Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times

Advertisements

First, to be clear, I personally have no problem with guns per se, and I own one myself (mainly for dealing with predators on my rural property). So what we're talking about here are the hyper-fanatical gun ''nuts'', whose whole life and even sense of identity seems to revolve around owning this one particular ''tool''.

We've certainly seen plenty of 'em here on these forums, demonstrating how threatened they feel about having any limits put on their ''rights'', regardless the circumstances (like the growing number of massacres around the country). But IMO most notable is how many of them quickly go into a rage whenever someone disagrees with them... often becoming verbally abusive, sometimes even accompanied by physical threats.

But isn't all that behavior basically just narcissistic ''grandiosity'' and ''entitlement'', along with the usual lack of empathy, boundaries or accountability (aka, ''I'm Special, and it's all about ME!'')? And if we're gonna talk about keeping guns away from ''psychos'', then shouldn't clinical Narcissism (the behavioral disorder), be an immediate ''red flag''?

APA Study: Narcissists Go For Their Gun When Criticized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
I don't think it's narcissism. I think it's fear and paranoia. They're afraid of everything and perceive everything/body as a possible threat.

And a couple of the ones I've met are simply overcompensating. I'll let you ponder what they're overcompensating for.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM

13,610 posts, read 10,018,851 times
We live in a narcissistic society, people have stopped caring about others.

I think this counts for any nut, even the religious!

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 02-26-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
No, they are pro freedom (of all types) and your weak disclaimer is belied by the phrases you choose.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
As are golf nuts, fly fishing nuts, skiing nuts, car nuts. There are extremes to everything.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,157,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
We live in a narcissistic society, people have stopped caring about others.

I think this counts for any nut, even the religious!

I somewhat agree with this - we live in a society where people have little regard for the stranger in the passing, and criticize so many, yet, can't seem to turn the harsh eye on ourselves. We're an overzealous society that is increasingly ungrateful for all the freedoms we have .... Human kindness is so easy and it's free, yet it's so genuinely challenging to find - we're a very opinionated, and judgmental nation.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
As are golf nuts, fly fishing nuts, skiing nuts, car nuts. There are extremes to everything.
Hmmm, see a lotta golf, skiing and car nuts like this, do 'ya...?!!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Some of them, yes. For some of them it makes them feel big and powerful.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,693,765 times
I suggest you study the history of citizens right to own guns in Australia and Europe. Look at other English speaking countries as well. The facts will open your eyes. You can also study the FBI data on crime and other sites such as Spotcrime and crimemap. You can also review the party platform of the Democratic party. An interesting study would be why the politicians so quickly dropped the topic of school safety and desparately changed the national focus away from school issues and on to their party platform. I find it interesting that the anti gun folks just want to take away without even a suggestion of what they would give back. There are so many things, machines, tools etc in our society that cause death and injury other than guns. Why the focus on guns?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
...snip... There are so many things, machines, tools etc in our society that cause death and injury other than guns. Why the focus on guns?
Because they are the easiest tool to acquire that can kill many people at once.

At least, until the US starts allowing folks to buy bombs - you know, to protect their freedom....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology