U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 AM

9,745 posts, read 13,462,014 times

Advertisements

I've had a couple of jobs I truly hated. I've never had a job I liked, but I've only truly hated one of them. It was so bad I would be overjoyed when I'd become sick, and I normally HATE being sick more than anything. Once while driving to work, I found myself considering crashing my truck so I wouldn't have to go. That's when I knew the job was so bad it was taking my sanity, and shortly after that I quit, and that was the first time I ever quit without having another job lined up. I have no idea what the solution is, especially since everyone is different and will handle situations differently. With my other jobs being happy really was mostly a choice, but with that one I couldn't find any way to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

42,670 posts, read 70,580,394 times
Your job is not your life, it is what you have to do to sustain life.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,014,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I know it's possible, but I struggle with this. How does one maintain their happiness in life when they hate or feel indifferent towards their job especially if it's a job that takes up most of the day?
I have had good nona and bad jobs. The bad jobs, I had a picture of my kids on my desk. And looked at it every day. I loathed that job. What kept me going, is that I knew I would get out. And I did.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 AM

2,873 posts, read 4,461,539 times
I didn't so much hate my job itself as I hated the politics around it. Basically, my job was to make sure the people under me were doing their jobs in a legal manner. There were many times I would catch them doing something blatantly illegal, but they were allowed to stay for any number of reasons. It made it very difficult for me to get anything accomplished.

I would come home just brimming with rage and would rant for an hour. Then I ended up leaving for six months (I was out on disability.) When I came back, I was determined to do things differently. My coworkers and the politics weren't going to change, so I had to change my attitude.

Basically, I decided it was all hilarious. I mean...did any of it REALLY matter? Nope! My mistake was ever thinking it did. With the right view, it honestly did become funny as hell to watch. I told my boss once that the days I was walking around with a big smile were the days I remembered I didn't care.

It wasn't always easy to hold onto that viewpoint, but when I did it made things so much more pleasant. It reminded me of being in college. We had three directors in two years, our building got condemned, we had classes in a trailer...my classmates were so frustrated and angry while I would just sit in class and outright laugh until it hurt.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 AM

8,701 posts, read 6,101,515 times
it's easy to get sucked up into the crap when you spend most of your waking hours in it...I used to take it all too serious and once I figured out how to stop that, it got better but I still would not waste precious time of my life at a place I can't stand.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM

6,664 posts, read 10,953,933 times
I don't think I can be happy with a job I hate no matter how much it paid.

On the other hand, a very high paying job that I don't particularly like or dislike (besides the pay) would still be quite beneficial to my life.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM

52 posts, read 103,572 times
No I hate my job and it affects my personal life

Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM

32 posts, read 46,580 times
Not possible at all. A toxic work environment can literally destroy you. You spend 8+ hours a a day at a job you hate and among people you hate. It's not a good thing.

I want out of the corporate circus for it has destroyed so many aspects of my life and I dread going into work everyday.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,426,726 times
I was in that situation a few times. It really depends on a few factors but you can bear thru it if any of these are within your line of sight: .... if you can find some things about the work that are appealing at all, if you can make some friends at the workplace, if you believe the job will lead to another step at the company or somewhere else that you want.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM

17 posts, read 31,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants Fan View Post
No I hate my job and it affects my personal life
if you hate your job, maybe you should consider finding a job where you are comfortable to it.

As if we don't like and love our work, we need three times the energy, to force our self to work, to resist the force and finally to work. It would be rather a waste of energy and some effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or