U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,067,232 times

Advertisements

Meditation is not something a Christian should not do. It really is religously neutral. I'm Christian and I find meditation to be a practise with many benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM

6,181 posts, read 7,330,780 times
As a young teen, having trouble with my religious background, I was directed to speak with a young priest who assured me that it was normal to have the kinds of conflicted thinking that I was experiencing. He suggested to me that meditation might be helpful.

I consider myself Christian. I do not resent you. I don't even know you. Now it's possible that I might resent you if we were better acquainted. And conversely, you might resent me. But I wouldn't resent you because you meditate, just as I would think it strange if you resented me for being Christian.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM

588 posts, read 764,928 times
I had absolutely no idea Christians were against meditation and yoga. I'm a Christian, yet I have no problem with either practice.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 PM

50,553 posts, read 49,921,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I have seen it happen enough now that christians resent the fact that I meditate. In fact there is one case where a guy whoes religion is the center of his life actually got belligerent with me to the point of almost having physical contact. But I have experienced resentment over the years that christians have toward people who meditate. It is probably true of other religions also but I would like to know the psychology behind it.
Why do you ask a question as if it's a fact when it isn't? I know Christians who meditate, including my priest (Episcopalian).

Why do you tell people that you meditate in the first place? If you know supposed Christians who are not going to be receptive to your meditation practices, it seems to me you'd only be telling them to get a reaction from them in the first place. Frankly, most Christians I know don't give a rat's ass if someone meditates or not, although I can see some fundamentalists saying "it's not biblical" or something. You might want to investigate the psychology behind why this odd thing seems to happen to YOU.

Or meditate on it.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM

50,553 posts, read 49,921,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I suspect, though, it's not a matter of their being Christian as much as it is a matter of centrality to their identities. Take the guy who got belligerent with you. You said that religion is the center of his life. If that's true, it tells me that he needs to see his religion as the only right one; to allow other religions or practices to be valid questions the foundation for his life, and that's both scary and dangerous to him.
Exactly, so why would the OP set himself/herself up by opening that can of worms in the first place?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM

18,290 posts, read 13,509,614 times
What I find amazing is the amount of Christians that I know who go to Pyschics and Fortune tellers. Like the church would accept this behavior

Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,030,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It's the same mindset that makes many Christians anti-yoga. I have heard theological "experts" denouncing yoga and anything to do with meditation, citing it is Satan inspired. Ridiculous.
Then again, it kind of makes me uncomfortable this tendancy to try and completely secularize yoga and make it into nothing more than a form of exercise. It's a little more than just meditation, this is a highly refined and very specific form of Hindu worship.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,067,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
I had absolutely no idea Christians were against meditation and yoga. I'm a Christian, yet I have no problem with either practice.
Yoga is something that can be contrary to Christian belief and practise if you get into the underlaying spiritualism that yoga is based on.

As a purely physical exercise I don't think there is anything contrary to Christianity.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,383,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I have seen it happen enough now that christians resent the fact that I meditate. In fact there is one case where a guy whoes religion is the center of his life actually got belligerent with me to the point of almost having physical contact. But I have experienced resentment over the years that christians have toward people who meditate. It is probably true of other religions also but I would like to know the psychology behind it.
Where are you meditating and why do you need others approval to do so? Most people don't give a darn what you do or why you do it. Sounds like you get in their face to challange them, for whatever reason.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,383,823 times
This is one of those "when did you stop beating your wife" questions.
Stupid premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or