U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM

2,378 posts, read 2,460,326 times

Advertisements

Are those who essentially find it not worth the effort to think basically just the basic animal version of a human? Mostly just environmentally responsive with enough intelligence used to muddle their appearance but when you weigh strictly their actions over say a month's period they might as well have been a creature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM

921 posts, read 1,684,090 times
Did something specific happen to make you think about this? It sounds like you have a gripe against someone for something that could have been prevented with a little foresight.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Not exactly based off one case. But a general example is that this kind of person tends to cause a lot of havoc on others around them while at the same time able to come off as completely normal. I see a lot of people try to "figure them out" but can never do it. To me it just seems on a low level these kinds of people function very basically and use the rest of their intellect to come off as normal so others will keep them in the net and they can just continue sustaining while confusing others into thinking they're doing things.

Normally the only way you can zero them out is to summarize who they were over a longer period of time.

For instance I know someone who says they are going back to college, and you'd believe them 100%. However I recently saw an email of theirs from SEVEN years ago stating almost the exact same lines that you would have thought were said today. I'm saying there are certain kinds of people who use a big portion of their intellect to merely come off as intelligent / normal and that some of these people otherwise operate in such a basic fashion that they might be the human equivalent of an animal.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Infact trying to evaluate them on a case by case basis is normally their key to getting away with it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM

835 posts, read 945,503 times
Are you saying the fake it till you make it kind of philosophy, without actually making anything???

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,717,834 times
I'm very impulse driven...it's too much of a hassle to think too far ahead...

Also, the more I think ahead, the less I feel I'm in control of my life. Like, I'm a slave to the whims of a former self.

I like to live in the moment, but yeah, it has bitten me in the ass many times. Still, I prefer it to always living a life that was set out for me by someone who isn't me currently.

I can cause havoc in other people's lives, this I know. My life is a constant state of chaos, and this rubs off on others. I'm not apologetic for it.

Though I do a lot, I don't do a lot in the sense of achieving anything. I'm just doing, and living, and enjoying the doing, as I'm living.

Am I an animal? Of course I am.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 PM

I guess not because when you "fake it till you make it" you eventually become what you are faking. I guess this would be more like an internal race to the bottom version of fitymi. Or it could be an endless perpetual version of it.

Yes your faking it and making it seem like your trying to make it, but internally everything is just trying to operate on the bare minimal and all internal decisions short cut to the cheapest, most selfish, ignorant reckless routes that can be taken. Then their whole "engine" is just to maintain things of the surface to sustain and keep a place in the social net.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I'm very impulse driven...it's too much of a hassle to think too far ahead...

Also, the more I think ahead, the less I feel I'm in control of my life. Like, I'm a slave to the whims of a former self.

I like to live in the moment, but yeah, it has bitten me in the ass many times. Still, I prefer it to always living a life that was set out for me by someone who isn't me currently.

I can cause havoc in other people's lives, this I know. My life is a constant state of chaos, and this rubs off on others. I'm not apologetic for it.

Though I do a lot, I don't do a lot in the sense of achieving anything. I'm just doing, and living, and enjoying the doing, as I'm living.

Am I an animal? Of course I am.
Reminds me of what Jean Jacques Rousseau wrote about in Emile... Basically that to be alive you have to leave any form of prudence.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM

10,531 posts, read 4,621,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Are those who essentially find it not worth the effort to think basically just the basic animal version of a human? Mostly just environmentally responsive with enough intelligence used to muddle their appearance but when you weigh strictly their actions over say a month's period they might as well have been a creature?
Two separate questions, to my mind.
1.Yes, we're all animals-I include myself in that. Some of us can do superlative tricks (heights of creativity, depths of cruelty), which we hold out as proof of our being human, as if that is inherently superior (which I refuse to take a stance on).
2. Problems with congruence/fidelity between words and deeds, between intent/plan and follow-through/action. Lack of feedback within a person that compares/contrasts one's past/present statements with one's present/future behaviors. There are many causes* for that disparity btw. idea and fulfillment, not all of which can be heaped at the feet of the person in question. Being unaware of that as a problem, though, is an obstacle to addressing the disjuncture.
*If I tackled the possible contributing factors (reasons why-biology, personality, etc.), my post would go on for pages...

I have a friend like that-if we weren't already friends, I probably wouldn't befriend him now, knowing this-but anyway...He is forever seeing things through unrealistically optimistic filter, which leads to surprise & disappointment, which I (with my gloom & doom pessimism) could see coming a mile away-yet my friend fails at that sort of foresight.
However, to be fair,
I have blindness with regards to some future likelihoods/probabilities myself, so I can't get on a high horse about it.
We all have areas in which we are ignorant, that seem obvious & predictable to others outside us-and others have areas in which they are clueless, yet oneself can see clearly that the other person's great enthusiasm was all a pipe dream of fantastical wishes.

Best case scenario is that one can find friends who are willing & able to take correction ("own up to it") when they make mistakes of prediction, but who will also help oneself with recognizing & admitting one's own pitfalls, and we help each other in an interdependent relationship-rather than constructing a hierarchy based on all-or-nothing divisions (of people who have difficulties vs. people who have zero problems, which is a false dichotomy anyway).

Balancing "living-in-the-moment" with forward thought is a constant struggle for any living entity, obviously moreso for any creature with capacity to imagine/project current circumstances into a hypothesized/simulated future. It's ever a work-in-progress, and each individual will arrive at a unique answer that seems optimal (with more or less success at the task) for themselves.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM

9,683 posts, read 13,566,492 times
Mike, humans can use The Light of Intelligence only to a certain amount, allotted for them by their destiny and capacities of their bodies. NO ONE in human body can withstand The Light. This can be done only by entities that reside in bodies, made out of balanced eternal units. Eventually, everyone goes through the Earthly cycle and returns to such body, and can be in The Light.
There are humans, that have The Light shut for them, due to the destiny they created, by their thinking. That does not mean they are in coma in vegetative state. That simply means, that they have no intelligence allowed, for the time being. Yet, their bodies may function, and function very well, as body is operated by a soul, residing in involuntary nervous system. Such unit can be progressed enough, to function that body reasonably well without conscious Self being present in it.
There are humans, that intentionally keep shutting down The Light in them and yes, they are closing on becoming ones of those described above.
It is likely not what you asking for, but there are 4 classes of humans: laborers, traders, thinkers, and knowers.
Laborers live to satisfy their senses. It can be anyone, from a grave digger to a professor. It is not determination based on position, it is made based on the driving goal for that particular human. Like I said - laborer will do anything to satisfy his senses. Trader will do anything to satisfy the desire for gain and possession, or power, which is form of possession. Humans you describing - and I am very well familiar with them - sort of fall into the laborer category, as they float through life concerned only with primitive cravings and like amoebas, simply responding to stimuli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or