Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Test case: you lure a straight man into a room, onto a massage table, the massage is given in complete darkness, he has no clue whose hands are on him...
Which brings up the question: Are men who are blind from birth attracted to women?

Think about that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 AM

328 posts, read 466,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Which brings up the question: Are men who are blind from birth attracted to women?

Think about that one!
That would be an interesting study.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:27 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,690 times
I don't believe that anyone can just go gay like flipping a switch. You're either born gay or you're not, unless you are open to bisexual experiences.

Besides if you can't attract the opposite sex for whatever reason, what would make you think that you could attract the same sex?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,018 times
Quote:
Test case: you lure a straight man into a room, onto a massage table, the massage is given in complete darkness, he has no clue whose hands are on him, or gives him a happy ending. This would be a test case for those straight men who cringe, and say: I could never get a massage from another male!
Interesting discussion.

There are several factors other than vision involved here, but for now let's focus on one -- the sense of smell. Smell is one of our two most primitive senses (the other is taste), and it is wired directly into the most primitive parts of our brain. This is why smells trigger such strong memories. For example, if the "person of your dreams" wore a certain fragrance, the smell of that fragrance triggers an extremely powerful memory of that person.

The simple fact is that, whether they are straight or gay, males smell differently from females. Though many of us are not aware of it on a conscious level, we quickly pick up on this difference. It isn't easy to disguise it or cover it up, either. For instance, should we spray a male with Chanel No. 5, the resulting smell will probably be identified as "a male wearing Chanel No.5." (Yes, I'm overstating it just a bit to make my point. How'd I do? )

==================================

Now, to be equally clear, I'm not saying that a straight male cannot be fooled, because it has happened rather often (generally following the ingestion of alcohol or other intoxicants, a time when human males are prone to falling in lust with almost anything that moves). I'm saying that vision isn't the only discriminative stimulus that should be considered.

And, I guess, this also at least partially addresses the question involving the man who is blind from birth.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-12-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,362 times
No. After a while, men give up after finding out the true nature of the opposite gender.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:37 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I've met a few true-blue bisexuals, in my time, and I think that would be the great luxury in the world, to be one!

Imagine a world, walking through a crowded mall, and having two eyes instead of one! It would make people-watching ever more enjoyable!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,018 times
Quote:
Imagine a world, walking through a crowded mall, and having two eyes instead of one! It would make people-watching ever more enjoyable!
I think you just did it!

Seriously though, there is a lot of information that suggests human sexual preference, though genetically hard-wired, is not always binary ("either-this-OR-that") in nature.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-13-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,443 times
When does curious become more than just a passing interest?

Old 12-25-2013, 06:31 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
I've met a few true-blue bisexuals, in my time, and I think that would be the great luxury in the world, to be one!

Well like they say it doubles your chance of a date on a Saturday night...

Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM

49 posts, read 79,598 times
I get confused by alot of this. I worked with a fine looking young guy. He was dating this really cute other guy. But they bickered and argued openly with each other... whatever.. the one was cold and cruel and "flip" about how he felt..afterall, they were breaking up. Later i was told that he had been married and had children.... so is this guy just fickel or an equal oppotunity
meanie ? So i guess he was bi. Hmm.
But im confused again. If gay guys like guys...why do they want to act feminine? So they like guys. Why be girly ? ( of course not everyone acts that way... im just saying...i often wondered that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology