U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM

6,622 posts, read 10,855,644 times

Advertisements

No way in hell would I ever be desperate enough to want a relationship with another man.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM

5,413 posts, read 8,078,150 times
A simple google search brings up hundreds of articles linking homosexuality to male birth order... Here are just a few... I draw no conclusions as I have not evaluated the research.

Men with older brothers more likely to be gay - Health - Health care - More health news | NBC News

Fraternal birth order and male sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fraternal birth order and the maternal immune hyp... [Horm Behav. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

'Nearly Straight' Men And The Fraternal Birth Order Effect

http://classes.biology.ucsd.edu/bisp...chard_2001.pdf

O brother, where art thou? The fraternal birth-order effect on male sexual orientation

“Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why”: Where does homosexuality come from? - Salon.com

Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture?-Part 2 of 5-Studies Show Gay Rights Is A Civil Rights Issue

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM

8,924 posts, read 13,658,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
One of my evangelical friends told me it was because gay men didn't know how to relate to women and were only comfortable relating to men. Which I found hysterical. Many of my gay male friends (pre-coming out) had women flinging themselves at them solely because of their ability to relate so well to women.
When I was younger, I was extremely uncomfortable with women. To the point I got myself into a rather bad social stigma where I was unable to successfully meet or relate to women at all socially. I was completely akward, lacked confidence, and had zero success. Yet, not once did I ever have any desire or drive to seek out a same sex romantic relationship.

I think there has to be some kind of physical/romantic attraction in a guy to turn to that route. Or at least a curiosity to experiment. I never had any curiosity to experiment with other guys... so it never even occured to me as an option for social/romantic release.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM

20,651 posts, read 21,724,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
A simple google search brings up hundreds of articles linking homosexuality to male birth order... Here are just a few... I draw no conclusions as I have not evaluated the research.

Men with older brothers more likely to be gay - Health - Health care - More health news | NBC News

Fraternal birth order and male sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fraternal birth order and the maternal immune hyp... [Horm Behav. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

'Nearly Straight' Men And The Fraternal Birth Order Effect

http://classes.biology.ucsd.edu/bisp...chard_2001.pdf

O brother, where art thou? The fraternal birth-order effect on male sexual orientation

ďGay, Straight, and the Reason WhyĒ: Where does homosexuality come from? - Salon.com

Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture?-Part 2 of 5-Studies Show Gay Rights Is A Civil Rights Issue
It's probably in one of these articles, but I've read that the birth order thing has more to do with a woman's ability to produce the correct hormones during pregancy than any sort of societal need for men who don't breed. The bodies of some women who've had many sons might be depleted of the hormones that switch the fetus from female to male (or they may overproduce hormones in the case of lesbians.)

Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM

4,188 posts, read 4,094,946 times
I've never heard of it, but I would be lying if I hadn't considered it, especially since I'm on such a long period of incel. Of course it's completely irrational, since it's not a choice but an inherent trait. Considering how ridiculously easy it is in this city to attract guys versus attracing women, it's a shame.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM

12,451 posts, read 15,440,311 times
I don't think so.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,459,671 times
Iím gay and know that weíre much pickier than straight women. Any straight man that couldnít attract a woman would have a terrible time finding a gay man.

Iíve known straight women in same-sex relationships after bad, or even abusive relationships with men. I donít know any straight men in a similar situation.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM

4,188 posts, read 4,094,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Iím gay and know that weíre much pickier than straight women. Any straight man that couldnít attract a woman would have a terrible time finding a gay man.

Iíve known straight women in same-sex relationships after bad, or even abusive relationships with men. I donít know any straight men in a similar situation.
This hasn't been my experience in SF. Maybe they're just more aggresive here than in NY, I don't know. All I know is that when one of my gay friends took me out to some of the hotspots in the Castro and surrounds it was crazy how many people were hitting on me without me even doing anything. And it wasn't just for sex either (though that comprised the majority of the propositions), some of them were looking for a regular relatinoship. I felt kind of bad about having to constantly decline, lol.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,691,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
This hasn't been my experience in SF. Maybe they're just more aggresive here than in NY, I don't know. All I know is that when one of my gay friends took me out to some of the hotspots in the Castro and surrounds it was crazy how many people were hitting on me without me even doing anything. And it wasn't just for sex either (though that comprised the majority of the propositions), some of them were looking for a regular relatinoship. I felt kind of bad about having to constantly decline, lol.
Yes, dear, but it mystifies the rest of us here how you haven't been mobbed by women. In an average scenario, you would not have any trouble getting women.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM

635 posts, read 557,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have no idea.... There was one study (think I read it Scientific America awhile back- I'll see if I can find it) that linked homosexuality to birth order. They tracked families with 3 or more boys and found that, while 1st and 2nd born boys are less likely to be homosexual, the 3rd born boy is more likely, 4th born boy even more likely, and the percentages keep increasing for the number of boys/late birth order in a family. E.g. A sixth born boy was much more likely to be homosexual... The theory was that there was less and less genetic need to pass on the family seed after the first two or three born boys and that genetically predisposed later born boys to be homosexual...

I do not know how scientifically valid the study was, just thought the theory was very interesting...
Hmm might be true for me. I am the youngest of 9 kids and 7 are girls! I had the lesbian phase. I didn't act on it coz my sis literally told me she will kill me if I turn lesbian when we were kids. Coz she read my diary about me falling in love with my girl friend. I mean instead of me getting angry at her for invading my privacy reading my diary, she has the nerve to threaten to kill me .

I did have the massive crush on a boy though when we were both 10, but when he didn't reciprocate my feelings, I just remember having crushes with mostly of same sex, went on til college.

I am happily married now though with my husband so I am sure I got over the lesbian phase. Which I did not act on. Oh wait, my ONS was with a woman! No biggie nothing really happened coz I had my period then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or