happen. If I had to give advice to people on here, it would be to leave the nice and kind people alone. Don't take advantage of them just because you think they are a push-over because it can get ugly if you happen to mess with them on the wrong day thinking you are going to use, control, or lie to them.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm truly been enraged before, well not to point of actually wanting to kill someone, but funnily enough it would usually be when my football team were losing or something like that. I have admit I have wished harm on others, like two people I felt were bullies in school, though.

What about you?

What time of the day is it?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a veteran of the Riverine Forces (River Rats with pride) in Vietnam in 1966-7. I have experienced not blind but very controlled rage. It kept me alive but was very, very addictive.
Bet you have some interesting stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology